Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 144 DL Auto

Views : 1606

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2013, 13:52   #1
emtee
Old Fart

Default My 144 DL Auto

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of my 144 running restoration.

I bought the car as a project from MikeV on here in mid November last year and did the necessary repairs to return the car to the road after a 20+ year absence. This included some of the usual front inner wing & floor repairs and general recomissioning. The screen was out of the car when I got it and needed a lot of repair/rebuilding but at least I could see what I was in for rather than a car with the screen installed that could have been hiding goodness knows what.

The car as I first saw it, looking very sorry for itself but 99% complete and showing potential -

By the looks of it the car has changed hands a few times over the years it was off the road with several owners doing work and then passing it on. The rear arches and rear sills had been repaired but not finished etc. I had no idea whether the car ran and drove but Mike assured me that he'd driven the car into the garage a few years previously so I took the chance.

The passenger side was a lot worse than the driver's side with large rust holes in the passenger door and front wing.

TBC...

Last edited by emtee; May 18th, 2013 at 14:02.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 13:59   #2
emtee
Old Fart

Work in progress...

The car passed its test on 2nd January this year with the MOT tester (after initially laughing & taking the mickey at the ratty state of the car) commenting on how solid the car was. It was then lightly used throughout the winter months, managing to get moving one day when our Mk4 golf failed (We live on a hill that never gets gritted)

After a hard winter I took the car off the road a few weeks ago to give the car a respray. I've not done much of this kind of work before and I was working outside in weather that changed from sunny to ****ing down to hail stones and back again every couple of hours, or so it seemed...

Anyway, the results are not too shabby, not perfect by any means. The paint's rubbed through in a couple of places and there's still a couple of small rough patches. Definitely learnt a lot from doing this car - I scrimped a bit and only bought 2 litres of 2k top coat, probably could have done with 3.

Having said all that, as far as I'm concerned it's gone from looking like an old banger to looking like an old car which is fine by me as the car lives outdoors in the street all year and is there to be enjoyed as an ongoing project.

The V70 steel wheels are temporary, I have a set of P1800ES wheels to go on when I sort the tyres.

Last edited by emtee; May 18th, 2013 at 14:09.
Old May 18th, 2013, 14:00   #3
emtee
Old Fart

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emtee For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2013, 17:55   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Do you need the trim for the screen? I should have all the bits that I have taken off my 145 as I'm going for a more modern look.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 19:05   #5
emtee
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Do you need the trim for the screen? I should have all the bits that I have taken off my 145 as I'm going for a more modern look.
I am missing parts from it so that would be very helpful. PM me your email address if you like and we can discuss
Old May 18th, 2013, 20:42   #6
Iroll13
Boxy but good!

Default Good to see

Great to see, you're putting me to shame. I will have to start now, I suppose its true what they say the first cut is the deepest. I will take a brave pill and catch you up!

I'll have to see it sometime.
Iroll13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:19   #7
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Too Late?

May be too late to say as you've got the screen in, but using 240 screen trim would be an idea. It uses plastic clips on the glass itself and you fill in the holes for the rust-promoting steel clips as they're not needed.
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:21   #8
emtee
Old Fart

I dispensed with the clips altogether and will be bonding the trim like John h suggested in his 164 thread (I think...)
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:30   #9
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Looks great, well done!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 17:42   #10
Lord Volvo

How did you repair the rust along the windshield area? My 140 has a few rusted areas and I'm not sure how to approach fixing it so a new windshield will mount properly.
Lord Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote