Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 PowerPulse pipe bursting

Views : 15594

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 21:12   #21
Boatie
Master Member

Just an observation as my D4 V90 doesn't have PowerPulse. So far as I can see from the various photos in this thread most if not all pipe failures have been at a pipe terminal not the rubber pipe as such. Any hosetail I've ever seen, plastic or metal have a series of barbs to give the pipe to fitting more grip once the metal collet is crimped. Just google 'hosetail fitting' and you will see what I mean. I wouldn't be allowed to use such a terminal on my boat low pressure (8 psi) fuel system (that's what I've been doing today)

Last edited by Boatie; Jan 2nd, 2020 at 21:18.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 23:58   #22
deepsix

I work in the diving industry and we have hoses with a working pressure of ~300bar / 4300+ psi without problem. The whole ship will have thousands of air, gas and hydraulic systems that run the bells,chambers and engine systems and don't 'burst' or fail.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 09:49   #23
Quacker
Premier Member

Volvo use a cheap low pressure hose not much better than a garden hose, that’s the problem. They could use a flexible half inch single wire reinforced hydraulic hose for pennies more cost that would never come near bursting at the modest pressure peak of the power pulse system. Unfortunately the crimped-on terminals are unique to Volvo as far as I can see, so the only way to patch a hydraulic hose to them would require some careful sawing and welding or brazing.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 12:40   #24
Duri13

Just found out that my powerpulse pipe is unplugged. But I have no idea when this happened and have not noticed any loss of power either. Car has 27.000km. Anyway, appointment requested, hopefully I will get it fixed next week.
Is this covered by a standard warranty?
Will I get also all the software updates?
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 13:12   #25
deepsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
Just found out that my powerpulse pipe is unplugged. But I have no idea when this happened and have not noticed any loss of power either. Car has 27.000km. Anyway, appointment requested, hopefully I will get it fixed next week.
Is this covered by a standard warranty?
Will I get also all the software updates?
It is covered by the standard warranty. Performance is not too affected apart from initial acceleration. Once turbo spins up it all seems normal. I'm getting my third one repaired under warranty tomorrow. Not sure about software update but while yours is in just ask for it?

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 13:56   #26
Duri13

Well it's true that recently the car was not as fast at initial acceleration as before but I thought that I'm imagining it and I just got used to the car...
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 17:31   #27
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I think one of my Power Pulse pipes has gave up today, I was driving slowly looking for a space in a carpark when there was a really loud bang which strangely sounded like it came from the left rear of the car, initially I thought someone had thrown something at the car and then thought Power Pulse pipe.
After parking I looked over the car and there was no damage, then I thought it may have been the air suspension with the bang appearing to come from the rear but that is all operating fine.
I opened the bonnet and checked the pipe near the stop start battery that I have see photos of on the forum that were posted of parted PP pipe but that is still intact, the car is driving ok and I am not sure if I can detect a slight blow in the area below the alternator when engine running when looking under the bonnet, its hard to tell if its a blow or the belts.
The bang did sound like a burst pressure pipe or a sudden pressure release and was loud enough to turn heads of people near-by.
Looks like I will have to visit my dealer for them to check it over.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 17:43   #28
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I think one of my Power Pulse pipes has gave up today, I was driving slowly looking for a space in a carpark when there was a really loud bang which strangely sounded like it came from the left rear of the car, initially I thought someone had thrown something at the car and then thought Power Pulse pipe.
After parking I looked over the car and there was no damage, then I thought it may have been the air suspension with the bang appearing to come from the rear but that is all operating fine.
I opened the bonnet and checked the pipe near the stop start battery that I have see photos of on the forum that were posted of parted PP pipe but that is still intact, the car is driving ok and I am not sure if I can detect a slight blow in the area below the alternator when engine running when looking under the bonnet, its hard to tell if its a blow or the belts.
The bang did sound like a burst pressure pipe or a sudden pressure release and was loud enough to turn heads of people near-by.
Looks like I will have to visit my dealer for them to check it over.
If you want to do any further investigation yourself, run the car for a few minutes then stop the engine and immediately listen under the bonnet for a hissing, I could hear this on one of my bursts. Also, listen out for the compressor under the front offside wind running for a prolonged period every time you start the car.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 17:48   #29
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Thank you, I will do that, when I checked earlier there was nothing obvious.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 18:24   #30
deepsix

There is a join in the pipe in the panel below the radiator which is easy to see. New hoses are now on back order from Volvo so it's obviously a common issue.

Last edited by deepsix; Jan 7th, 2020 at 18:25. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:

Tags
burst, d5 engine, explode, power pulse, powerpulse