Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need advice on towbars/electrics V70

Views : 1080

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2022, 18:47   #1
Zedster

Default Need advice on towbars/electrics V70

Looking to fit a towbar to my 2011 V70. Don't think I need detachable head so considering either a Brink fixed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273459789...kAAOSwDOlbmnlL or Towtrust fixed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334355640...wAAOSwanViJkdB Does anyone have any experience of these? are they any good?

For the electrics I was considering a ECS dedicated wiring https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334349467...53.m1438.l2649 it claims not to need coding. But others here seam to suggest coding is required.

If coding is required how easy is it to DIY? I have DICE/Vida which I bought when I purchased the car. But I haven't really used it since. So not proficient.
Zedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 20:06   #2
tonys1966

Default towbar

i originally didnt think the tow module needed coded in but Clan said it does-and he knows his stuff with these-what i will say is if you unplug it -the car knows its missing so i was wrong
I believe a genuine vida workshop edition or similar will let you buy the software but our clones will not do it
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 21:03   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedster View Post
Looking to fit a towbar to my 2011 V70. Don't think I need detachable head so considering either a Brink fixed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273459789...kAAOSwDOlbmnlL or Towtrust fixed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334355640...wAAOSwanViJkdB Does anyone have any experience of these? are they any good?

For the electrics I was considering a ECS dedicated wiring https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334349467...53.m1438.l2649 it claims not to need coding. But others here seam to suggest coding is required.

If coding is required how easy is it to DIY? I have DICE/Vida which I bought when I purchased the car. But I haven't really used it since. So not proficient.
The volvo wiring kit is quite reasonably priced and needs software to code it to the car's specifications . This can only be done by a volvo authorised workshop . The 13 pin is the preferred and you can get a 7 Pin adapter from them if you need one .

Full details including fitting instructions here:

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-480821/2011
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 10:07   #4
Tony Rama

I bought a second hand Westfalia detachable bar. It came with a PF Jones 7 pin wiring kit. (they also do a 13 pin kit). It has a plug and play box which does the basic functions. Marker lights, brake lights, indicators, fog lamp and reversing light. The reversing sensors on the car have to be manually cancelled via the dashboard switch every time the ignition is switched on.

I found it to be a acceptable basic alternative to the full Volvo version.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 18:58   #5
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rama View Post
The reversing sensors on the car have to be manually cancelled via the dashboard switch every time the ignition is switched on. .
with or without a trailer attached?
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 22:42   #6
Tony Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
with or without a trailer attached?
Only with the trailer, and only in reverse gear. The tow hook doesn't trigger them.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 00:09   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

For me, who specified my XC70 to be as good a towing car as possible, there was no alternative to Volvo's own TRailer Module.
  • Full support for 13-pin connector, including +12V constant and switched power.
  • Sensing of malfunction for turn indicator and brake light on trailer.
  • Automatic interface to park assist sensors.
  • Automatic interface to rear parking camera.
  • Automatically turns off rear fog light on car when the trailer is attached.
  • Tells the car's anti-sway system the trailer is attached, if the car is equipped with that system.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:47   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

How much do you actually save by fitting a non Volvo towing module? The previous owners of my XC70 did that and it caused all manner of problems because it was bodged into the electrical system. The Volvo dealership fixed it because they sold me the car in that condition and their pre-sale check did not identify the problem. The joke is that I never tow anything! But having the faults that fitting the cheapo modules eliminated was all I needed.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 23:20   #9
Tony Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
How much do you actually save by fitting a non Volvo towing module?
A lot, since it came with a second hand towbar. This particular module just plugs into the Volvo socket and that's it. Basic functions. These PF Jones modules are about £120, but it was thrown in with the towbar.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 09:05   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

I typically have something on the hitch once a week, on average. So I didn't mess with anything substandard when I bought the car. I bought it new, and aimed for a good car for towing, so in my case it was no discussion.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote