Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

40.9 mpg is the best i could achieve

Views : 6728

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2021, 02:30   #21
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolvo View Post
Yep, I guess GeorgeandKira's right, we diesel dogs do have all the fun! My fun is a 2002 V70 D5, 240K on the clock, auto box, climate control left on all the time. My wife travels badly, high speed especially bad, so even on my own I've now got a bit of a habit, on a motorway run, of sitting to the left with the lorries, cruise control somewhere between 56 and 60mph, and watching the average mpg figure get better and better.
I've had it well into the 60s mpg many times. And yes, the readout on mine is accurate - I've cross-checked more than once by doing a fuel-vs-mileage check between full tanks.
Here's an honest tale (and petrol cats will hate me for this), I once did a 90-mile early-morning run, full tank to start, all but the first few miles on a motorway at 50mph and a few gentle hills. When I stopped, the readout said 84mpg average and miles-to-empty 1,255. Unbelievable but true!
Previously had a 1998 V70 2.5 petrol, struggled to get 40 mpg, even with all the boring driving style as above, in fact I don't think I ever did manage it.
Driving at 56-60 on a motorway will return higher mpg for sure, to be honest, i wouldn't feel safe travelling with the lorries at that speed, plus, i would see issues like being slowed down all the time due to having to wait to pull out to overtake cause the other lanes will be full, this, in turn, can hurt the mpg cause of having to accelerate back up to your cruising speed.

Also, 85 miles on a motorway from a reset will be highly unrealistic, whilst it will be accurate as far as your car says it is, its far from a realistic average mpg, why, cause as soon as you come off that motorway and hit urban, that mpg score is gonna drop like a ton of bricks
Old May 15th, 2021, 08:34   #22
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Just lift your foot off the pedal, infinite mpg lol I used to like those mpg needles you got in bmw's, oh look I'm doing over 80mpg (breathe lightly on throttle) ok now I'm getting 8

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 16:54   #23
Rolvo
2002 V70 D5 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Driving at 56-60 on a motorway will return higher mpg for sure, to be honest, i wouldn't feel safe travelling with the lorries at that speed, plus, i would see issues like being slowed down all the time due to having to wait to pull out to overtake cause the other lanes will be full, this, in turn, can hurt the mpg cause of having to accelerate back up to your cruising speed.

Also, 85 miles on a motorway from a reset will be highly unrealistic, whilst it will be accurate as far as your car says it is, its far from a realistic average mpg, why, cause as soon as you come off that motorway and hit urban, that mpg score is gonna drop like a ton of bricks
Er, an average is an average, whatever the distance. I was just making the point about what these engines can achieve.

Not sure what would feel unsafe about travelling at lorry speed. Maybe another point missed - the idea is to travel at their speed, not be constantly overtaking them. You should experience it. (My other car's 60 years old, so when I'm in that I don't have much choice!)
Previous - 1983 360GLT
Rolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 18:15   #24
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I'm also struggling to really believe you saw an actual average of 85mpg, I have to be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolvo View Post
on a motorway at 50mph
not being funny or anything but I would literally be fuming if I got stuck behind someone doing 50 on a motorway .. if it was an old car which was incapable that's one thing, but come on, be reasonable ..

well there's two other lanes I guess for us whippersnappers but let's not forget, sitting with the lorries all day you're slip streaming a 20(?) tonne brick with a front area of about 4 or 5 square meters, so clearly if you do that your mpg will be crazy.. (it's not much different to saying 'I got a tow home the other day so now my weekly mpg is 250mpg') but then.. did you ever actually reach your destination, or did you get there and say righto, time to go home again.. no, but seriously you do have to weigh efficiency up against a decent ETA

also, each to their own obviously but personally the list of things I would rather do than own a diesel is long and includes things involving my testicles and a rusty bread knife

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 15th, 2021 at 18:55.
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 18:19   #25
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

as to what would feel unsafe about travelling with the lorries?

I know, by and large they are excellent drivers so let's not start saying anything bad about the HGV men, backbone of Britain and so on

but then there's the foreign ones who don't really know the roads and what if one decides to play with his Ipod

nope nope nope nope nope sorry I'd rather just stay well away (10 years?? should be fu"£$ hanged)

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 15th, 2021 at 18:49.
Old May 16th, 2021, 12:10   #26
Rolvo
2002 V70 D5 Auto

Nice of you to disbelieve me Stuart. I know what I saw, no reason to lie.

I like your assumption that I'm old. A bit like your assumption that I slipstream the lorries. Did I say that? No. Do I do that? No.

Is it okay for me to assume that you have never travelled in the inside lane of a motorway? And that you have an irrational fear of lorries and an irrational hatred of diesels?

By the way, I fully agree that being stuck behind someone unnecessarily doing 50 on a motorway is infuriating. The 50 mph was, as I said, early morning, very early in fact, world still in bed, empty 3 & 4 lane motorway. So no, I wasn't upsetting anyone, wouldn't have done it otherwise, thank you for not considering that.

Bashy started this thread as a bit of fun, light-hearted observation, "seeing what MPG I could achieve". So why shaft it with personal sniping?
Previous - 1983 360GLT
Old May 16th, 2021, 12:21   #27
Bashy
Aged Member

Just want to re-point out that the best I saw on a flat straight was about 44mpg instantaneous at about 69mph, I expected closer to 50 to be honest but that actually ties in with my 40.9over the 80 miles round trip.

I want to also point out that at about 40mph in 6th gear
I saw instantaneous of around 80mpg,this was when using cruise control.

So, if someone resets the counter on the motorway and travels at around the 50mph, I can see it showing a very high average mpg, try it, when you're travelling at 50 for a while on a flat road, reset the counter, you will see it show very high average mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 12:48   #28
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well I'm sorry you took it personally dude, but I'm not suddenly going to change an opinion because it upsets someone

you like driving slowly in a diesel, I don't, let's not start a war over it eh there's far better things for both of us to do I'm sure

mini project - link
Old May 16th, 2021, 12:51   #29
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
when you're travelling at 50 for a while on a flat road, reset the counter, you will see it show very high average mpg
of course, that's absolutely true but it's not real honest average is it, like you said the minute you change lane, or get off the motorway, it immediately drops back down doesnt it. I could get up to 90, reset the counter, let off the pedal and just let it coast for 300mtrs and get huge mpg but it's meaningless

Well I don't have a counter.. but I work it out weekly from the petrol receipt and the mileage which gives a true real world average

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 16th, 2021 at 14:20.
Old May 16th, 2021, 13:42   #30
Rolvo
2002 V70 D5 Auto

Previous - 1983 360GLT