Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution

Views : 33046

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:34   #51
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Including the part behind the leather the dimensions are 8x6 inches (approximatley). I don't think you could go any bigger than this as they are as wide as the upper part of my head rest.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 15:50   #52
dsd1976

Thanks... I've found some 7" wide Boss screens .. Which measure 7 1/4 x 4 3/4 x 1 inch.. Probably go for those.. For clarion or kenwood 5.9" the total dimenssions are a lot more.

Any chance you can post a picture of yours to get an
Idea whereabouts to position.
dsd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 18:25   #53
BestGear
Master Member

This picture should show you roughly where its located...

These screens have a plastic insert that "bulks out" the leather to provide a frame - depending on what comes with your screen you may need to fabricate something with polystyrene or foam.

Just do yourself a favour and dont buy too big a screen...they are not big headrests.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Mar 31st, 2011 at 18:33.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:02   #54
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
This picture should show you roughly where its located...

These screens have a plastic insert that "bulks out" the leather to provide a frame - depending on what comes with your screen you may need to fabricate something with polystyrene or foam.

Just do yourself a favour and dont buy too big a screen...they are not big headrests.

David
David - those are nice looking screens, what make are they and where did you get them from?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:22   #55
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
David - those are nice looking screens, what make are they and where did you get them from?
That made me laugh!

These are the dealer fit kit that Elliott originally sold!

I picked them up on ebay for about £80 I think (cant remember exactly the price).

David
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:16   #56
Karoshio

I've almost all the bits...

Except the power regulator to power the sumvision. What components did you use?
Part numbers would be great. Thanks for the excellent write up!
Karoshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:49   #57
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

I used a UBEC 3-5A regulator.

These are typically used by the remote control model croud - they are cheap, run cool, and are electronically "quiet" regulators.

Cost? - about £7 on ebay... seach EBAY for UBEC...

Hope that helps.

David
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:59   #58
dtb80

Default RSE Wiring

David

Thanks this is the post & the man I've been looking for!

I've got the factory fit RSE with DVD changer & wireless h/phone transmitter etc (no headphones but built in rear 3.5 sockets) but the bloody thing doesn't work!!
I've spent all week weighing up different options of replacing everything but if you don't mind answering a few Q's might have a go at something like yours.

The screens both power up but say "No Input Signal", the DVD player makes a noise like its working and the remote allows you to "Disc Up" and change through but no sound from anywhere.
On the factory fit the wiring is hanging under the front seats and I think theres just a loose connection somewhere, poss previous owners kids kicked loose, but I don't know what the wires are for ie power, av, etc. Any ideas? it's a square clip on the end with 4 holes.
Also if I still can't get it to work, could I use the existing wiring from volvo headrests to link to another input like a portable DVD player powered on cig lighter socket?

Any help would be great as I really don't want to rebuy whats already in if I can help it!! Every garage I've been to (inc Volvo) just shrugged and said "they're knackered! live with it"
Damien
dtb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dtb80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 14:43   #59
martin j

Default Dvd

Damian

Have you tried changing the AV input on the screens it mybe set to the AV2 input thats in between the rear seats, also the systems sound only comes out thro the wireless headphones not the 3.5mm jack points, as it was an additional system added to the car and not contected via the main car radio system. When you say that it Disc up, do you mean that you can eject the DVD's or change which of the 10 are playing. Basiclly with my volvo system you turn on the screens with the right hand power buttons on the screens and then point the remote at the screens (I think some had IR receiver up near the rear view mirror not on screens) and press power on remote that turns on fully the DVD player in the boot and only then do you get a picture on the screens when screens are set to input 1 / AV1.

Hope this helps
I fitted the system to my car after buying the bits off ebay so have had some problems like you trying to work out how it all works.

Martin
martin j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 15:33   #60
dtb80

Martin

I've tried pressing the 2 little black buttons between rows 2 & 3 and the bigger black buttons next to the audio selector. Is there another way of selecting av input? I've had the volvo logo on one screen ONCE and Briefly so thats why I haven't totally given up hope!
The remote does change discs and the cartridge does eject.
Didn't know that about audio so will try to get some wireless headphones off ebay. The transmitters have power cos the green light comes on on them.
Think I might try putting new clips/junctions on where the headrest wires meet the rest of the AV wires. Still think they are not right!

Thanks some ideas to play with there!
dtb80 is offline   Reply With Quote