Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SRS light (airbag) is on, OBD2 to reset

Views : 2790

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2021, 18:47   #1
Hoggy32

Default SRS light (airbag) is on, OBD2 to reset

So my V40 2004 has the SRS icon turned on and it's time for MOT soon, so I want to turn it off..

I've got the cheap blue obd2 bluetooth which doesn't nothing.. so I purchased this https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in hope to be able to clear the SRS light, however it doesn't find any fault codes.... it does show me live stream data and many other things but no fault codes. Maybe I'm using it in a wrong way?

Is there any way I can turn the light off, a cheap way... CBA to take it to the garage and have them turn if off
Hoggy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 20:54   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy32 View Post
So my V40 2004 has the SRS icon turned on and it's time for MOT soon, so I want to turn it off..

I've got the cheap blue obd2 bluetooth which doesn't nothing.. so I purchased this https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in hope to be able to clear the SRS light, however it doesn't find any fault codes.... it does show me live stream data and many other things but no fault codes. Maybe I'm using it in a wrong way?

Is there any way I can turn the light off, a cheap way... CBA to take it to the garage and have them turn if off
Most readers cheaper than £75-£100 (1000kr) will not reset the SRS light I am afraid. Best tool for this is the Volvo VIDA, or the DELPHI one, both running from a computer with VIDA software, or some of the Autel readers in the range of £100.

Have you tried posting in the Swedish forums, or the S40, V40 Classic Facebook group, to see if there are any Swedes near you with the right OBD scanner, that can scan and reset your SRS light?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 18:00   #3
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

You need to know why it came on in the first place. Turning it off may mean it comes straight back on....
have you done anything lately to cause it to come on? Seat removal, movement?
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:50   #4
theb

Question for Mr Gatos.

Do you still have the equipment for resetting the srs fault as I too have had this pop up again. The last time it happened the mechanic cleaned the contacts and all was good for around 9 months.

I'm in South Woodford so could you, if you do still do, let me know cost.

Cheers.
theb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theb For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 14:40   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theb View Post
Question for Mr Gatos.

Do you still have the equipment for resetting the srs fault as I too have had this pop up again. The last time it happened the mechanic cleaned the contacts and all was good for around 9 months.

I'm in South Woodford so could you, if you do still do, let me know cost.

Cheers.
Yes, I still have the Vida Dice and can do it. I have never asked for money for doing this. I stead, and it is purely optional, you can make a donation to a charity of your choice, or you can leave something and I will give it to the Celia Hammond Animal trust

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 14:53   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy32 View Post
I purchased this https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in hope to be able to clear the SRS light, however it doesn't find any fault codes.... Maybe I'm using it in a wrong way?
It says in the reviews that it doesn't communicate with SRS and ABS (BCM on Volvo).
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 10:19   #7
theb

Cheers for that.

I'm currently awaiting a part for the rear brake calliper piston because as always, whilst doing the simple little things a bigger thing rears its ugly head so once I have this installed and the car is back up and working I can get it to you.

How do I give you my contact? details as not too sure if I can post them here.

Cheers.
theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 17:14   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theb View Post
Cheers for that.

I'm currently awaiting a part for the rear brake calliper piston because as always, whilst doing the simple little things a bigger thing rears its ugly head so once I have this installed and the car is back up and working I can get it to you.

How do I give you my contact? details as not too sure if I can post them here.

Cheers.
will pm you

Nullius in Verba
Old May 10th, 2021, 09:44   #9
Hoggy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Most readers cheaper than £75-£100 (1000kr) will not reset the SRS light I am afraid. Best tool for this is the Volvo VIDA, or the DELPHI one, both running from a computer with VIDA software, or some of the Autel readers in the range of £100.

Have you tried posting in the Swedish forums, or the S40, V40 Classic Facebook group, to see if there are any Swedes near you with the right OBD scanner, that can scan and reset your SRS light?
Since I don't have a VIDA reader I took it to a garage and they did a scan for me.

I got a DTC 013D -SIPS-bag left Intermittent error
Along with DTC 0022 -windscreen wiper parking position switch, too high signal
DTC 00130 - Unknown fault
DTC FFFF0 - Unknown fault

I've already wiggled the connectors under the seat but I guess it's still an issue with those cables? And if I fix the cables, will the code go away by it self if it's fixed? If not, how do I reset the codes without a VIDA scanner...? Cba to go the garage and pay them 400SEK each time for a scan
Hoggy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 19:28   #10
gatos
Premier Member

The SRS codes will never ever go away on their own, even if the fault is fixed. They need to be reset

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: