Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General > S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 Servicing costs

Views : 4299

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2020, 20:34   #1
Trickdick

Default S90 Servicing costs

Hi

My S90 is leased and is coming up to 2 years old so needs its second service. I've checked local dealers and the cheapest quoted is £450.

Ive only done 14,000 miles in total and 6,000 in the last year. The frustrating thing is a month after the service I will have to hand the car back ...

Is this the going rate for Volvo servicing?

Thanks
Trickdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 13:37   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

take a look here:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...e/book/details
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 09:50   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

It's about right for a second service on an S90 - £450 is actually a bit cheaper than a quote from my local dealer so it does vary a little.

Sadly, Volvo main dealer servicing has never been cheap.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 11:52   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
It's about right for a second service on an S90 - £450 is actually a bit cheaper than a quote from my local dealer so it does vary a little.

Sadly, Volvo main dealer servicing has never been cheap.
Can you name any other makes which are "cheap" ? premium or otherwise 🙄
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 12:50   #5
deeky6

I'm in the same boat. My S90 D4 is coming up to its 2 year/36k mile service soon. It's £465 with my local Volvo dealer (Hatfields, Bury).

I made enquiries with a couple of independants who seem to be well reviewed on here - Hallmark, Stockport and Trevor Burgess, Hyde. I was thinking about going independant as I intend to keep the car for a long time so a full, main dealer history isn't essential for me.

Hallmark quoted me £185+VAT but Trevor Burgess quoted me £350 (inc VAT) but they itemised what they would do as follows:

Cost as follows

5.2 litre Oil 47.32
Oil filter 13.20
Sump plug 1.30
Engine flush 9.60
Pollen filter 44.60
Air filter 30.80
Fuel filter 46.20
Grease & fluids etc 8.00
Labour 90.00

Vat 58.20
Total 349.22

Is there an itemised service schedule for reference anywhere so you can see exactly what should be done on each service? The service page on Volvo website suggests that the 2 year service is only oil and filter change and then mostly just checks. And if that's the case then why is it £465 when the 1st service was only £225? (that was done before I took delivery of the car in January 2020).

I'm just wondering whether Trevor Burgess are wanting to do stuff that's not necessary or Hallmark aren't doing stuff that is. I'm not after making shortcuts but I don't want to be doing stuff that's not needed.

Any guidance here would be welcomed.
deeky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 14:11   #6
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

While I wouldn't especially want to push the Volvo dealer service, there are none the less some advantages over others:

1. Software updates (some of this might be moot if the car is working, and for cars over 3 years old, they are getting fewer)

2. Volvo assistance included

3. Possibility of Volvo looking 'kindly' on any claims outside of warranty period.

4. Might help to boost second hand residual value in the future (though once the car is over 3 years old, in my experience this means nothing).

5. You get a well trained Volvo technician looking after your car (sorry, this one is very tongue in cheek ...)
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 14:29   #7
deeky6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
While I wouldn't especially want to push the Volvo dealer service, there are none the less some advantages over others:

1. Software updates (some of this might be moot if the car is working, and for cars over 3 years old, they are getting fewer)

2. Volvo assistance included

3. Possibility of Volvo looking 'kindly' on any claims outside of warranty period.

4. Might help to boost second hand residual value in the future (though once the car is over 3 years old, in my experience this means nothing).

5. You get a well trained Volvo technician looking after your car (sorry, this one is very tongue in cheek ...)
I've looked again and it does look like the 2 year service includes more filters and that Trevor Burgess are probably right.

For the sake of the extra £115 I'll probably stick with Volvo for now.
deeky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 14:51   #8
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Can you name any other makes which are "cheap" ? premium or otherwise 🙄
No I can't, and it wasn't my intention to attract comparisons. Reading my post again, perhaps my last comment was unnecessary.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 21:49   #9
Davebbass

Might not be the cheapest option, but I'm still happy to have mine serviced by the main dealer. The Volvo assist which comes free for a year with every service with the AA comes to something around £150 I believe, so if you discount that, it all of the sudden makes the pricing very reasonable. And as others have said, they're more likely to look into out of warranty issues and such, and you'll also get a reasonably decent courtesy car too. I've had nothing but good experience with the supplying dealer of mine (Clive Brook Huddersfield)
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 23:05   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeky6 View Post
I'm in the same boat. My S90 D4 is coming up to its 2 year/36k mile service soon. It's £465 with my local Volvo dealer (Hatfields, Bury).

I made enquiries with a couple of independants who seem to be well reviewed on here - Hallmark, Stockport and Trevor Burgess, Hyde. I was thinking about going independant as I intend to keep the car for a long time so a full, main dealer history isn't essential for me.

Hallmark quoted me £185+VAT but Trevor Burgess quoted me £350 (inc VAT) but they itemised what they would do as follows:

Cost as follows

5.2 litre Oil 47.32
Oil filter 13.20
Sump plug 1.30
Engine flush 9.60
Pollen filter 44.60
Air filter 30.80
Fuel filter 46.20
Grease & fluids etc 8.00
Labour 90.00

Vat 58.20
Total 349.22

Is there an itemised service schedule for reference anywhere so you can see exactly what should be done on each service? The service page on Volvo website suggests that the 2 year service is only oil and filter change and then mostly just checks. And if that's the case then why is it £465 when the 1st service was only £225? (that was done before I took delivery of the car in January 2020).

I'm just wondering whether Trevor Burgess are wanting to do stuff that's not necessary or Hallmark aren't doing stuff that is. I'm not after making shortcuts but I don't want to be doing stuff that's not needed.

Any guidance here would be welcomed.

Looking at the above .

The 2nd year / 36000 mile service is the bigger one , fuel filter and air filter extra
Are they using the correct volvo specification oil ? RBS0-2AE 0W-20.
They should be using exactly 5 litres , Hopefully they know how to calibrate the oil level gauge which is part of the volvo service .

Engine flush is a money making con , totally un-necessary , that's why you pay for the top quality oil , to keep the internals clean .

Exactly what grease and fluids are they charging you £8 for ?

The free total software upgrade is very attractive at the dealer service , These new cars are having software improved on a monthly basis .

Just a few points to ponder .