Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 d4 190bhp

Views : 1170

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 20:12   #1
silverfoxjw

Smile V40 d4 190bhp

Hi just looking for some information for 63/65 plate V40 D4 190. I have had many volvos, currently running an XC60 D5, also have a ford focus 62 plate 1.6.My focus is used for daily 32 mile round trip to work and back mainly for economy around 57mpg average and £20 road tax. Looking to replace the focus with a V40 D4 190, seen the mpg figures on paper, anyone out there owned one, and can give real life mpg?. Also any issues with this model, any information welcome...thanks
silverfoxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 16:51   #2
Mashy67

Hi. I have just bought one from a friend. Great car. I'm getting 48 mpg on short journeys with a heavy right foot. Zero road tax, Golf GTD power. Loads of toys. It was a no brainer for me. Makes a great sleeper. Good fun when you pull away from BMW. 320d ect. Don't think a lot goes wrong with them although these new diesel engines with dpf ect will never be as trouble free as the old ones.
Mashy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mashy67 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 17:47   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The VEA D4 was originally 181PS when it came out in 2014. These very commonly suffered EGR cooler blockages and EGR valve sticking problems but there were fixes for these issues under Volvo goodwill. Slightly less common but they can also suffer quite heavy engine oil consumption due to the piston oil control ring drain holes becoming blocked. Mines had a lot of new parts (mostly fitted for free) due to the intake getting clogged up with soot but has only ever used modest amounts of engine oil.

At some point in around 2016 the VEA engines were fitted with modified pistons to fix the oil consumption problem. Also they were modified to use AdBlue as a NOx control measure which reduces the need for such high levels of EGR flow. The D4 power rating was increased slightly to 190PS.

Obviously try to get the later version, which must be practically bulletproof. The power delivery characteristics on these D4s is very impressive and so is the fuel economy if driven like you're driving Miss Daisy.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 22:18   #4
silverfoxjw

Default d4 performance

Hi...many thanks to you both, good to get real life experience feedback, looks like all is as it should be, like the idea of performance, economy and zero tax! thanks
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 15:49   #5
Mashy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The VEA D4 was originally 181PS when it came out in 2014. These very commonly suffered EGR cooler blockages and EGR valve sticking problems but there were fixes for these issues under Volvo goodwill. Slightly less common but they can also suffer quite heavy engine oil consumption due to the piston oil control ring drain holes becoming blocked. Mines had a lot of new parts (mostly fitted for free) due to the intake getting clogged up with soot but has only ever used modest amounts of engine oil.

At some point in around 2016 the VEA engines were fitted with modified pistons to fix the oil consumption problem. Also they were modified to use AdBlue as a NOx control measure which reduces the need for such high levels of EGR flow. The D4 power rating was increased slightly to 190PS.

Obviously try to get the later version, which must be practically bulletproof. The power delivery characteristics on these D4s is very impressive and so is the fuel economy if driven like you're driving Miss Daisy.
Thanks for the info Zebster. Mine is 2017 my and I have just been out to look for the adblue tank but it hasn't got one. Lol. After a bit of digging around on the forum it seems that adblue was introduced from week 47 2017. Also modified pistons were installed on vea engines from the factory from 2015. Engine no 1501327 onward. I stand to be corrected but just thought this might be valuable info for silver foxjw when choosing a car

Last edited by Mashy67; Jul 26th, 2021 at 15:52.
Mashy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashy67 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 21:23   #6
silverfoxjw

Default D4 info

Hi, thanks that more in depth info i was not expecting, will be looking for a few more specifics when making a choice, the D4 is quite rare in comparison to all the D2's. Do they suffer from the DPF temp sensor failure, my XC60 temp sensor failed at 88,000 miles, looking at common failures for XC60, it leads the rest ! Cheers Guys
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 22:19   #7
rxtian

I’ve got a 15 plate D4 V60 R design, it’s far more fun than it should be, sometimes I do worry about the EGR/oil consumption issues but have been lucky enough not to experience either so far (touch wood).

The MPG seems to be whatever you want… drive in eco+ gently and it can approach 60, abuse the thing and it can dip to 40.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 14:29   #8
LTEcactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfoxjw View Post
Hi just looking for some information for 63/65 plate V40 D4 190. I have had many volvos, currently running an XC60 D5, also have a ford focus 62 plate 1.6.My focus is used for daily 32 mile round trip to work and back mainly for economy around 57mpg average and £20 road tax. Looking to replace the focus with a V40 D4 190, seen the mpg figures on paper, anyone out there owned one, and can give real life mpg?. Also any issues with this model, any information welcome...thanks
A 63 plate will be the 177bhp D4 5 pot.
I have this engine in my V40, it only has the single turbo so it isn't as powerful at the lower revs. But once the turbo kicks in it's just as fast, having the same amount of torque.

It's a 5 pot, based on the D5, so it's very smooth and makes a nice sound, plus it's a lot more reliable than the 4 pot VEA D4, as it doesn't have the EGR issues
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 19:15   #9
silverfoxjw

Default 177 d3

Hi thanks for the info, did not realise that the D3 was a 5 cylinder. Having had many Diesel D5's, i know the engines are great, may well consider this as an option..cheers