Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 wont start, shows engine and oil light,

Views : 5498

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2017, 09:18   #1
Shala

Default xc90 wont start, shows engine and oil light,

hi guys, just bought my xc90 privately 3 days ago. drove all ok. yesterday i spent the whole day cleaning the interior, the annoying interior lights come on everytime open a door and theres so many of them.. for a short period i had the stereo on. at 4pm i tried starting the car and it said low battery so i jump tarted the car with wifes car and drove for 20 mins. at 10.30pm i drove the car about 3 miles, had loud music as i was enjoying the good speakers it has, i parked for an hour. when i went back to the car it wouldnt start, a neighbour tried helping jump start but nothing happened, xc90 didnt even want to tick over.. i realised the engine and oil light came on. i had to leave the car there, 1 neighbour was nice enough to give me parking permit for the day.

what could be causing the problem and whats the best resolution to solve this issue?

kind regards
shala
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 09:27   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Start by checking battery voltage and putting a battery charger on it overnight if the battery is not fully charged.

Then the fastest easiest method is to use VIDA to read the codes and find out why the engine is refusing to start (but you may not have VIDA).

A no-start situation could be anything from a invalid key, the shiftlock preventing starter motor engagement, a failled startermotor relay, a failled startermotor, or many other things.

This is why reading the codes makes it so easy to diagnose. Without a code reader you are working blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 09:32   #3
Shala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Start by checking battery voltage and putting a battery charger on it overnight if the battery is not fully charged.

Then the fastest easiest method is to use VIDA to read the codes and find out why the engine is refusing to start (but you may not have VIDA).

A no-start situation could be anything from a invalid key, the shiftlock preventing starter motor engagement, a failled startermotor relay, a failled startermotor, or many other things.

This is why reading the codes makes it so easy to diagnose. Without a code reader you are working blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back.
Hi Swiss, thanks for quick responce, I dont have a vida unfortunately, i will try taking the battery off and charge it, will check the fuses too as theres daylight now,
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 10:02   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I would just remove the battery BUT remove it PROPERLY as per instructions in your handbook.

Thoroughly charge it and then reinstall it PROPERLY in the sequence in your handbook.

These cars have numerous control modules and do not like having the battery flattened.

Removing the battery fully for a period can allow them to reset.

I have a feeling that if you do this and nothing else all will be fine.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:08.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 11:14   #5
diro

If battery charging/replacing will not help I have a feeling CEM is counting last days. Typical symptoms.
Also I have a feeling a previous owner knew about this problem and sold a car.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 03:05   #6
Shala

I went to get the battery after posting. was going to go pick up the battery & charge it. I thought let me turn the key. By surprise the car started on first try. When I turn the key to III all lights go on then off, but engine and oil sign still remains. but once i fire up the engine the signs dissapear

It has started 1st time every time since then though.

Can everyone confirm if this is normal?
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 03:36   #7
Shala

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I would just remove the battery BUT remove it PROPERLY as per instructions in your handbook.

Thoroughly charge it and then reinstall it PROPERLY in the sequence in your handbook.

These cars have numerous control modules and do not like having the battery flattened.

Removing the battery fully for a period can allow them to reset.

I have a feeling that if you do this and nothing else all will be fine.
Hi, thanks for the reply, havn't checked the handbook yet but seen youtube, says to remove negative first then positive.

it says when fitting battery I have to put ignition to position II? does that sound right?
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 09:25   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shala View Post
hi guys, just bought my xc90 privately 3 days ago. drove all ok. yesterday i spent the whole day cleaning the interior, the annoying interior lights come on everytime open a door and theres so many of them.. for a short period i had the stereo on. at 4pm i tried starting the car and it said low battery so i jump tarted the car with wifes car and drove for 20 mins. at 10.30pm i drove the car about 3 miles, had loud music as i was enjoying the good speakers it has, i parked for an hour. when i went back to the car it wouldnt start, a neighbour tried helping jump start but nothing happened, xc90 didnt even want to tick over.. i realised the engine and oil light came on. i had to leave the car there, 1 neighbour was nice enough to give me parking permit for the day.

what could be causing the problem and whats the best resolution to solve this issue?

kind regards
shala
you bought someone elses problem , but Most likely the battery is no good . The interior lights turn off after 10 mins , and the dash shuts down when the voltage gets low with a warning , You should still be able to start it when this happens .
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 07:59   #9
jamie1131

Is it automatic?

If it is, £1,000,000 says that you didn't have it in park or neutral while you were trying to start it the first time, gave up, put it in park locked the car and walked away. Came back to it the next day and it was fine. Try starting it in drive and see if you have the same symptoms.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 00:46   #10
Shala

Hi, yes, the car is automatic. A friend topped up the battery for me, and charged it with a 4 amp charger, took about 12hrs to get green light. I put the battery back in my car and it was alright. that night after driving I got home and saw the message low battery. I went to halfords today as they do free battery test. The guy said the battery and the alternator are fine. he said 4 AMP home chargers not too great for the battery, the best thing to do is go for a long drive. I can say the car hasn't had any starting problems since that night

I will still get a breakdown cover though