Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel - Supermarket or Branded?

Views : 7948

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Fuel - Supermarket or Branded?
Branded 52 44.07%
Supermarket 44 37.29%
Whatever I Get to First 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:21   #11
Robbie34

I use Shell V Power diesel in my V60. I also used it in my previous diesel Honda CR-V and I never had a problem with the DPF.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 19:21   #12
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Our petrol Hondas prefer Shell. V Power gives the performance engines better mileage, almost to the point where the £/m is the same as 'cooking' grades.
The 240 runs on any old stuff, although it occasionally stuttered a bit on local Tesco petrol so we don't use that anymore

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 20:31   #13
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Cars = Supermarket. Always dreaded filling up the tanks on the boat (2X200ltrs) but now strangely I relish the thought; having not done so for a year! No idea what it's origin is but the Penta's drink copiously on pretty much anything.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 20:39   #14
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Cars = Supermarket. Always dreaded filling up the tanks on the boat (2X200ltrs) but now strangely I relish the thought; having not done so for a year! No idea what it's origin is but the Penta's drink copiously on pretty much anything.
Hope you topped off the tanks completely at the end of last season. I failed to once and ended up with my tanks full of sludge come march.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 21:10   #15
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Hope you topped off the tanks completely at the end of last season. I failed to once and ended up with my tanks full of sludge come march.
Yup been there with the diesel bug. Brimmed to the filler caps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 21:33   #16
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Yup been there with the diesel bug. Brimmed to the filler caps.
Ah, so many happy memories. 😏
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 22:21   #17
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Ah, so many happy memories. 😏
Lost track of the number of fuel filters and snake oil additives I have spent in trying to cure it. Still there but controlled!

Old Feb 7th, 2021, 02:39   #18
Bashy
Aged Member

QUOTE=Robbie34;2707399]I use Shell V Power diesel in my V60. I also used it in my previous diesel Honda CR-V and I never had a problem with the DPF.[/QUOTE]

I mostly use Sainsbugs and Tesco and sometimes Asda (very rare) and even rarer BP but as it's in the village and sometimes it's about the same price, and if im low and just going up the road with my drone, then cheaper to get BP than to go , but its mostly (90%) at Tesco on my weekly shop and 9.999 at Sainsbugs, the remainder split with the rest. I am diesel and I never had a problem with my DPF, so far, I do about 5k a year, most of those equate to about 2 miles a day for the dog walk.

So, you uses expensive Shell and no DPF issues.
and I use El Cheapo Tesco and no DPF issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 11:47   #19
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

I always use Shell V-Power super unleaded in my 855 T-5R, C30 T5 Polestar and C70 T5 Polestar (unless I'm stuck in the wilderness with no Shell station in range).
Super unleaded is factory recommended for all 3 cars with an octane rating of 98. Many super unleaded brands come in at only 97 Octane (the legal minimum). Esso Synergy+, Tesco Momentum and Shell V-Power come in at 99.
On the higher performance Volvo's it certainly matters because the higher octane rating delays the onset of pre-ignition (or knocking). If the knock sensors on the engine detect knocking, the ECU will back off the ignition timing reducing power. I remember reading about a back to back rolling road test done some years ago on a Volvo V70R using a regular 95 octane unleaded against a 98 octane super unleaded. The difference was 19 BHP, presumably due to the action of the knock sensors/ECU! So in my view, always go with 99 Octane. I use Shell because its been shown by independent lab tests to have the most effective additive package for keeping the engine internals clean.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 14:28   #20
Robbie34

I mostly use Sainsbugs and Tesco and sometimes Asda (very rare) and even rarer BP but as it's in the village and sometimes it's about the same price, and if im low and just going up the road with my drone, then cheaper to get BP than to go , but its mostly (90%) at Tesco on my weekly shop and 9.999 at Sainsbugs, the remainder split with the rest. I am diesel and I never had a problem with my DPF, so far, I do about 5k a year, most of those equate to about 2 miles a day for the dog walk.

So, you uses expensive Shell and no DPF issues.
and I use El Cheapo Tesco and no DPF issues. [/QUOTE]

Are you sure that you have a DPF in your cars? Certainly the 56 reg doesn't.

Last edited by Robbie34; Feb 7th, 2021 at 14:29. Reason: wrong quote
Robbie34 is offline   Reply With Quote