Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

700/900 series full length galvanized serious roofrack.

Views : 1516

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2021, 23:46   #1
lovejoy489

Default 700/900 series full length galvanized serious roofrack.

This was the best/strongest quality roofrack, you could buy, for your 700/900 series Estate. Once attached to the roof, the roofrack becomes part of the car!! It is as solid as a rock, im pretty sure these were galvanized. It will come with 8 clamps/bolts(4 each side).
Known as the Antiques dealer/Boot fair special, these were "King", back in the day. I cant remember how long i have owned this roofrack, but its over 20 plus years(never thought i would sell it).
Dont confuse this with the smaller/shorter/lighter Alloy 700/900 roofrack, they always ended up bending, the build quality of the alloy ones, were not in the same league as these beasts!

Its the ultimate roofrack, for your 700/900 series (no, it wont fit a 240 estate either) I also owned the 240 series roofrack too, but that will be going back 3 decades!!!

Price is £125 (firm). Cash on Collection, Bring a face mask, Covid distancing applies. Kent based (approx 22 miles south of the Dartford Tunnel).

Heres a photo of said roofrack, attached to my 960 Estate (took approx 3 years ago). I dont own that Estate now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1770240-to-800.jpg (94.1 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by lovejoy489; Jan 25th, 2021 at 00:20.
lovejoy489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 13:00   #2
lovejoy489

I will have to suspend this sale of roofrack...Ive had a real good look in my garage/shed, an i cant seem to find the 8 clamps/bolts??? Theve gotta be somewhere? I still have the other end of my garage to hunt in though, so they might turn up.
Did find some other Volvo goodies, such as Boxed (as new) Lucas Air mass meter/sensor(for a 940 HPT). Pair of rear 700 saloon lenses/lights, Pair of Volvo roof bars/clamps, an a Volvo luggage/dog guard with all fixtures/fittings.
Im sure ive got other Volvo dog guards/luggage covers too, just need to sort through some more stuff!
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 17:54   #3
natmargetts

What kind of price would you be after for the 740 saloon rear lights? / do you have any pictures?
natmargetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 10:47   #4
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmargetts View Post
What kind of price would you be after for the 740 saloon rear lights? / do you have any pictures?
Give me a little time, to put a seperate thread up, listing my various Volvo spares/parts ive mentioned on here. Ive took a fair few photos, so you will get a good idea on condition. Cheers Paul.
Old May 1st, 2021, 15:05   #5
lovejoy489

Good news...Ive found the original 8 clamps/bolts/nuts/washers for this "beast of a roof rack". They were tucked away in my garage, stashed in a plastic bag, behind my set of recently sold Nebulas!!

So the sale is now back on

Im not expecting to sell this roofrack anytime soon, because its certainly an unusual bit of kit, but hey, you never know, a forum enthusiast might want it?!

Dont make me list it on Fleabay(which is where i sold my old 240 version) of this beast. Sure, "The Bay" is good for reaching a much wider audience, but like Facefudgemarketplace, its also crawling with Timewasting/Tyrekicking/Dreamers/Messers/Armchair Experts.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 12:48   #6
lovejoy489

Bumping this thread up, for a forum member.
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 04:42   #7
940volvoman
Master Member

I'm interested, but not if it's galvanised. I Thought these were aluminium so as to keep the load as light as possible... And, of course galvanised does rust whereas aluminium won't.

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 12:22   #8
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
I'm interested, but not if it's galvanised. I Thought these were aluminium so as to keep the load as light as possible... And, of course galvanised does rust whereas aluminium won't.

Shaun
I bumped this thread for a forum member who pmed me................strangley enough...they didnt respond to my last pm?!

940volvoman/Shaun...since this roofrack is not aluminium, then i guess your not interested then mate! As i stated in my 1st post on this thread...This roofrack is far far superior than the flimsy, lightweight ally ones, that always ended up bending out of shape! Ive had both the 240 and the 700/900 series roofracks in this style...ive seen a good number of these roofracks used by antiques dealers over the last 30+ years, an ive yet to see a rusted one?????!!!!!
If your concerned with the extra weight, then this is not the roofrack for you! If however, you want a serious roofrack, that will fit a large(heavy)quality 4 seater, 2 seater plus a single chair(an footstool!) all on the roof, then drive whatever distance needed to deliver said sofa, then this is the roofrack for you. (i used to stand up on top of my roof rack when loading up stuff too). You stand on the ally ones...........they bend!

I would think the heaviest load i put on my 940 (with this roofrack) was one of those ride on arcade motorbike(2 bikes!) rides for kids, you used to see outside shops etc. I parked my 940 alongside an embankment, then slide the TT Racer onto the roofrack(with the help of 2 other men. Drove 10 miles home, with ease. Then set up triple ally ladders at the back of the roofrack, slide the 20p a ride TT Racer to the rear of roofrack, an with the help of my brotherinlaw (who was also into powerlifting/weight training) we slowly slid that TT racer down the triple ladders...............job done..............The alloy type roofrack would have S*** itself, trying to do the very same.

Last edited by lovejoy489; Feb 14th, 2022 at 12:30.
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 13:27   #9
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post

Shaun
You've got me really worried now................my Brian James tilt bed is galvanised and stands out in all weathers, should l put it in the dry somewhere as it cost me an arm and a leg.................but no rust yet after 8 years.....buy it you know it makes sense.

Last edited by omc 47; Feb 14th, 2022 at 13:31.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 14:38   #10
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default No

Galvanised steel doesn't rust, why would you do it in the first place if it rusted? The big roof racks are heavy and were made in Clitheroe. I put a 10 x 6.shed (in separate pieces on mine). They fit 8.x 4 plasterboard.