Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water getting into passenger footwell

Views : 11608

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 16:27   #1
Model flyer
Master Member

Default Water getting into passenger footwell

Hi all . My2007 V70 Se lux D5 is now driving me mad . Its generally a great car but I have now had problems with water getting into the front passenger foot well ? . I have had this problem a couple of times now and first noticed it when a bad smell in the car was getting worse.It has only happened when the car is parked during very heavy persistent rain as wev'e all experienced lately. The carpets all felt dry until I lifted out the over carpets and the fitted carpet in the foot well was soaked . I cant tell where its getting in as no tell tale signs on the sills or tunnel carpet . I took all of the door seal and footplate off and lifted the carpet . It was very dry underneath so the fixed carpets are proper water proof . The drains in the panel at the bottom of the screen seem clear . I run with the air con on all the time so its not the drain from the unit . Any suggestions please (Not rude ones ) :-) Thanks

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 17:24   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile wet or dry?

Hi Model,

Certainly the right sort of weather for leaking!,,, i would suggest the CEM but thats on the drivers side, unless its somehow running in there and across the passenger side, could it be something near the air inlet, i found a pic taken when i had mine to pieces it looks likely that water could build up in the corner near the suspension strut perhaps ? Have you tried taking the pollen filter out to see if its wet in there?, its in the passenger footwell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sml_0815.JPG (172.7 KB, 142 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 20:44   #3
BL08
VOC Member

Default Windscreen?

I had to have a new windscreen a few months ago and when the fitter came to remove the old one it wasn't properly stuck along a good section of the top length. Is that a possibility for your car I wonder? I don't think it leaked on mine however.
The Following User Says Thank You to BL08 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 15:31   #4
Model flyer
Master Member

Thanks for relies I'll check those points when it stop raining !!!
Thanks again

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 10:17   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

After drying out the foot-well ,it stayed dry for a while even during periods of heavy rain .Then It got wet again and the smell started ! It coincided with giving a lift to a friend during heavy rain . Then the other day I washed the car . When I opened the front passenger door to wipe around the doors there was water sitting along the top of the inner door seal and it slowly drained between the seal and the body work . I have now checked the door lock striking plate and found that the door was not being pulled in as tight as it should be so the outer seal was leaking . Hopefully all sorted .
Thanks for all replies and suggestions .

The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 11:18   #6
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
After drying out the foot-well ,it stayed dry for a while even during periods of heavy rain .Then It got wet again and the smell started ! It coincided with giving a lift to a friend during heavy rain . Then the other day I washed the car . When I opened the front passenger door to wipe around the doors there was water sitting along the top of the inner door seal and it slowly drained between the seal and the body work . I have now checked the door lock striking plate and found that the door was not being pulled in as tight as it should be so the outer seal was leaking . Hopefully all sorted .
Thanks for all replies and suggestions .
Are there any signs of accident damage/repairs in the front passenger door area?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 14:37   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

No no signs whatsoever. All looks original . Still dry .The adjustment of the striking plate was only a couple of mill but its made all the difference .

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 10:30   #8
Model flyer
Master Member

I have still got the leak !!! . One of the torrential downpours found it . This time however I found drips on the bottom of the dash right below the window post suggesting the sun roof drain was blocked . I checked the sunroof drain on that side with a plastic rod and can get down to about the dash level . When it was withdrawn there was a lot of dirt on it so have now flushed out the drain tube . I cant find where the drain tube runs after it leaves the window post without stripping the interior out but water runs freely from the bottom of the door sill when poured into the sunroof . The only other possibility now is the windscreen ,but surely that would leak all the time and not just during really heavy rain . The other puzzle is that it only seams to leak while the car is standing and never while driving !
Any experience of this or suggestion welcome .

Old Aug 12th, 2014, 23:44   #9
wilbydoughboy

I have an xc60 and have had the same problem with water leaking to the passenger front footwell. I had noticed a very small drip coming from the top of the windscreen on the passenger side but that stopped, but the water was leaking still out of sight. On closer inspection when it was raining I could see it dripping on the passenger side under the glove box and to the side of the glove box. If you stand outside the car on the passenger side and push the windscreen from the inside you may see some movement where the screen bonding has failed. I removed the trims on the sides of the screen to see how the screen bonding was on these areas and put gaffer tape across the top of the screen and kept a note of how much water leaked in when it rained. Once I was sure it was the top of the screen leaking I cut away the rubber channel and filled with sealer. This seems to have stopped the leak for the past 5 months but I still check under the carpets when it has rained and touch wood all is dry. I will give it till next spring and if still dry I will fit a rubber trim to cover the sealant. When and if the screen needs re bonding I will get it done but these things can create more problems.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wilbydoughboy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 15:30   #10
Model flyer
Master Member

Well we had a few more deluges a few days ago after I cleaned the sunroof drain tubes and it has kept dry so fingers crossed. wilbydoughboy Thanks for your input . I don't think its the screen as it is intermittent and only leaks after very heavy rain; and as you say changing a screen can mess up other things. I haven't been able to make it leak with a hose so have to wait for those special rain storms . Like you I regularly feel the carpet to check for leaks .

Last edited by Model flyer; Aug 13th, 2014 at 15:32.