Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Climate

Views : 1274

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2021, 12:03   #1
silentflight

Default Climate

Hi, a Newbie here looking for advice.

Has anyone here ever diagnosed/changed a cabin blower motor/control module on a 2014 XC70 estate? It seems nearly impossible to access anything and I cannot find a workshop manual or process description anywhere.

Hope someone has experience of this and thanks in advance.
silentflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 09:48   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentflight View Post
Hi, a Newbie here looking for advice.

Has anyone here ever diagnosed/changed a cabin blower motor/control module on a 2014 XC70 estate? It seems nearly impossible to access anything and I cannot find a workshop manual or process description anywhere.

Hope someone has experience of this and thanks in advance.
Hello Silentflight

If you can just expand on your request....are you; a)changing the blower motor ? ...or b) changing the control panel? ...or c) wanting to diagnose what's stopped the climate control system working.

Tell us what's not working or describe your symptoms so we can assist.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 15:45   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Or better still, buy yourself a VIDA/DiCE diagnostic adaptor and have it ask the car what's wrong! If a fault is electrical on a Volvo, the Volvo proprietary diagnostic system is the way to go first before asking questions on the forum. The forum works best at telling you tricks and tips on how to fix things once you know what's wrong with the car. Otherwise it's long range, blindfolded guessing which is likely to give you more work and expense than just buying the VIDA/DiCE clone on ebay!
Old May 6th, 2021, 12:32   #4
Snoopyk8

Question XC70 climate control issue

Hello, I’m a newbie both to Volvos and this forum.
I have a 2008 XC70. When it is cold and raining and the front windscreen frosts over I put the demister on. But this activates the AC to control the humidity in the cabin. So I end up driving in freezing temperatures freezing in my car. How do I demist the windscreen AND keep the cabin warm? Please help - very cold.
Snoopyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2021, 15:23   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyk8 View Post
Hello, I’m a newbie both to Volvos and this forum.
I have a 2008 XC70. When it is cold and raining and the front windscreen frosts over I put the demister on. But this activates the AC to control the humidity in the cabin. So I end up driving in freezing temperatures freezing in my car. How do I demist the windscreen AND keep the cabin warm? Please help - very cold.
The A/C engages automatically when putting the demister on, as its very good at clearing the condensation/fog.

Just rotate the temperature wheel so the heater gets warmer (A/C will still be engaged), but it won’t be as cold. As you turn the wheel, you’ll see the temperature setting displayed. The more you turn it to the right, the warmer it’ll get. If you turn it to the left, it’ll get colder.
Old May 13th, 2021, 22:42   #6
gray 3

Hi silentflight
About 3 weeks ago had a very strange thing. In my XC70 13/14 reg
The in side fan Blower would not switch off even if I turned the car off and locked it. it was on full speed. Yes it ran the battery flat. called out Volvo on call.
In the end it went in to volvo. I could not even find the fuse to stop it running.
Is yours doing the same?
Gray 3
gray 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 23:25   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyk8 View Post
How do I demist the windscreen AND keep the cabin warm? Please help - very cold.
Set your cabin temperature to a comfortable room temperature (generally around 19-22°C) and leave the climate control on auto and it will do the rest.
It will cycle the ac compressor as it sees fit which will dehumidify and prevent misting in the first place as well as apply whatever heating or cooling is required to achieve your selected cabin temperature.

The ac button being on does not mean that the ac is on.
The ac button being on means that the system is allowed to use ac when appropriate and you should leave the cleverly designed system to work as designed.
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:00   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray 3 View Post
Hi silentflight
About 3 weeks ago had a very strange thing. In my XC70 13/14 reg
The in side fan Blower would not switch off even if I turned the car off and locked it. it was on full speed. Yes it ran the battery flat. called out Volvo on call.
In the end it went in to volvo. I could not even find the fuse to stop it running.
Is yours doing the same?
Gray 3
I've had that type of fault on other makes of car. The speed control of the fan motor is a power transistor and if it fails the circuit is left with no speed limitation control and the blower runs flat out. The speed control module needs changing. I have just changed power transistors but it is a fiddly job with no guarantee of success. I assume that Volvo buy in a similar system.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 07:44   #9
fiestyjim

I have a 2014 XC70 D5. The blower fan stopped working, no sounds of death from it all. An auto electrical technician has checked fuses and power to the resistor - all ok. I am trying to work out whether its the blower that needs replacing or the Blower Fan Power Stage Controller? I have seen the videos on how to replace the fan but not the controller. I assume it sits on the blower somewhere?
Edit : Found it! Video shows the controller sitting below the fan!

Last edited by fiestyjim; Sep 22nd, 2022 at 08:24. Reason: more info :
fiestyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 10:22   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

Yes, the drive circuit is typically mounted so that its heat sink takes advantage of the air flow for cooling. So half of the driver is inside the fan housing.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote