Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying new Xc90

Views : 1490

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 11:21   #1
graym

Default Buying new Xc90

So after having an 03 xc90 for several years and finding out that the new model that was due in 2012 is now not due till 2015, we have been in to price up a new model yesterday. Went to look at an executive and an R-design, and decided that we'd rather have aluminium trim, quad exhausts and save £3,000 (on the R) than wood finish, massage seats and fancy leather (on exec). Not getting many options as the R already has most of what we wanted, so the only boxes we ticked were metallic black paint, tow bar and heated seats.

I've been more than happy with the standard sound system in our existing xc90, except for the lack of USB, Bluetooth and iphone connectivity, which the R seems to have now as standard.

I didn't tick sat-nav as I haven't found an in-car sat nav that's as good as our stand alone TomTom. It also costs a lot and we are looking to move back to New Zealand where we're from in a couple of years and I doubt whether we could get maps for NZ.

Drive the deal price was a smidge over £30k, so we took that with us to Chiswick, they weren't able to match but were within a few hundred £.
My only issues (we haven't signed on the dotted line yet) are with the wheels - I much prefer the 19" Galateia wheels on the exec to the 19 Ixion's on the R.
But they said they couldn't change to the Gala's. Hmmmm.

They offered £3500 for our 03 with 75,000 on the clock, I think we could do better selling privately.

Going for a 50% deposit and the rest over 24 months with 0% finance.

My question for anyone else who has gone through the same process, is there any options box you wished you had ticked and didn't (or vica-verca).

Interested in hearing from anyone else whose done this or is planning to do this.
Lastly we went home and then realised we'd only looked and hadn't driven either of the cars. Obviously already owning one we thought they'd be about the same. Is that a mistake? Is the R suspension that much harder than what we've got?

Cheers in advance.
graym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:04   #2
A lex
Premier Member

Having the DynAudio 'premium sound' in mine, id never want to go back to a std. system.

Although its fair to say that the Nav system is a little antiquated, not having the screen in the dash also precludes you having the trick things such as reverse camera and perhaps even the RSE? I suppose it depends on whats important to you and whether you are going to keep it 'forever' or punt it on in a few years time....?

The Ixions look good in the flesh IMO and come as part of the R package, so id 'live with it' - theres nothing stopping you changing them further down the line.

Std. leather is great and with the R pack, you should get the two-tone I think.

Any 2013 model is going to be a nice car, no doubt about it - in my opinion (and its probably not one thatll be shared) id only ever buy a car like an XC90 with all the nice toys ticked - i.e. as a new or used buyer I would want:

-front and rear park assist
-camera
-Dynaudio
-HIDS
-RSE

Enjoy the car if you get it - I have to ask, are you not tempted to but pre-ref or nearly new and save yourself a packet....?

eg:

4k miles, <1 yr old. Every option ticked. Looks stunning IMO:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Volvo...item25821e0824

re: the dealer trade-in on your old one.... sounds about right. Of course you will get more privately, but then you have to try and shift an old car in a difficult market. £3.5k doesnt sound unfair when you consider the dealer will need to prep etc for re-sale.

All in my opinion of course!
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:12   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graym View Post
So after having an 03 xc90 for several years and finding out that the new model that was due in 2012 is now not due till 2015, we have been in to price up a new model yesterday. Went to look at an executive and an R-design, and decided that we'd rather have aluminium trim, quad exhausts and save £3,000 (on the R) than wood finish, massage seats and fancy leather (on exec). Not getting many options as the R already has most of what we wanted, so the only boxes we ticked were metallic black paint, tow bar and heated seats.

I've been more than happy with the standard sound system in our existing xc90, except for the lack of USB, Bluetooth and iphone connectivity, which the R seems to have now as standard.

I didn't tick sat-nav as I haven't found an in-car sat nav that's as good as our stand alone TomTom. It also costs a lot and we are looking to move back to New Zealand where we're from in a couple of years and I doubt whether we could get maps for NZ.

Drive the deal price was a smidge over £30k, so we took that with us to Chiswick, they weren't able to match but were within a few hundred £.
My only issues (we haven't signed on the dotted line yet) are with the wheels - I much prefer the 19" Galateia wheels on the exec to the 19 Ixion's on the R.
But they said they couldn't change to the Gala's. Hmmmm.

They offered £3500 for our 03 with 75,000 on the clock, I think we could do better selling privately.

Going for a 50% deposit and the rest over 24 months with 0% finance.

My question for anyone else who has gone through the same process, is there any options box you wished you had ticked and didn't (or vica-verca).

Interested in hearing from anyone else whose done this or is planning to do this.
Lastly we went home and then realised we'd only looked and hadn't driven either of the cars. Obviously already owning one we thought they'd be about the same. Is that a mistake? Is the R suspension that much harder than what we've got?

