Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-sale value with full dealer service history?

Views : 2212

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2021, 09:23   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Given we feel that we will keep this car for a while now, unless circumstances change or it breaks, we will go with a local garage for the service. A lot cheaper and also means i can get my bike forks serviced which is a bonus as the Jag service would have eaten into that pot of money!

Cheers
I understand your thinking. Maybe just as a suggestion, ask them to use Jag parts or buy the parts yourself? Then bring them to the garage of your choice & ask them to fit them.

Plenty of garages are happy with this. Then at least you know what’s going to be fitted.
Old May 14th, 2021, 10:21   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
SO, not Volvo related (Jag) but it has got me thinking. The Jag dealer has quoted us £477 for an interim service this if for all filters (including pollen and fuel) and also apparently Air con service and fuel additive.

This got me thinking, say we have the car for 2 years, we spend almost £1,000 on servicing over the two years with a jag dealer for the service history, is the car really going to be worth that much more with a Dealer service history rather than a local garage service?

Would you pay X amount more for a dealer service history?

If it was more of a run around car i would be doing the service myself, but I would prefer to keep a stamp in the book when it does come to sell.
Firstly, it sounds like they have bundled in a load of extras on which they will make huge profit margin percentage and they are likely not in the Jag script.

Fuel additive? Volvo do not recommend these... you don't need it.

Air-con servuce? Unless it's not working properly - you don't need it - if it wasn't working then presumably its a warranty job?

That's probably £100 at least off the cost. Are they going to change the headlight fluid as well??
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 10:34   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

My personal view on this is with "premium" brand cars like Jag and Volvo - it is worth keeping dealer history at least for the first few years.

We've probably all had experiences where we've had shoddy service from a main dealer, but they work mostly on these cars alone and are likely to be more experienced at diagnosing them and repairing them rather than a non-franchised garage that will work on different makes every day.

On my daily driver (2015 XC60) I have been using a local Volvo independent for the last two services but I've had issues in that on occasions that have used non-genuine parts when I specifically asked them to use genuine and on the last service they did not notice a broken rear spring. Whilst it can be irritating taking an older car to a main dealer and they come back with a £3k list of minor leaks and generally trivial reasons to replace expensive parts - they are more likely to pick up safety issues.

From my perspective when buying cars I like to see a full set of dealer stamps and would pay more for it - however that's not because I am confident the dealer mechanics have done the best job - it's because it tells you a lot about the owners attitude towards maintaining the car. An owner who pays the extra 50% or whatever to keep an older car in dealer history is much more likely to have minor issues repaired and done properly. Any wheel bearings, shock absorbers etc. are more likely to have been replaced with genuine parts rather then some cheap crap from ECP. It's the same principle as seeing 4 matching premium brand tyres rather than 4 different cheap chinese brands at different states of wear.

So on a 2 year old Jag - I would definitely get the dealer to do it (even though I am more than capable of doing it myself) but nail them down to do only the essential work needed for the stamp. If it does need additional work such as brake pads, battery etc. you can do that yourself or get another garage to do it - it's not recorded in the service history any new owner will not likely know or care.

That's my personal view - I totally get and respect others will do things differently and have different priorities and I wouldn't try and persuade them otherwise.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 14th, 2021 at 10:39.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 12:01   #14
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
So on a 2 year old Jag - I would definitely get the dealer to do it (even though I am more than capable of doing it myself) but nail them down to do only the essential work needed for the stamp. If it does need additional work such as brake pads, battery etc. you can do that yourself or get another garage to do it - it's not recorded in the service history any new owner will not likely know or care.

That's my personal view - I totally get and respect others will do things differently and have different priorities and I wouldn't try and persuade them otherwise.
Sorry I missed out it’s 2013 car, not new. If it was new I would have got a service plan with it for at least 2 years. We bought it for £12,500 with 58k miles on it, and expect to keep it around 2 years putting maybe another 20k on it. So I don’t think the £1k+ for over 2 years of servicing will benefit the resale price at all.
Old May 14th, 2021, 12:16   #15
TeamG
Master Member

I once bought a 15 year old Mazda 323F with only 32,000 miles and a full Mazda service history for £320. Without the full Mazda history, I may only have been prepared to pay £315 for it!
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 12:52   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Sorry I missed out it’s 2013 car, not new. If it was new I would have got a service plan with it for at least 2 years. We bought it for £12,500 with 58k miles on it, and expect to keep it around 2 years putting maybe another 20k on it. So I don’t think the £1k+ for over 2 years of servicing will benefit the resale price at all.
Got it... as I said I've done the same with my 2015 car with 130k on it now. Had it been 2 years old with 30k I would be getting main dealer stamps. It will have between 150k and 180k when I sell it at which point there will likely be no impact on price.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 14th, 2021, 15:47   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
It won’t. Bring it to a garage of your choice & you’ll save yourself a fortune.

@Tannaton - Jag do recommend fuel additives. The car in question is a Jag, not a Volvo.
Old May 15th, 2021, 04:15   #18
c1800
Master Member

“ I suspect if it goes on to be resold by a Porsche dealer they will give it a full service anyway for their own protection.”
Don’t bet on that.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 15:50   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
“ I suspect if it goes on to be resold by a Porsche dealer they will give it a full service anyway for their own protection.”
Don’t bet on that.
Not if it isn’t due they won’t. They’ll do the bare minimum to maximise profit margin.
Old May 17th, 2021, 19:05   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
@Tannaton - Jag do recommend fuel additives. The car in question is a Jag, not a Volvo.
I don't think they do... just had a flick through the owners manual for the 2017 XJ diesel and the 2016 Discovery diesel (same engine as Jag) and both say "Prolonged use of additives is not recommended. Do not add paraffin or petrol to diesel fuels."

The dealer might recommend fuel additives if they can charge £80 for lobbing a half a litre of brake cleaner in the tank.......
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 17th, 2021 at 19:07.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: