Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is the S80 as bad in performance as people say?

Views : 1812

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 00:38   #11
d_aero

Smile

I have a D3 Auto S80. Very nice car, proper big cruiser. Can happily drive all day in it without getting backache. Very reliable, well built and excellent value for money second hand.

Always looked at Audi, BMW and Mercs but usually prefer the interiors of the volvos. S80 interior in my mind is a masterpeice of simple design. The standard sound system is also great.

Economy at high 40 sat at 70 on motoroway is not to be scoffed at. You might find the other prestige cars can be more economical but it will take you years to recoup the extra cost. No guarantee that they will be as reliable from what I have read either.

Handling is ok for a luxury cruiser. The ultimate driving machines might go round corners better but with summer tyres on they don,t go very far in the snow! Have all season Nokian Entyres on mine and they have lasted really well - I mean a lot better than normal summer tyres. Don't know how but they have.
d_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 22:38   #12
S40 Squared

We have a fully loaded 57 reg S80 2.4D SE Lux Geartronic and the MPG is worse than our previous 03 plate S80 D5 SE auto at 38 MPG vs 44MPG. Geartronic is the killer in MPG. Newer versions are more efficient (09 plate on). Ours is used for cruising and A-roads and has done 110k fairly trouble free. We do about 800 miles a week now and in perfect comfort.

Regarding power, you can absolutely whoop others backsides on the motorway (should you wish to), up hills and it surprises a lot of people as they don't expect it to shift. It just keeps on climbing to 70MPH and well beyond that. It is not that much heavier than a BMW 5 /Merc E and a lot more reliable (friends testify that).

The main thing is the 5 cylinder noise - amazing and meaty sound.
Buy a used one, sit back, relax and enjoy the comfort and power of a D4, D5 (163bhp to 215bhp). D3 (2.0) will be okay for every day use and drive model will be slow (it is in the S60).
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 23:31   #13
Dibble
VOC Member

Had my 07, 2.4 D5 (185) automatic for just over a month now. It has just broken 50,000 miles and on a run returning just over 40mpg. 520 miles to York and back in one day. Less than my D5 S60 but it is a bigger car. I don't know what engine was in the cars previously mentioned but if I choose then this one can get off its backside.
A very comfortable, well built car and just a delight as far as I am concerned.
I have had the BMW, Audi etc and I will stick to my Volvo.
My first S80 had the 2.9 petrol engine and although heavier on fuel it could still easily break 30mpg and it too was delightful.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 22:36   #14
formbysquirrel

Default S80 1.6D Drive

I have had the S80 with a 1.6 drive engine for 3years next month. When driven it is usually driver plus one passenger, so it is rarely driven fully loaded. I find that the car accelerates quickly and the only issue I find is that the gearbox needs more use on hills. The car is a great motorway cruiser and my combined mpg is about 52.
I think if I had another I would go for auto.
Very comfortable and stress free motoring.
formbysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote