Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front springs fit issue

Views : 736

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2023, 20:21   #1
tony209
Master Member

Default Front springs fit issue

I've just fitted a pair of Eibach front springs, they are 476mm, which is 16mm longer than the volvo dynamic springs originally fitted to my T5. The extra height springs should be the equivalent to the volvo standard spring and provide a smoother ride. The ride is better but there's a fit issue, the springs have compressed in a slight curve and are rubbing against the inner wheel arch. They are seated correctly top and bottom and I've fitted springs several times on various C70s so I'm confident they have been correctly fitted. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 20:39   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I'm not sure if C70 springs can be fitted upside down. However, the only time I have fitted springs and had them bowed when fitted was when I had put them in upside down by mistake.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 21:02   #3
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I'm not sure if C70 springs can be fitted upside down. However, the only time I have fitted springs and had them bowed when fitted was when I had put them in upside down by mistake.
That did cross my mind but I don't think they would seat properly and the springs have "This way up" arrows printed on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to tony209 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 21:20   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
I've just fitted a pair of Eibach front springs, they are 476mm, which is 16mm longer than the volvo dynamic springs originally fitted to my T5. The extra height springs should be the equivalent to the volvo standard spring and provide a smoother ride. The ride is better but there's a fit issue, the springs have compressed in a slight curve and are rubbing against the inner wheel arch. They are seated correctly top and bottom and I've fitted springs several times on various C70s so I'm confident they have been correctly fitted. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?
are your shocks standard volvo or have some after market ones been fitted to lower the ride height ? i will look at my c70 tomorrow to see how my springs sit and report back .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 05:37   #5
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
are your shocks standard volvo or have some after market ones been fitted to lower the ride height ? i will look at my c70 tomorrow to see how my springs sit and report back .
Shocks are Koni active, they are advertised as "not suitable for lowered suspension", so I guess they have been designed for standard springs. I've had these on the car fitted with KYB springs, no fit issues but they have the wrong length for the C70, being 18mm shorter than the Volvo dynamic spring fitted to the T5. The KYB spring make the front of the car too low and the ride very hard.

The ride with the combination of the Koni shocks and the Eibach springs is excellent, with scuttle shake through the steering wheel almost completely eliminated and without any reduction in handling quality - it's just this fit and rubbing issue!
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 20:19   #6
Phillsinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
I have the same issue, I rebuilt both struts all new componants and they have the bow in them, I have even tried turning springs but with the same issue, only plus it did pass the mot like it. But I think I will purchase the pre built set to see how and where it went wrong, as the front end rides very low.
Phillsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 21:06   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillsinger View Post
I have the same issue, I rebuilt both struts all new componants and they have the bow in them, I have even tried turning springs but with the same issue, only plus it did pass the mot like it. But I think I will purchase the pre built set to see how and where it went wrong, as the front end rides very low.
Are these Volvo components or are they the same brands as Tony's set up.

If the same as Tony's is it possible there is a duff batch of springs and you both have been unfortunate in purchasing from that batch?
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 21:11   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

with the replacement springs and shocks i have fitted monroe there is no rubbing or deflection of the springs a friend of mine has bilstine b6 fitted again with no fitment issues i cant under stand how the minimal extra length on your springs is causing problems i would just monitor it and see if if it settles
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 17:36   #9
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
with the replacement springs and shocks i have fitted monroe there is no rubbing or deflection of the springs a friend of mine has bilstine b6 fitted again with no fitment issues i cant under stand how the minimal extra length on your springs is causing problems i would just monitor it and see if if it settles
I don't understand it either, even if the were too long, they should still compress uniformly. I too one set off, compared the pigtails to the KYB and the original Volvo springs to see if there was a difference in the angles but they are the same. I refitted the spring 'by the book', compressing the spring to 300 mm and correctly torqued. As soon as I took the spring compressors off, the spring bowed. I've emailed Koni and Eibach - no reply.

On an urban cycle, the spring and shock combination provide a much improved ride, even my girlfriend noticed and she hasdn't been in the car for a couple of months. However, I did a bit of long distance driving recently, A roads and motorway and the handling is awful! Entering over 50mph and the car wallows and even worse, pulls to one side under hard braking. They are coming off at the first chance I can get and the Volvo springs are going back on.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 18:26   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

thats not good from either company. safety first if its affecting the handling replace with new volvo springs or replace the old ones if the budget is tight. can you send back the faulty springs? did you get them from a reputable source?. most places have a returns policy if you quote the problems you are experiencing under the not fit for use.