Cheers in advance.
when driving it you will find lots of differences , all for the better , The XC90 has evolved over the last 10 years in most areas , suspension , engine and gearbox , you will find it a treat to drive compared to the 2003 model ...
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:42   #4
GJB
Premier Member

Changed from an 04 to 10 last year agree with Clan it is much improved, as an extra which I have had in both my XC90's third row air-con is a very handy, don't know how hot it gets where you are going in New Zealand but have it mainly for the dog, only thing is it is a bit of a faff to turn on as the knob in the back has to be turned every time you restart, have tried to teach the dog to no avail.
As to shifting your old one at the right price should be no problem.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:51   #5
graym

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
Having the DynAudio 'premium sound' in mine, id never want to go back to a std. system.

Although its fair to say that the Nav system is a little antiquated, not having the screen in the dash also precludes you having the trick things such as reverse camera and perhaps even the RSE? I suppose it depends on whats important to you and whether you are going to keep it 'forever' or punt it on in a few years time....?

The Ixions look good in the flesh IMO and come as part of the R package, so id 'live with it' - theres nothing stopping you changing them further down the line.

Std. leather is great and with the R pack, you should get the two-tone I think.

Any 2013 model is going to be a nice car, no doubt about it - in my opinion (and its probably not one thatll be shared) id only ever buy a car like an XC90 with all the nice toys ticked - i.e. as a new or used buyer I would want:

-camera
-Dynaudio
-HIDS
-RSE

Enjoy the car if you get it - I have to ask, are you not tempted to but pre-ref or nearly new and save yourself a packet....?

eg:

4k miles, <1 yr old. Every option ticked. Looks stunning IMO:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Volvo...item25821e0824

re: the dealer trade-in on your old one.... sounds about right. Of course you will get more privately, but then you have to try and shift an old car in a difficult market. £3.5k doesnt sound unfair when you consider the dealer will need to prep etc for re-sale.

All in my opinion of course!
Thanks A lex that is all very helpful info. The reason I'm not buying 2nd hand (and I'm probably opening myself up to a torrent of abuse) is that because I'm a paraplegic (wheelchair user) I can get zero-rated Vat on a new car. So about £5500 less than a new car price.

Might have to seriously think my options. The one I was leaning towards most was the DVD and screens and the least the high-end audio system as I just don't play any music cranked right up.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 16:05   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

I also went from an 2003 XC90 to a 2010 XC90.
Bought the Exec with the toys:
-camera
-Dynaudio
-HIDS

What I didn't do was take it for a test drive first.
I had asked when ordering it if I could have 18" wheels instead of the 19" Galeteas, but I was told I couldn't.
When I took delivery I noticed the ride was less comfortable than my previous XC90.
I used 18" Atlantis wheels with winter tyres this year and noted the ride was more comfortable.

I recommend you ensure you test drive the exact model you are about to buy before signing on the dotted line.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 18:01   #7
Westyman
VOC Member

In my view most, not all, cars are at their best before being discontinued. More toys, more reliable .....
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westyman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 19:25   #8
moncman

I would be very keen to see how the dealer fit tow bar looks with the quad pipes and rear valance. Some tow bars need at cut and this is more obtrusive on the R Design.

Also, I am very pleased I went for a spare wheel rather than the rubbish glue and compressor fit. Not sure if you can have it on R Design but if you are towing investing in a jack and spare wheel might prove valuable.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 11:15   #9
graym

Got this on the Monday
"Good to meet you on Saturday - unfortunately my manager has relooked at the figures and decided that we cannot do this deal after all.

My advice is to go through 'Drive the Deal' and one of our sister branches in Watford/North London will supply the XC90 for you."
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 14:14   #10
cvsmjd

I bought a brand new SE for £29 K. Was going for Drive the deal but got the local dealer to match within £150.

I would have liked the 18" Thalia matt black alloy wheels for £75 but couldnt get my dealer to swap these.

Little disappointed with the car - think the stereo is great but disappointed with overall finish of the car -guess it shows its age. The new car which I had paid a deposit on (1K) I was told had been sold by another branch - the Dealer would search for another - managed to find one but it was a 2014 model (???) and cost £150 more which I paid. Couldn't find the specs of the 2014 model - but finally found that volvo in the 2014 range had upgraded all the radios to DAB - except for XC90 - I get the impression that as a model (supposed Flagship) its been forgotten and neglected by Volvo - my daughters 10 year old Fiesta warns her if she leaves the lights on, not a brand new XC90 SE. - I would have thought front park assist should be standard, and folding wing mirrors on locking car, a nice display - something to give the impression of a cars supposed to cost £40K.

I didn't buy second hand as I went for the same deal ie 50% deposit and 2 years interest free. I also bought the 5 year service plan for £500,

Hope I will grow to love it, wife drives it mainly and she likes it having replaced her 8 year old Rexton (manual) although its much slower to get away at junctions probably due to the automatic. The Rexton in my opinion - had better leather seats and was finished to a standard to match the XC90.
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying advice, new volvo, xc90