Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A Very Good Honest Garage:~

Views : 726

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2021, 16:04   #1
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default A Very Good Honest Garage:~

Just had the 240 in for the MOT yesterday:~
After a few months on S.O.R.N to do some jobs I decided to get back on the road for the summer- phoned my usual garage and he said " bring in round now and I'll do it before I finish for the day" just over an hour later the car was back out- usual remarks, a lovely car and a pleasure to do work on.

We use this garage for all the cars and more within the family- just the owner and a colleague doing servicing & MOTs- more importantly they are as honest as the day is long so come highly recommended, the owner remembers working on the cars when first launched

Based just outside Wigan (lucky me) so worth using if you are in this area.
Johnsons Garage
City Rd, Kitt Green, Wigan, WN5 0HP Directions
Tel
01942 225394
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240.JPG (73.0 KB, 25 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 13:20   #2
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Just had the 240 in for the MOT yesterday:~
After a few months on S.O.R.N to do some jobs I decided to get back on the road for the summer- phoned my usual garage and he said " bring in round now and I'll do it before I finish for the day" just over an hour later the car was back out- usual remarks, a lovely car and a pleasure to do work on.

We use this garage for all the cars and more within the family- just the owner and a colleague doing servicing & MOTs- more importantly they are as honest as the day is long so come highly recommended, the owner remembers working on the cars when first launched

Based just outside Wigan (lucky me) so worth using if you are in this area.
Johnsons Garage
City Rd, Kitt Green, Wigan, WN5 0HP Directions
Tel
01942 225394
Nice to hear of a good garage getting recommended, here's another that I use for MOT's and repairs/servicing now and then on my 940, SWINTON AUTO SERVICES in greater Manchester 0161 794 1664, David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 22:48   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

I take it these garages work on the newer Volvo's too?
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:06   #4
827Roverman
VOC Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I take it these garages work on the newer Volvo's too?
Phone them to find out.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:54   #5
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Yes for Johnsons:~
They also service my sons BMW- The first Mrs Meadows Ford Fiesta & a foreign model for my sister.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 14:50   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Nice to hear of honourable garages doing what it says on the tin after my recent experiences - won't expand here but let's just say after 17 years i won't be using them again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 22:47   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Phone them to find out.
I may well do, but I thought it would have been fairly easy question to answer without having to phone.

Generally, when I visit a garage, I tend to know the cars that are being worked on by glancing in the car park or in the workshop itself. Its fairly easy to tell 20-30 year old ones apart from the newer models.
Old May 10th, 2021, 22:55   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I may well do, but I thought it would have been fairly easy question to answer without having to phone.

Generally, when I visit a garage, I tend to know the cars that are being worked on by glancing in the car park or in the workshop itself. Its fairly easy to tell 20-30 year old ones apart from the newer models.
Not if the garage picks the car up and returns it as i believe the arrangement David has with his garage is.

I think i'd be inclined to phone them and ask anyway, a later car there by coincidence may belong to one of the employees, someone dropping off/collecting another customer etc.

Also worth bearing in mind those that usually work on older ones don't necessarily understand the newer ones and vice versa.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 09:38   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

My local one will deal with anything - they had a 1964-ish Sunbeam Alpine in earlier this year and were re-commissioning an FB Victor; several 5-10 year old Euroblobs and indistinguishable Asian machines for MoTs, services and repair work.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: