Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav G/T - which options?

Views : 1627

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2015, 20:03   #1
VivaLaVolvo

Default V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav G/T - which options?

Good evening all,

So, my wife has finally seen the light and decided that after a Skoda, Audi, useless little Mercedes and a VW that Volvo is the future. We're about to order a new V40 D4 R Design Lux Geartronic for her.

We'd considered the D2 but having driven the D4, whilst not really worth the massive premium, is definately worth paying more for and is far superior.

We're adding Tinted Windows, Rear Parking Sensors, Metallic Paint, Variable Boot Floor and the Winter Pack.

Now to those who've already got a V40, are there any options you didn't order but now wish you did?

Would the reverse camera be a better option in place of rear sensors?

Personally I'd like the Driver Support Pack but the wife says she never uses Cruise Control so is pointless. I think though it'd change the way she drives (she does a fair amount of motorway miles, often in rush hour) but she's not convinced. It's her who'll be driving it so I'm not going to force the issue.

I really like the electric memory seat and mirrors in my V70 because I don't need to mess about finding the right position after someone else has driven it. Not sure it's worth £500 though.

We've both currently got auto dim rear view mirror but with the tints, will she miss not having it?

Rear heated seats, the kids would love them but we're not likely to regret being without.

Oh, and what's the Personal Car Communicator? im guessing the keyless drive bit of it is that she doesn't need to stick the fob in the dash but what's the rest of it? On the subject of the fob - how stupid is the placement of the fob hole? I mean, surely everyone has other keys on their car key and don't they swing about and scratch the dash?

Volvo On Call - had it on my V70'and never used it so didn't renew. Can it be retro ordered if needed?

Is there anything I'm missing? Money's not really the issue in terms of spending it - I've no issue spending money on options that will be used because we'll get value for money from them. What I don't want to do is spend on options that will never get used because that's just throwing money away that's unlikely to be recouped.

I'm actually hoping this will be a forever car now so she needs to get this right.

Thanks in advance folks.

Regards

Andy
VivaLaVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:25   #2
Marc01

I do not have a brochure to hand now, and it's a long list of questions you have.

First PCC yes it's keyless, but you do not need to leave the key in the dash if you do not take this option, I just put in the fob press start then chuck them in the cubby hole under the light switch the car will remain running regardless even if you stall just depress the clutch and it will fire back up.

I went for this options

Xenium pack because it included electric seats, front and rear sensors, rear camera (did think I would not be bothered about that but it's actually very useful as rear visibility is poor) and electric seats with memory function (you have 2 keys each with its own driver profile so seats and mirrors will adjust to each key very useful)

Winter pack, for the heated seats and windscreen.

Then the tints, because I went ice white the tints and black sunroof looked good in my opinion.

And the autodim mirror, because the tints do not stop dazzle.

My base model is the D4 R-Design lux nav on 17" rims. Because I wanted leather and the high performance audio with 7" screen and sat nav built in.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 10:37   #3
GaryB1

mine is a CC D3 but the answers will be the same.

on the keyless I never take my keys out of my pocket so your wife can leave them in her handbag.

I also have the Xenium pack and find the rear parking camera the best thing since sliced bread I also love having front parking sensors. I was skeptical at first of the auto park assist but I now find I use it all the time.

I haven't used the car in the winter yet but expect the winter pack to be very useful.

The Adaptive Cruise Control is amazing as well. This I hear is very sluggish on other cars like Audi but my Volvo is VERY responsive.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 10:46   #4
Considered1
Premier Member

Defo go for all the options, my wife loves our Adaptive cruise now she has got used to it, even uses it in town which did surprise me.
The Driver support pack whilst prob the most expensive option also includes BLIS which I would always want again as it nearly saved my life, plus active high beam which is unbelievable in the dark,
You are lower down so I would go for full autodiming everything plus on-call if she is in the car at rush hour on her own - so reassuring for £150 pa - should also reduce your insurance premiums as the vehicle can be tracked.

in short all of those options or you might regret it, we certainly havent regretted one moment to fully load, safest car in the world, just need a dashcam now.

good luck with your new motor and let us know how you get on, I love the looks of the V40 so maybe one day as our second car.
best regards
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 14:55   #5
GaryB1

yes - forgot about BLIS - as money is not a problem the drivers support packis a must too. I keep saying my V40 has more radar than a battleship LOL.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 15:44   #6
VivaLaVolvo

Cheers folks.

Answers are appreciated.

As far as driver support pack is concerned I've really really tried but I just don't think she's interested in it. For me it's purely because of the adaptive cruise control as I can imagine all the lights and buzzes and vibrating bits of all the other features would become really annoying.

As far as the electric seats go, my V70 has them with the key memory and I think it's great but I'm just not sure it'll be necessary in her car as she'll be the one driving it 95% of the time - the V70 will still be the family bus most of the time.

I think we'll probably end up going for On Call, especially as it includes a tracker so as you point out, insurance should also be a wee bit less.

The problem I have is convincing her that she needs this stuff! She goes by the thinking of never had it, don't need it. However, once you've had it and used it you realise how useful it is.

I know from experience the park pilot wouldn't be used, ever! She had it on the silly Mercedes and used it once, that was whilst showing me how to use it. Neither of us used it again.

Thanks again folks. I'll keep you updated with how we get on. I think the current wait time is 12 weeks from point of order.
VivaLaVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 17:39   #7
Considered1
Premier Member

Id sell Adaptive cruise more as "Queue Assist" which it does, right down to a standstill and then follow the car in front at a distance within which it will always be able to stop itself.

this will be desired on cars in 5 years time like aircon and power steering was 5-10 yrs ago.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 08:30   #8
conedia

Default Have everything

I have a (slightly used - ex-Volvo rep) D2 with the Geartronic. I have most options - but I traded in a Citroen C5 which had some things the V40 doesn't have, and which I REALLY miss! They include autodim rearview mirror (oh how I miss that), auto tilt on the passenger mirror when selecting reverse (ditto), power seats (good for changing seat position on long journeys), and a number of smaller features (such as an elasticated floor mat in the boot to keep things from rolling around). I find the adaptive cruise control amazing (always used cruise control on the C5, but the adaptive system on the V40 is a league ahead, and I use it all the time), BLIS a life saver, rear parking sensors essential (but my V40 has no front ones - another C5 feature I miss when parking in a multi-storey car park I often use), the xenon lights excellent (again, another C5 feature I wasn't about to give up), and so on.

In short, go for everything you even think you might need. My V40 is pretty well equipped, yet I still wish it had a few more toys. The only downside is that you will of course take a greater hit on depreciation, but if you are planning to keep the car a long time, why deny yourself the ultimate ownership experience for a few £££s when the time comes to trade in?
conedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 09:41   #9
GaryB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedia View Post

In short, go for everything you even think you might need. My V40 is pretty well equipped, yet I still wish it had a few more toys. The only downside is that you will of course take a greater hit on depreciation, but if you are planning to keep the car a long time, why deny yourself the ultimate ownership experience for a few £££s when the time comes to trade in?
is why I would never buy new LOL. I saved 14k off retail on a car 8 months old with under 4500 on the clock.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 10:57   #10
conedia

Agreed GaryB1. I too bought used, less than 1 year old, but with 14k miles, but the car looks, drives and even smells like new (leather upholstery). I saved around £11k (I think - I got two different values as to what the car cost new from two different salesmen in the Volvo dealership).

Regardless, to me it is a new car at a very good price, and will last me forever.
conedia is offline   Reply With Quote