Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is volvo v70 a good car?

Views : 1832

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2021, 00:07   #11
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I think he meant to have said "only had an annual oil change" which is unambiguous unlike "just had an annual oil change" which could mean something entirely different!
Old May 3rd, 2021, 23:02   #12
volvolv

Which year would you suggest for this kind of Volvo?

I understood some people say anything below 2008 is 'proper Volvo and after the year 2008 it is not a Volvo anymore.
volvolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2021, 23:22   #13
Simmy
Premier Member

my v70 has 233k still going strong .maintainance is the key find one with the best service history and go from there try to take a fellow volvo enthusiast with you when you go to view cars good luck for the future.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 00:23   #14
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvolv View Post

I understood some people say anything below 2008 is 'proper Volvo and after the year 2008 it is not a Volvo anymore.
The Volvo V70 you are looking at is the third generation of V70 (2007 onwards), which shares it's platform with various other large fords e.g the mondeo and I believe some Jag cars. To be honest, the cars are still reliable but certain areas are lacking in quality compared to previous 2nd and 1st generation V70s, which were a 100% volvo design.

It doesnt mean they are bad cars by any means, they just share platforms with other vehicles. Wheres the previous ones did not.
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:32   #15
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:

I suspect that the only "true" Volvo is always going to be one that's quite old. In 20 years, therefore, the S90 and V90 will probably qualify as true Volvos.

I've owned three V70s, and they've all been good cars. My current one appears to be on the verge of developing high oil consumption after 136,000 miles, however, but this issue is restricted to cars with early examples the newer VEA 4-cylinder diesel engine.

If you buy a good example of a V70 with a 5-cylinder engine then you'll be good to go.

If you can also ensure that it has the newer Sensus infotainment system (these have the display screen integrated into the dashboard instead of popping up from the top) then you'll probably be onto a winner. The controls are better, as is the functionality.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:35   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:

Opinions vary - you've clearly read them. Make your call. I'm happy with our 2012 - as I was with our 2005, but others may have a different view. Platform & component sharing is a thing, and will continue to be a thing, because otherwise makers will cease to exist.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:37   #17
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
The Volvo V70 you are looking at is the third generation of V70 (2007 onwards), which shares it's platform with various other large fords e.g the mondeo and I believe some Jag cars. To be honest, the cars are still reliable but certain areas are lacking in quality compared to previous 2nd and 1st generation V70s, which were a 100% volvo design.

It doesnt mean they are bad cars by any means, they just share platforms with other vehicles. Wheres the previous ones did not.
Jaguar didn't use the Mondeo/V70 platform. They used the previous Mondeo platform for the X-Type, and they used the successor to the old mid-80s Granada/Scorpio platform for the XF. This is because the XF required a rear wheel drive platform.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 15:47   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

There's plenty of 2008+ Volvo's with mammoth miles on them. Yes, they share some parts with Ford, but they're still a very comfortable vehicle. Its the same as saying "The new Mercedes aren't really Mercedes". The last "true" Mercedes (W123, W124 & W140 for example) were made 20-30 years ago (that's an approximate guess). Now models are made all over the world, not necessarily in Germany. The Mercedes GL for example from 2008 was made in Alabama... many say the quality isn't the same. The X class pick-up has Renault parts, but it still carries the "luxury" Mercedes badge. Volvo are not on the only company that merged with others.

Going for the newer version of the Volvo isn't all as bad as it seems. You'll have a more modern interior for a start, more leg room in the rear & a bigger vehicle in general. In my opinion, the older ones look dated now.

Its up to you which you go with, but the newer ones are still cracking vehicles. The euro 3's weren't without issues either, like everything, all cars/models need maintenance & all cars/models have their issues.
Old May 6th, 2021, 15:27   #19
hora1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Please can you elaborate?
Sure. Happy to - aux belt, fuel filter...
hora1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2021, 15:31   #20
hora1

Quote:

Mines a 2014. I love it. It could do with being a bit nipper but still I love it, space, comfort. That steering wheel groove just falls soooo nicely to the right hand to rest into.
hora1 is offline   Reply With Quote