Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 244 dl

Views : 909

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 21:09   #1
Eddie volvo244 dl

Default Volvo 244 dl

Hi I have a Volvo 244dl 1982 and I was just wondering how much they are selling for at the moment.
Eddie volvo244 dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 21:35   #2
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Anything from £100 to £10,000 depending on mileage, spec and condition.
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 22:39   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Anything from £100 to £10,000 depending on mileage, spec and condition.
... very good answer!
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 12:10   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie volvo244 dl View Post
Hi I have a Volvo 244dl 1982 and I was just wondering how much they are selling for at the moment.

Eddie. Welcome to the forum.

Which model / spec is your car?

It is largely a question of condition.

If you look in the section of this forum re 240 sales, there is a thread with the title SERIOUSLY.
In that thread some forum members give their plain spoken opinions re 240s for sale on for example eBay.

If I sell my sad but strong and reliable old 240 I'll put a card in a shop window to avoid the disparaging comments of that thread.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:12.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:25   #5
Othen
Premier Member

I suspect that may be the first and last time we hear from Eddie: now that he has found out the old car he found in his grandad's garage isn't worth £20,000 :-(

I do hope Eddie proves me wrong and shares his Volvo's story with us.

:-)
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 09:48   #6
Eddie volvo244 dl

Default Volvo 244 dl

Hi guys thank you, and sorry for the delayed response I got locked out of my account already 😂 also a little more history about the Volvo is that is has 2 owners from new with 70k on the clock it was kept in the garage for 90% of its life and it is from 1982. I hope this helps guys thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie volvo244 dl For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 10:24   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi guys thank you, and sorry for the delayed response I got locked out of my account already 😂 also a little more history about the Volvo is that is has 2 owners from new with 70k on the clock it was kept in the garage for 90% of its life and it is from 1982. I hope this helps guys thank you
Hi Eddie,

I'm delighted you have proven me wrong - welcome back to the forum.

Your car might be worth something like £1,000 to £2,500 depending on what the condition is - why don't you post some photos, that would help. Rust is the biggest problem with older motors. With your car the things to look for will be the rear wheel arches (inside as well), the sills and the boot floor - and around the windscreen as well. 240s nearly always always start rusting in those places. If rust has taken hold in any of those places it will be a £1,000 car.

Your motor car will qualify as an historic vehicle in two year's time, its value may well increase a bit then.

I wonder, do you just want to know the value in order to sell it, or will you keep the car?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 22nd, 2021 at 10:25. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 15:03   #8
Eddie volvo244 dl

Default Volvo 244dl

Hi thank you for your help and I’m bot to sure I have had it for a little while and I was just deciding what to do with it I’m not driving it and I didn’t want it to go to waste and just sit there so I was trying to find it a nice home to go to. Would you recommend holding onto it or just to get rid of it ? I have attached some photos of the vehicle aswell if this will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3028D0B4-1E7A-4D74-B2CA-F9815BD1D71D.jpeg (120.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpeg BD9732D6-4E9B-44A4-A3BF-5DF6B31461B4.jpeg (114.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg 819ED132-C2C8-421F-B7D8-5DC0F607365E.jpeg (116.7 KB, 34 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie volvo244 dl For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 18:13   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi thank you for your help and I’m bot to sure I have had it for a little while and I was just deciding what to do with it I’m not driving it and I didn’t want it to go to waste and just sit there so I was trying to find it a nice home to go to. Would you recommend holding onto it or just to get rid of it ? I have attached some photos of the vehicle aswell if this will help.
We are all happy to help wherever we can on this forum - we all like 240s.

I see the car has not had a MoT since 2011, so I'm guessing you have had it laid up for that time. The car looks like a perfectly nice 244DL, but it is hard to see its condition from some photos - the real devil will be rust, but you can check this yourself, it will be obvious if it has affected your car badly. The car hasn't been used for a decade, so there may be a fair bit of re-commissioning to do, 244s are pretty simple cars though.

The way the car is now (no MoT and been standing for a decade) you could probably get a grand to £1,500 for it. With a MoT probably £2,000 to £2,500, so I'd say it would be worth getting it through a test. I'd be tempted to just put it in for the MoT test and see what happens - at the very least you will know what is wrong with it. The downside is that if it fails every prospective buyer will be able to see that as well.

Next year the car will be MoT exempt, and in 2023 it will be tax exempt as an Historic Vehicle. Those things will definitely increase the car's desirability and its value will rise by 50% to 100% overnight. If you want to sell the car and maximise its value I'd say get it re-commissioned and through a MoT now, it will be MoT exempt from 31 July 2022 and tax exempt from 1 April 2023 (assuming the government doesn't change the rules).

You asked whether you should keep the car or sell it: I'd say definitely get it back on the road, keep it and enjoy running a cool Volvo 244 - but then I really like 244s (I have one), so I would say that, wouldn't I?

If you wanted to find a good home for the car rather than maximise its price for sale then I'd definitely suggest advertising it on the sales pages of this forum (which I think is free). There are always people looking for nice 244s here and I'm pretty sure you would find an enthusiast that would take on the project and end up with a very nice car. If you wanted to do that I'd suggest something like £1,000-£1,500 would be a fair price without a MoT test.

Thank you for sharing your car with us, I think it is very nice.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 22nd, 2021 at 18:23. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 22:38   #10
Eddie volvo244 dl

Default Volvo 244dl

Okay perfect thank you very much for your help you have been very helpful and fingers crossed this will help me find a lovely home for this 244dl.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie volvo244 dl For This Useful Post: