Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 300660

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 19:23   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Nope , just like the used remotes for S 60 V70 and S 80 you see on e-bay ..

The throttle unit linked above worked on another car because it was the later 2003 - BOSCH unit which doesnt have Software which the Magneti-Marelli one does..
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 18:11   #22
2003V70

Thumbs up First post!

Hello there all, what a great forum - very useful to a first time Volvo owner like myself!

I recently bought my cousin's 2004 V70S 170 after a couple of years coveting it from afar. Unfortunately, he has somehow managed to lose both the service key and the spare electronic fob.

I was about to buy a secondhand fob off ebay to take to the dealership for re-cutting + re-programming until I read this thread.

How much am I looking at for a new fob and service key? I could live without the spare fob if necessary, just scared of losing/breaking my existing fob and then having no way of getting in.
2003V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 03:52   #23
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

I have a 2001 V70 explod and have a stereo off ebay HU-603 to be exact fitted in the car and it works fine including all the lighting and displays

So don`t believe everything that volvo tell you

Cheers

stuart
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 23:03   #24
$hed
piehead

ive changed head units in both my p2 v70s from hu-605s to hu-803s with amps and center speakers all that was needed was a fuse for the amps. and worked fine all stearing wheel functions worked
and when put on a ppc dionostic reader it had codes telling me what i had installed
$hed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to $hed For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 23:56   #25
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hed View Post
ive changed head units in both my p2 v70s from hu-605s to hu-803s with amps and center speakers all that was needed was a fuse for the amps. and worked fine all stearing wheel functions worked
and when put on a ppc dionostic reader it had codes telling me what i had installed

That`s just what i`m about to do to mine although i won`t have the steering wheel functions as mines still the bog standard wheel

Cheers

stuart
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:32   #26
johnroses80

just read this thread with interest as i have a problem with my stereo ( hu-601 cd not working) and was going to buy a secind hand one. just a thought if the dealers can not over write the original software how do they change one of these units if it fails under warranty???, surely there has to be a way otherwise you would have lots of new cars running about with stereo"s and other software items not working, or have i missed something. cheers john
johnroses80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 21:36   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

The exchange ones come blank so they accept the software for your particular car .
Interesting how some radios seem to work properly in a different car , the few i have tried certainly didn't ie , no display and no steering wheel controls .. Beware if you have a software download for any thing else on the car and the volvo computer in sweden finds a module with unrecognised software ie non-matching , the car could loose all the electrics and need an expensive visit to the dealer ... the main volvo computer in sweden knows which serial numbers each module is supposed to have on every single volvo made from 1999 ...
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 19:26   #28
tykey

So if I replace the radio with a new MP3 player, do the lights go out?
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 19:55   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

no not at all , only the radio display wont work . Before you fit your radio there is a software available which "removes" the radio , making it safe to do what you want , ie the car and main computer in Sweden will know that it doesnt have a volvo radio any more so no problems will develop ...
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 20:23   #30
tykey

Thanks,Clan
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote