Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 CD 1998 handbook needed and heater problems

Views : 1313

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 22:16   #1
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default V40 CD 1998 handbook needed and heater problems

Hi all,
I have been running 1988 240 estate for 5 years and am really impressed with the build quality in the model.
I have now bought a v40cd 2.0 litre 16 valve 1988.
I am need of access to a handbook or even just copies of the pages showing what all the switches are for.
The heater is acting strangley.
It has climate control and when turning the blower to auto or manual speeds the air comes out of the face vents like a hurricane but virtually nothing out of the screen vents (demisters)no matter where the rotary switch is set.
I have just put a timing belt and tensioner on it,well what a job.
I have put 2 timing belts on the old one and they were a doddle compared to this,oh well that's progress I suppose.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:56   #2
Mav_UK

Default RE: V40 CD 1998 handbook needed and heater problems

Don't you have to take the upper engine mount off to change the cam belt? It's more FWD than progress I think though as far as hassle is concerned - on the 240 the cam belt should be facing you and have easy access, on the V40 it's at the side and a pig to get at...

As for the CC, when you put it onto demister the AC should turn on (or if it's cold the light should come on, but the AC won't.), it should go to max power and after a second or two it should direct the air to the screen. If it's not doing the last then I'd say you need to get it checked out. Sorry.

Stu
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 18:40   #3
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: V40 CD 1998 handbook needed and heater problems

Thanks for the gen re the heater Stu.
I will try that tommorrow.
Yes I did have to take the top engine mount off after making a lifting beam.
I meant that it was such a pig of a job compared to the 240.
About the only better bit was removing the bottom pulley.
On the 240 I had to remove the rad first time around and get a puller on the pulley.
Second time was easy as I had put some never seize compound on the shaft.
When I took the nut off it just slid off as if I had just put it on.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 17:25   #4
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default GOT ONE

Hi all,
I have got one at last and now know what all the knobs,switches and idiot lights are for.
I can now tell if a door is open or my seatbelt is'nt fastened !!
Wonderful this modern technology is'nt it ?.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 14:54   #5
Mav_UK

Err as far as the seatbelt goes remember something... If you are in the habbit of not wearing yours anyone *following* you can see the flashing light above your rear view mirror...

Stu
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 22:31   #6
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: GOT ONE

let me tell you that if I did'nt wear a seat belt there would be no idiot light flashing.
It could be bypassed easy but as I always wear mine it does'nt apply.
I was just making a point that I do not need idiot lights to tell a door is open,bonnet open,oil change due or seat belts on.
vjck_uk
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 09:47   #7
Mav_UK

The easiest method being simply always leaving the belt clicked in and sitting on it.

As for the others - I know many people who reallly would benefit from these things. I know people who literally do not realise that cars need servicing to work. A light saying 'Service' is a really good idea for them. Not required for everyone - I generally get my car serviced before (or in the case of my Spit service it myself) before the light comes on - I'd rather service it a couple of miles early then a few miles late.

As for the door light. Is actually more use than you first think. Your passengers get in the rear and close the door. It looks closed to them, but it's only latched. You know from the light that it's not actually closed and get them to check who's door isn't completely closed.

Stu

One of the things we say in software development is always make things as idiot proof as possible - always cater for the worst possible user. Of course we also say that if you have an idiot proof system, you'll just get a better class of idiot...

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 20:14   #8
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: GOT ONE

Hi Stu,
Although I did'nt agree with the seatbelt compulsion when it was introduced,I always wear mine as I don't want to get knicked.
Regarding the idiot lights what happens if a bulb goes?,do you check all you idiot lights each time you start? .I think it's a bit like self cancelling flashers. How often do you see someone driving along with a flasher going,sometimes for 10+ miles on the motorway just because they did'nt have to turn sharp enough to turn them off.
I was driving in the pre self cancelling era and consequently always turn mine off manually before the mechanism does it for me.
I have a backup in the unlikely case I forget as I've been doing so for 40 years.
The door open lights is another one as soon as you are up to 30mph ish the wind noise gives the game away. How many times have you seen a car quite happily travelling down the motorway with a door on the first latch?
Just because a light has'nt come on to tell them they don't know that something is wrong.