Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Worn steering wheel?

Views : 963

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 13:58   #1
TheLostSwede

Has anyone else got a worn stering wheel?
I've recently bought my second hand S40 2.0T '99 model and the steering wheel is worn so much in a couple of places that the outer layer has come off. Is this common and how much is it to replace the steering wheel?

/TheLostSwede
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:27   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Worn steering wheel?

Your dealer should be able to repair it. A new wheel will be many of your English pounds.

Is it a silver 2.0T? Where did you buy it from?

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 22:52   #3
TheLostSwede

Thanks for the answer, but I'm not sure it is repairable as it is not a leather steering wheel. I got the car from www.gtccar.co.uk and it has now done just over 94k on the clock.
The good news is when I phoned Volvo to book my first service I was told that it was a '00 not a '99 as it was sold as even though it is a T reg. I guess Volvo change models mid year.
It is not silver, it's metallic blue and the best car I have ever owned (ok, it's only my third car but hey) but it is not as nice as my dads S60 2.4T with all the extras.... oh well, one can only dream.
Anyhow, the steering wheel is worn at the bottom half, just below the place where I find it natural to rest my thumbs if I'm troddling along on the motor way or in cues. Very odd place to be honest.
The other thing is that something has been spilt on the dash board, was some pink gue and it seems to have been some sort of acid as it has eaten away part of the dash board surface so it is all smoth and shiny now. Kind of odd things, but the engine runs well and it is a comfortable drive and I got it for a steal so I'm very happy.
The idi*#% who had it before me though managed to fit four odd tires on it so I'm going to have those changed on saturday.
Oh, anyone got a spare set of 16" alloys going cheap ;-)

/Lars
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 14:10   #4
aa

I had a similar problem on a S40 1.6XS of similar age; fortunately it was under warranty and they replaced it free of charge. The surface had worn off after 40000 miles, particularly at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions where you normally hold the wheel.

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 21:14   #5
Ray_T
Ray T

Default RE: Worn steering wheel?

16" alloys on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=28648

Any good?

Ray T
Ray_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 23:28   #6
TheLostSwede

Well, that's the odd thing, those places are fine this is more around the 4-5ish and 7-8ish area. Anyhow, I'll ask Volvo next week when I service it about what can be done.

/Lars
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 23:32   #7
TheLostSwede

Looks nice, but a tad expensive buy it now price.
And they're kind of scraped as well...
Oh well, I just got some new tires anyhow so I guess this will have to wait

/Lars