Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V6 not starting

Views : 10503

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:18   #71

Looks like the bolts are missing from the 3 holes
140 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 140 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 14:44   #72
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140 View Post
Looks like the bolts are missing from the 3 holes
No threads in the holes the oil is in though?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 18:11   #73

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Normally NGKs are good plugs and a safe bet from wherever they come from. I did have a bad set from my local parts factor who suggested they were fakes when i described the symptoms, similar to what you've described.

Then they asked where i got them from!

Told them and first they gave me a good price on the replacement set and second, explained there had been a lot of fakes doing the rounds.

Along similar lines, i heard of a major logistics firm who bought a new fleet of artic tractor units and they were fitted with Continental tyres from the factory. All the tyres turned out to be fakes. Cost them an absolute fortune and the dealer and manufacturer of the trucks denied all liability. This was ~15 years ago now.

As for that oil leak, it actually looks like it's coming from somewhere above, running down the front cover and pooling in that hole - i could be wrong but it's often a false flag when you see oil in a hole like that.
I've never had any issues with NGK's until now, but let's not be too hasty. The replacement aren't installed yet
I have been using Denso plugs on my other cars and they are lasting well.

This oil leak is very puzzling, I have had the super bright torch on it, with rags above the hole as I too was thinking it's coming from further up. No, it still came out quite quickly from that hole, you could see the oil building up before it dribbled out of the hole
I am going to call on the services of my neighbour to investigate and hand this over to his expertise. Unfortunately the few garages I have contacted won't touch the car, the rest won't even call me back

Cheers Peter
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1978 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 20:43   #74
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
I've never had any issues with NGK's until now, but let's not be too hasty. The replacement aren't installed yet
I have been using Denso plugs on my other cars and they are lasting well.

This oil leak is very puzzling, I have had the super bright torch on it, with rags above the hole as I too was thinking it's coming from further up. No, it still came out quite quickly from that hole, you could see the oil building up before it dribbled out of the hole
I am going to call on the services of my neighbour to investigate and hand this over to his expertise. Unfortunately the few garages I have contacted won't touch the car, the rest won't even call me back

Cheers Peter
Denso make good plugs too, they are always my secod choice after NGKs - if they were the same price or cheaper than NGKs they'd be first, it's only the cost that puts me off Densos.
I've only ever known one set of NGKs do what you describe and by sheer coincidence, was in my 760 with the later B280E under the bonnet.

I wonder if your timing cover has gone porous? After hearing your diagnostic efforts, it suggests that may be the case.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 10:24   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Denso make good plugs too, they are always my secod choice after NGKs - if they were the same price or cheaper than NGKs they'd be first, it's only the cost that puts me off Densos.
I've only ever known one set of NGKs do what you describe and by sheer coincidence, was in my 760 with the later B280E under the bonnet.

I wonder if your timing cover has gone porous? After hearing your diagnostic efforts, it suggests that may be the case.

Here is a brief summery of the running rich issues which we are still trying to get to the bottom off. The Haynes manual isn't much help either.

Slowly but surely we are making some very slow progress forward, without going two steps backwards, I guess this is a good thing. In the past it has been running so rich it is filling the sump with fuel. Flooding and destroying the spark plugs. We started off with the sender unit thing in the tank, cleaned out all the lines, removed the pump from under the car, blew this out and the lines to the engine bay filter, along with what looked like tiny spider corpse's and tiny bits of debri. So I knew this part was good now and working, plenty of fuel pressure at the fuel distributor, though nothing coming out of the injectors. New injectors and spark plugs, car still wouldn't start. So we ordered a new fuel distributor kit, and on stripping the unit down found a washer had fallen off the spring which had punctured the thin tin gasket. Replaced, the rubber seals, resurfaced the 2 parts and reassembled everything, fitted this back on the the car. Now it finally started after minutes of cranking and blew black/blue/white smoke out the exhaust, not a great deal but enough to think there is something not quite right. Then it was decided to look at the distributor cap and leads, which isn't an easy task on these as the injection system is in the way of the cap coming off. Everything stripped off and access to the cap was better. We found that the dissy was missing one of the retaining clips. So out came the dissy to try and match a new one. While this was being sorted, the core plug leak water from under the exhaust manifold. This was duly replaced, new gaskets also fitted there. With all the additional new parts everything was refitted, and hey presto, a runner, well, a 4 cylinder runner and more black smoke than a poorly running diesel truck! No amount of fiddling with the mixture control would work, although the car would rev very well indeed, then it just flooded itself out. The spark plugs were soaking wet and 12 litres of fuel had disappeared very quickly. A quick check of the oil level revealed where it had gone. We drained out 8 litres of black fuel from the sump. I poured new oil in, dried off the plugs and restarted the car, only to be shocked by the amount of white/blue/black smoke from the exhaust. This was so bad it resembled a blown turbo. Then the car stopped again, now the only way we could gat the car running was to keep the throttle well open and keep feathering it. Took out a few plugs again to find them swimming in fuel. This killed the spark plugs now had totally destroyed the plugs, so a new set was ordered. The new Volvo HT leads we bought are rubbish, 3 of the ends that plus over the plugs spilt and were shorting out, so we slipped these off and fitted the original ones. Still the engine ran far too rich and flooded these new plugs. So we made the decision to remove the entire housing that holds the butterfly thing. On doing this we found the adjuster screw wasn't attached to the butterfly clip, the plunger too was a little sticky so we were guessing this may be causing the over fueling issues. Once we had fixed what was obviously someones bodge we refitted everything and got the car running on cold start idle which was such a relief. However as soon as the car started to warm up and the revs dropped slightly it stalled. Timing out, mixture out, I don't know but at least we are starting to make headway now, and no smoke out the exhaust, just a hint of over richness. I did remove a couple of the plugs and believe it of not, the tip was not black soot, of wet, just a sign of rich running. However the thin tin gasket is leak so now that has to be removed and separated...again!! I remember when I first fitted the new gasket there was a grease pack with the kit. This time I reused the old gasket and used no grease, I wonder if this has caused it to leak?

Oh, the oil has stopped leaking from the hole, but good call Laird. I guess when we replace the water pump, we will see things a bit better.

Last edited by 1978; Apr 3rd, 2024 at 10:27.
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote