Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lead Times & Air Suspension

Views : 4617

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2016, 20:57   #1
Deman77
Master Member

Just saw that you are considering b&w. It does sound great in a stationary car with the engine off. When driving I find it underpowered - I don't think the amp is strong enough. Again there is a recall on my16 b&w amp which might improve delivery, but after 3 weeks with my16 on loan I am not blown away. With all the road and engine noise (which is acceptable in my loaner but still there) it's not much better than standard to my ears. For the money you should get the fuel heater, 4zobe aircon with rear seat heat, family pack - which are all much more useful. I really wanted to like it as this is one of the few options I didn't tick in my car but it was not as good in practice. Very nicely looking though - enhances car interior. In r design in brightens the things up.

Last edited by Deman77; Aug 8th, 2016 at 20:59. Reason: Typos
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 22:37   #2
shortword

4 Corner Air adds around 6 weeks to a new order.

I considered it just before the cut off for my T8 R-Design and my dealer asked Volvo what delay if any it would cause and they said 4-6 weeks.

3K KM into ownership and all is well btw, no bugs. No weird ****.

Regards,

Paul
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shortword For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 20:35   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simdru View Post
Hi everyone, first post so please be kind! We've recently received the good news that our family is to grow by +1 and as a result we are looking to acquire a practical, safe and comfortable genuine 7-seater around August 2017. We make a few long trips to northern Scotland every year to visit family, laden down with Christmas presents etc and only a large 7-seater will suffice. Looking at the UK market there seems to be only 4 cars with the combination of space, comfort & AWD that interest me; The Audi Q7 (beyond our budget), Landrover Discovery (likewise), Volvo XC90 (at top-end of budget) or a Kia Sorento (more comfortably within budget!). So ultimately it will boil down to a choice between a Sorento or the Volvo. My head says spend circa £15k less on the Sorento, which offers excellent value as you get a lot of kit for your money and a 7 year warranty. But my heart says spend an extra £15k on the Volvo, I've fallen in love with the R-Design in Bursting Blue, it really is a stunning car and you only live once. Yes, i've read all the horror stories on here about electrical glitches and road noise, but that hasn't put me off.

Anyway, i've waffled enough. My 2 main questions are, firstly, does anyone know the current approximate lead time on new R-Designs? I need to know how quickly i need to start booking test drives and actually making a decision. Second, to mitigate road noise on the 20" tyres, can people please give me their opinions on whether the extra £2k on air suspension is a worthwhile investment? Has someone driven an R-Design on 20's on both normal & air suspension, and can they offer an objective opinion? I suspect I won't have the opportunity to test drive both and I wouldn't particularly like to rely on a dealers opinion. I have actually E-mailed my nearest dealer with the lead time question and I didn't receive a response, unlikely he'll be receiving my custom! Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Save your money, I have air suspension and have driven the standard suspension xc90 and prefer the standard over mine, it is not worth paying £2,100 for. I added it thinking it would be a softer comfortable ride and I would regret it if I did not have it but after driving the standard suspension car I do wish I had saved my £2,100, the air suspension does very little if anything to improve comfort or ride quality, but does work with drive modes to adjust car height and lowers car for access. I would not miss it if I did not have it.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 21:33   #4
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Save your money, I have air suspension and have driven the standard suspension xc90 and prefer the standard over mine, it is not worth paying £2,100 for. I added it thinking it would be a softer comfortable ride and I would regret it if I did not have it but after driving the standard suspension car I do wish I had saved my £2,100, the air suspension does very little if anything to improve comfort or ride quality, but does work with drive modes to adjust car height and lowers car for access. I would not miss it if I did not have it.
Thanks for your honest opinion as almost everyone who has paid for air suspension says it is so much better than the standard setup. Gives me more confidence with the standard setup I have chosen cannot be all that bad.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 21:48   #5
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Thanks for your honest opinion as almost everyone who has paid for air suspension says it is so much better than the standard setup. Gives me more confidence with the standard setup I have chosen cannot be all that bad.
Do you plan to fully load the cargo area or tow a (heavy) trailer?
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 22:26   #6
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Do you plan to fully load the cargo area or tow a (heavy) trailer?
Will not be towing and only occasionally fully loaded.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 07:49   #7
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
You probably won't be able to feel the difference, but driving a fully loaded car with
auto-leveling is far better than without it, but (perhaps) unfortunately air suspension
is the only way to have auto-leveling in the XC90.
I don't want to buy a new car without auto-leveling anymore.
It could even be described as a safety feature, certainly at higher speeds.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 19:57   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default towing

Quote:
I tow quite a heavy caravan with my XC90 D5 with air suspension and find that it is not quite as stable as my old 2013 XC90 on motorways and dual carriageways, you feel side winds and sideways movement when overtaking or being overtaken by large vehicles more that I ever experienced with my old XC90 which was really stable but the power of the new volvo is far better to tow with and you hardly know you are towing, I think the air suspension may be the cause of the slight movement, but the new car is a dream to tow with regarding the pulling power, far better than the old one that way. (The car and caravan are both equiped with electronic trailer stability control systems and caravan has Alko hitch stabiliser and always loaded correctly for correct nose weight and trim)

Warning, for anyone who is going to tow with their new XC90, dont tow in Dynamic mode as this disables the cars towing stability system. It pulls really well in comfort and eco modes.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote