Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1774992

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2021, 11:22   #2541
Othen
Premier Member

Default The Royal Barge Becomes an Historic Vehicle!

Good news: the postie delivered a new V5 for the RB today - it is now an historic vehicle:

... to say I'm delighted with the Royal Barge project would be a gross understatement; the aim was always to get a good, usable historic vehicle at a reasonable cost - and the RB has achieved that in spades.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2021 at 11:30. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:16   #2542
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Congratulations, Alan. Just reward for the time, effort and dedication that you have put into bringing the RB up to this exalted status in a little over a year!

I've really enjoyed following your progress in this thread, and look forward to reading others on the PV and, possibly, your friend's P1800ES. The only thing now is the aptness of the title, since, far from being new to you, the RB has obviously worked it's way into a permanent place in your heart!

Regards, John.
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:43   #2543
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the "officialdom" Alan!

I've often wondered if V5s for Historic class vehicles were printed on a "historic looking paper" but it seems not!

The DVLA are missing a trick there, they could give the option to have it printed on something resembling parchment for a small fee or you could make an unofficial one by scanning then printing using whichever filter (sepia?) gives the impression of age just for the fun of it (obviously not for official use though) as an addition to the RBs history.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 14:54   #2544
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Congratulations, Alan. Just reward for the time, effort and dedication that you have put into bringing the RB up to this exalted status in a little over a year!

I've really enjoyed following your progress in this thread, and look forward to reading others on the PV and, possibly, your friend's P1800ES. The only thing now is the aptness of the title, since, far from being new to you, the RB has obviously worked it's way into a permanent place in your heart!

Regards, John.
Thank you John,
When I started this thread the title seemed very apposite - but I take your point. The thread has become a bit like 'The Archers' though, so I can't change the title now!
The P1800ES: my friend says the deposit is paid, the motor car insured and everything agreed - so we will be driving to Stoke to collect it tomorrow (Thursday). Bob will come along for the day out. I'm really excited about this enterprise and I'm looking forward to it becoming an interesting project. I'm hoping my friend (let's call her Janet - that isn't her name but she can introduce herself to the forum if she chooses to) will allow me to post photos and words and the other thread will continue a while.
Alan
Old May 12th, 2021, 14:58   #2545
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Congrats on the "officialdom" Alan!

I've often wondered if V5s for Historic class vehicles were printed on a "historic looking paper" but it seems not!

The DVLA are missing a trick there, they could give the option to have it printed on something resembling parchment for a small fee or you could make an unofficial one by scanning then printing using whichever filter (sepia?) gives the impression of age just for the fun of it (obviously not for official use though) as an addition to the RBs history.
Marvellous idea Dave. I'm envisaging something a bit like the Magna Carta - written in a cursive hand by some monks on Lindisfarne.

It has taken the DVLA 6 weeks to produce the machine printed proforma, so perhaps the monks on Lindisfarne would be a bit faster?

Old May 12th, 2021, 15:36   #2546
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Marvellous idea Dave. I'm envisaging something a bit like the Magna Carta - written in a cursive hand by some monks on Lindisfarne.

It has taken the DVLA 6 weeks to produce the machine printed proforma, so perhaps the monks on Lindisfarne would be a bit faster?

Great minds think alike Alan! That had crossed my mind too but i was also thinking of a parchment like scroll with the modern printing purely for the juxtaposition of old and new.

The copperplate font applied by a good calligraphist (maybe even with illuminated letters at appropriate places) on a sheet of aged looking parchment would look amazing and as a nod to the monks on Lindisfarne, once framed in a nice frame, you could drink a toast of Buckfast Wine to it!

I doubt it would take as long as 6 weeks either! I remember 15 year old me in a maths lesson and my mate sat next to me had scruffy writing and general workings out in his book, for which the teacher admonished him.
"A monk couldn't have writ that in ten years!" was his reply! Never worked out why that has always stayed with me but it was funny at the time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 16:25   #2547
Othen
Premier Member

Default Another Vehicle...

I was trying to avoid buying too many vehicles, but then came across this absolute beauty this morn, and have just bought it over the telephone:

... I know, I don't need another bike, but then...

Bob and I will have a day out collecting it from East Sussex tomorrow (Sunday)

Old May 15th, 2021, 16:29   #2548
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Very nice Alan! Shame there isn't a sidecar for Bob, just make sure you don't wear the wrong trousers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 16:39   #2549
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Very nice Alan! Shame there isn't a sidecar for Bob, just make sure you don't wear the wrong trousers!
The internet is a very dangerous thing Dave. Before everything was online I'd probably never have seen, or even known about that bike - now Bob and I are driving 300 miles with a bike trailer to collect it tomorrow.

Old May 15th, 2021, 16:57   #2550
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

So what's the story, Alan. Is it a modern interpretation of a WW2 classic, a military version of a production machine (like the infamous BSA B31?), a special, or a machine that you had in your youth?? I'm very much out of touch with the biking world these days, but I can still appreciate a fine looking machine when I see one!

Regards, John.

PS. A man cannot have too many toys! J.