Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advanced/Performance Driving Courses?

Views : 2908

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2021, 22:31   #41
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Correct, my mistake Dibble, 4 weeks advanced driving course for us as well.

3 weeks for the advanced bike course , ( still passionate about them and couldn't pack in voluntarily )

We also used to get a 2 week refresher now and again which was very enjoyable.

Told you I had lost the edge.............................

NURSE!!!!!! ...................................
Never did the bike course. Wasn't a good motorcyclist. We had a course at HQ before we went to the College and I think that was also a month but could have been less. That was of great benefit as most of the Forces went there cold. Didn't make any difference at the end. I managed to get back and do the four weeks again as I clipped, three yards, of a solid white line on an overtake. Two drives at 85% and one at 841/2. Class 2. Devastation! Wouldn't have happened had I had the Rover SD1 instead of a 2.8 Granada but glad I did. Great to get back and do it all again, wiser the second time! We did a refresher of a week every three years to keep us on our toes but I too have lost the edge. Just an old codger now! Can I recommend The Liver Run on You Tube. Brilliant video of the Met guys and the Rover SD1. I hope some will watch it and come back with their thoughts.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 23:54   #42
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Can I recommend The Liver Run on You Tube. Brilliant video of the Met guys and the Rover SD1. I hope some will watch it and come back with their thoughts.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Thanks for the link to this Dibble, I thought I had seen all the videos of this ilk, but this one somehow escaped me. There are a few links to this video on Youtube, so chose this one although I think they are all the same.

My overriding thoughts are the true professionalism and teamwork involved to meet the end goal. As a layman who will never experience the conditions these drivers experience in the course of their careers one can only speculate what they experience and the stress levels that they must endure on a Blue Light Run. Add in a time limit and it takes on a whole new perspective, and the clock is ticking. Having to negotiate central London traffic on a Friday afternoon and the stress they have to manage must be immense. Pure guesswork on my part of course that they get stressed after all the training they have undergone, and maybe taught how to manage lt, but non the less it must be always in their mind what the outcome could be if they make a wrong move.

Interesting watching how the driving techniques differed on the motorway and then into the urban and city environment. I'm sure I heard a 'F%@*ing Hell Bill' as they came off the motorway and approached the first roundabout, and in central London 'don't turn your wheel mate' to a driver who was potentially blocking them.

I always imagined the Rover SD1's where a lot faster, but then again it was quite some time ago and things have moved on since then.

A good watch Dibble, thanks for the heads up

Last edited by MikeGMT; May 9th, 2021 at 01:19.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 13:01   #43
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Try HPC. Did their course in 1993 - still going strong. link below.

http://www.high-performance-course.com/

Worked for me.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 13:18   #44
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
Try HPC. Did their course in 1993 - still going strong. link below.

http://www.high-performance-course.com/

Worked for me.

John
Thanks, this is another option which looks attractive. Will investigate.
Old May 10th, 2021, 22:46   #45
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Thanks for the link to this Dibble, I thought I had seen all the videos of this ilk, but this one somehow escaped me. There are a few links to this video on Youtube, so chose this one although I think they are all the same.

My overriding thoughts are the true professionalism and teamwork involved to meet the end goal. As a layman who will never experience the conditions these drivers experience in the course of their careers one can only speculate what they experience and the stress levels that they must endure on a Blue Light Run. Add in a time limit and it takes on a whole new perspective, and the clock is ticking. Having to negotiate central London traffic on a Friday afternoon and the stress they have to manage must be immense. Pure guesswork on my part of course that they get stressed after all the training they have undergone, and maybe taught how to manage lt, but non the less it must be always in their mind what the outcome could be if they make a wrong move.

Interesting watching how the driving techniques differed on the motorway and then into the urban and city environment. I'm sure I heard a 'F%@*ing Hell Bill' as they came off the motorway and approached the first roundabout, and in central London 'don't turn your wheel mate' to a driver who was potentially blocking them.

I always imagined the Rover SD1's where a lot faster, but then again it was quite some time ago and things have moved on since then.

A good watch Dibble, thanks for the heads up
Glad you enjoyed it Mike. Perhaps you noticed at the very end when they had arrived at the hospital, the driver got out of the car and handed over the box containing the liver, he practically fell over the car such was the stress. I think that summed it up. On a very good day you might get 120mph out of the Rover but I never attained that. Changed days when they are now up to 140/150mph!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post: