Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG Conversion

Views : 1010

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 05:16   #1
ruhip

Default LPG Conversion

Hey,

I am considering converting my 87 240 GL to Lpg. I found a guy (live in Thailand) and he said he can do it. What precautions, advice do you guys have? Is it going to be harder on my engine, fuel system etc.. I know nothing about the conversion. Thanks
ruhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:34   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

should be no problem with valve / set quality as there can be on 10 year newer volvo heads , but think wisely , LPG in UK is rapidy rising in price in comparison with petrol making LPG less attractive in it's own right when you work out the time you have to wait to even break even let alone make a profit ..
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 22:35   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I hope to be doing an article on lpg. Main thing is making sure it is good quality eqipment - the best vapouriser is the OMVL R90. There is risk of backfire with any lpg system. Always keep engine electrics, cap, rotor leads and plugs in good condition as a weak spark causes backfire as can weak mixture. I prefer to replace airbox and pipe with sports filter. If fitting to K Jetronic fit mixer to metering unit not throttle body. If you need any pictures of instal I can help here let me know exactly what model you have.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:21   #4
ruhip

Default Thanks

Thanks for the valuable info. I appreciate any pics of the conversion and specific info. on recommended parts for the conversion. My model is 1987 240 GL not fuel injected
ruhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 23:38   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

These pictures may help:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbpicg...?do=view&g=598

The tank is a 315mm 70 litre - a tight fit but it goes in. Make sure it and the multivalve comply with current standards. the multivalve should have electric and mechanical shut off.

Mike

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 21:30   #6
BrianH
VOC Member

Default BrianH

My 1989 245 GL with the B200E engine, was converted in 2001 at 125k,costing £1540 through the club.
Bristol is the cheapest but currently I pay 49.9 Esso to 54.9 with Shell discount per litre locally in the Bournemouth area.
Autogas has now been added to the the Gordon Brown's fuel accumilator in 2007 (about + 7.5%). However the EU dictat holds that Autogas is a green fuel, and is protected!!!
For 12 months I had London Congestion Charge exemption.
Currently the B200E is at 312K with only the head gasket and the poppet valve seals renewed. The cylinder pressures are well within Volvo spec. and the oil consumption at 6k per ltr. This engine seems to be bomb proof. Since new I have run at between 3000 and 3500 rpm in 5th gear, sometimes 4000 rpm in the gears.
I started to use fully synthetic Mobil 1 at 57k and Amsoil 2000 Series at 125k, with by-pass filtration and with oil sampling at 6 months I seldom change the oil. Currently at 22k......... max. 100k.
Autogas is very very clean...virtually no carbon particulates (breather is always clean)...... 85% of engine failures are due to dirt, so an K&N air filter also helps. Then Kenlowe engine preheater helps the rest................no window scraping in the morming , just drive off.
With the mileage I cover in a month I save £100 on using premium petrol (B200E engine 10:1 compression)........
The gas tank is a 100ltr and is filled with 80 ltr of fuel.
THIS LARGE TANK IS PLACED BEHIND THE REAR SEAT OF THE ESTATE. YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE...

Who needs a new car with all that new construction carbon foot print.

Ah! yes.... perfect electrics are essential............... as mentioned.

From the cylinder pressure tests, I extrapulated that it should go to 800k.
This car will out last me.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 19:24   #7
amsoil

Just interested if the Amsoil S2000 actually failed at 100,000k testing and what exactly was the reason why you did change it then? I did think you might get some flak from non- believers so perhaps some progress is being made.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 19:26   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
These pictures may help:

The tank is a 315mm 70 litre - a tight fit but it goes in. Make sure it and the multivalve comply with current standards. the multivalve should have electric and mechanical shut off.

Mike
Just realised I made a mistake over the size of tank it is 300 x 1080 70 litre.

Mike

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:31   #9
BrianH
VOC Member

Default BrianH

More about the Amsoil 2000 series oil and oil analysis by ALcontrol Robertson for about £12.

I have just looked at my spread sheet again which logs all the 6 monthly oil analysis results and I see from the start at 125000 I ran through to 268800 before the oil was changed. The oil did not fail.......the head gasket did, and when it was changed by Volvo, the oil was contaminated by Sodium Na (salt) from the antifreeze. The base, unused oil, has less than 1 part per million Na. For for 5 analysis that stayed at 1ppm then to 2, 13, 10, then head gasket changed after water loss and Na went through the roof at 612!!!
From this I could see Iron Fe went from a normal running wear of 10ppm to 19ppm........... to 62 ppm. This is bore and ring wear!
Amsoil said change the oil and just the full flow filter. Next analysis showed 237. Changed oil again..........down to 94. Changed oil again, full flow filter, by-pass filter, and flushed engine with clean oil. Now down to 7, and Iron to 31 and a clean bill of health from Robertson.

It is clear now that if you dismantle the engine.........CHANGE THE OIL!!

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:26   #10
amsoil

Thats nearly 145,000 miles on Amsoil without an oil change, far from a record but you where let down by the head gasket! (believe the record is 406,000 in a lorry! unless anyone else knows better) Its been a very hard slog trying to convince people that the oil is so good it can do long change intervals and save them money, time and labour costs.
By my crude calcs you have saved over £1,000 in oil alone but I'm sure this is minor when compared to the fuels cost savings. Way to go.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote