Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 140 body panels

Views : 1789

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 13:06   #1
D19VDM
VOC Member

Default Volvo 140 body panels

Hi all,

I took delivery of a 142 on Sunday that's requiring a bit of work, mainly welding. Two new sills were supplied with the car but I also need a rear wheel arch and a rear tyre well. Anybody know if I can use 240 parts for this? (Easier to get hold of) I know the front of the arch would be different as its going to a quarter panel instead of a rear door but basic shape looks the same. Any info on this would be much appreciated

Thank you
D19VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 13:38   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Check with Brookhous parts ltd. They should know and supply any panels necessary
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 15:46   #3
D19VDM
VOC Member

I have had an email back from them today, they have the parts I'm looking for but but at a much higher cost than I can get 240 parts locally.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 17:31   #4
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19VDM View Post
I have had an email back from them today, they have the parts I'm looking for but but at a much higher cost than I can get 240 parts locally.
I don't think 240's follow exactly the same lines and profile.....I'll be pleased if they did but not too hopeful

Good luck
Billy Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:58   #5
Borderzac

I am no expert on this but have been told that mine has 240 rear wheel arches?????

See the attached picture if it helps

Best of luck

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo 1.11.11 006.jpg (250.5 KB, 24 views)
Borderzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 06:44   #6
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Please post up some photos. I'd be interersted to see the work progressing.

I believe that the flat vertical part of the wheelarch lip is slightly wider on a 200 compared with a 100. Having said that, the difference seems to be very small and unless you are aiming for concours I would say a 240 panel is fine.

I recommend choosing panels on the basis of quality, more than price. In my experience, cheap panels often require far, far more work to make them fit and look right (if they ever will). If you're paying for the bodywork to be done, or you put a value on your time, this more than outweighs the saving on purchase price.

Is it the blue 142 that was advertised on here?

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 15:16   #7
asjesus

You can try online shop Skandix

http://www.skandix.de/en/
asjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:14   #8
D19VDM
VOC Member

Yes it was the blue RHD that was on here. I swapped it for my 244 anniversary (pictured below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 244%20047.jpg (120.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO 244a.jpg (145.0 KB, 10 views)
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 22:15   #9
Iroll13
Boxy but good!

I looked at this same car and did quite a bit of research on panels before making an offer. There is an American site that is reasonably priced and has 142 parts. I will try to find the site for you. Alternatively, I am searching for a 142 myself and have found Blocket.se very useful, its a Swedish Gumtree style site.

Good look!
Iroll13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iroll13 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 01:40   #10
D19VDM
VOC Member

The car came with two new sills, I've fitted the drivers side already after cutting the old one out and done a bit of welding on the inner wing. Picked up a drivers side wheel arch for £20 on eBay and waiting on a tyre well coming. I had a chassis leg folded up at work and have cut away the rotten part of this and repaired it. The floor is next on my list. It's quite thin and again I've had parts made up for along the inner sill where the wiring loom is. I may need to look into a floor pan for the drivers side. I've picked up a bonnet for it as the one that's on just now is pretty bad with dents and ripples. The interior was pretty bad and had the wrong front seats (340 seats I think). They have all been scrapped. I have a spare black leather interior from a 164 that can go in just now. I know the fronts won't fold forward but until I pick up the right seats they will do just now.

I'm hoping to get the car road worthy and continue work on it from there.
I want the car to look the part but on a tighter budget than the P1800 that I'm doing. That's just starting to go through the roof with the cost of repair panels, and it's taking longer than I'd hoped :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to D19VDM For This Useful Post: