Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Opinions - MY22 R-Design or MY23 Plus?

Views : 1915

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2022, 11:57   #1
TaffyJerseyBean

Default Opinions - MY22 R-Design or MY23 Plus?

Hi I'm new to the forum and joined because 1) I'm about to buy my first Volvo and 2) I have a question to ask you all.

I've been without a car (BMW X3) since the end of my lease in March. Always promised myself an XC90 so took the plunge on a brilliant deal thanks to the Q1 conquest scheme and ordered a MY23 B5D Plus in Thunder Grey, with Nappa Sports seats and tinted rear glass as options. It was estimated Nov/Dec, then came forward to Aug and is now sitting on a mid Sept delivery.

Another dealer I'd been talking to called today so say he's just taken delivery of a MY22 B5D R-Design in Savile Grey with added Lounge and Climate packs plus Nappa seats and wireless charging. He's put together a great deal but it will cost me around a grand more than the Plus I'd previously ordered.

Spec-wise it looks like I'm gaining the more robust Sensus infotainment system but losing the shadow technology headlights and 360 camera. Headlights not a deal breaker but the camera is a bit of a loss.

I need to let him know ASAP so wondered what your thoughts are?

Wait for the MY23 Plus with the risk of a flaky infotainment system that may irritate the hell out of me (I love my music!) and the risk of delivery moving OR go for the MY22 R-Design available right now? (I'm using my wife's tiny Kia right now and its doing my head in!)

Look forward to hearing your opinions as I'm torn.

TaffyJerseyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TaffyJerseyBean For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:49   #2
Dohnut

A question only you can answer really.

Personally I'd take the MY22 but try and squeeze the deal as much as possible in lieu of missing out on the camera.
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:56   #3
TaffyJerseyBean

Thanks Dohnut. Think I've squeezed as much as I can as the dealer has included 3 years servicing and a few accessories to sweeten the deal but said its their limit as it is a physical car that will command a lot of attention.

I'll admit a lack of 360 camera and additional £1,000 are negatives but its a toss up between biting the bullet and the risks involved with the Google system and delivery estimates changing.

From the video I've received its a good looking car and ticks every other box I'd want.
Old May 13th, 2022, 13:14   #4
rhd443

I would go for the 2022,

There are features missing from the new MY2023 that the RDesign has, just look at the steering wheel in the MY23 plus model compared to the 2022 RDesign. It looks like something you get in a cheap grade VW Polo without the bottom gloss black spoke section, it doesnt even look like its leather!

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/shop/xc...allery/#image4

Does the MY2022 have the mode select rotary button next to the start knob? Thats very useful in the older models. One here is a 2022 model: https://www.taggarts.co.uk/volvo/new...onic/id/309108

But hands down, Sensus wins, its had enough updates to iron out issues, mines been flawless

Does the my2023 have hidden/no tailpipes in the rear bumper?
i think the 2022 still has chrome exhaust tailpipes, which really set off the looks.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 13:19   #5
Dohnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
Does the MY2022 have the mode select rotary button next to the start knob? Thats very useful in the older models. One here is a 2022 model: https://www.taggarts.co.uk/volvo/new...onic/id/309108

But hands down, Sensus wins, its had enough updates to iron out issues, mines been flawless

Does the my2023 have hidden/no tailpipes in the rear bumper?
i think the 2022 still has chrome exhaust tailpipes, which really set off the looks.
Re Rotary Drive Mode button and chrome tailpipes... they were also dropped for the last of the MY22's too.
Old May 13th, 2022, 13:37   #6
TaffyJerseyBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
Re Rotary Drive Mode button and chrome tailpipes... they were also dropped for the last of the MY22's too.
I guess the lack of tailpipes diminishes the difference in external appearance between MY22 and MY23 to practically zero.

Am I also right in thinking Apple Carplay is not standard on the R-Design with Lounge Pack / HK system? Can this be added by the dealer or is this only a factory option?
Old May 13th, 2022, 13:56   #7
Dohnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaffyJerseyBean View Post
Am I also right in thinking Apple Carplay is not standard on the R-Design with Lounge Pack / HK system? Can this be added by the dealer or is this only a factory option?
My order form (R-Design Pro) quotes "Smartphone Integration (includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto)" but not sure if it would be the same for R-Design.

Think I've read on here Apple Car Play can be retrofitted but I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will confirm.
Old May 13th, 2022, 14:00   #8
Ian0803

I had the choice of ordering a MY23 Plus with a "who knows when we will deliver it" from a dealer or take a showroom MY22 Momentum that was available immediately.
I was surprised the Momentum had all the safety features of higher spec models and came with 20 inch rims, shadow headlights, 360 camera, CarPlay and so on.

I have never wanted a sunroof, so no loss there, but I did want the HK stereo only to find that the std HiFi was good enough and I think on a par with the HK in my last 2 BMW's

For me, no 360 camera would have been a deal breaker, something I really missed when I changed from a BMW 540i to an X3. Its a big car and is really useful.

Might be worth a quick check to see what other quick delivery options that might be available from the Volvo or Autotrader websites.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 14:16   #9
TaffyJerseyBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
I would go for the 2022,

There are features missing from the new MY2023 that the RDesign has, just look at the steering wheel in the MY23 plus model compared to the 2022 RDesign. It looks like something you get in a cheap grade VW Polo without the bottom gloss black spoke section, it doesnt even look like its leather!
Indeed. To get the R-Design steering wheel and charcoal headlining you have to add the £1,500 nappa leather sport seat upgrade on the MY23 Plus.
Old May 13th, 2022, 14:19   #10
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaffyJerseyBean View Post
Hi I'm new to the forum and joined because 1) I'm about to buy my first Volvo and 2) I have a question to ask you all.

I've been without a car (BMW X3) since the end of my lease in March. Always promised myself an XC90 so took the plunge on a brilliant deal thanks to the Q1 conquest scheme and ordered a MY23 B5D Plus in Thunder Grey, with Nappa Sports seats and tinted rear glass as options. It was estimated Nov/Dec, then came forward to Aug and is now sitting on a mid Sept delivery.

Another dealer I'd been talking to called today so say he's just taken delivery of a MY22 B5D R-Design in Savile Grey with added Lounge and Climate packs plus Nappa seats and wireless charging. He's put together a great deal but it will cost me around a grand more than the Plus I'd previously ordered.

Spec-wise it looks like I'm gaining the more robust Sensus infotainment system but losing the shadow technology headlights and 360 camera. Headlights not a deal breaker but the camera is a bit of a loss.

I need to let him know ASAP so wondered what your thoughts are?

Wait for the MY23 Plus with the risk of a flaky infotainment system that may irritate the hell out of me (I love my music!) and the risk of delivery moving OR go for the MY22 R-Design available right now? (I'm using my wife's tiny Kia right now and its doing my head in!)

Look forward to hearing your opinions as I'm torn.

You say no 360 camera. But does it come with the rear camera? If not, I think they are a dealer fit circa £1000.

Although Sensus is dated, at least it works as do all the steering wheel functions. Read some of the threads Re. AAOS and Ver 2 updates to gauge the disappointment of new owners.