Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aflarm...?

Views : 507

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2021, 23:04   #1
Exasperant

Default Aflarm...?

Yes, I know there is no f in alarm. That might be the problem.

My clearly "rolling project" 940 arrived earlier. A few curious quirks, a couple of concerns, and much curiosity.

Not the least of which is... Do these cars have an alarm as standard? Because mine came with no fobs, and an aftermarket looking flashing led thing stuck on an A post.

Central locking works fine, but I want an alarm and the convenience of remote locking. And I'd prefer not to have the inconvenience of a dormant factory fit system waking up when I'm god knows where!
Exasperant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exasperant For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 01:36   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exasperant View Post
Yes, I know there is no f in alarm. That might be the problem.

My clearly "rolling project" 940 arrived earlier. A few curious quirks, a couple of concerns, and much curiosity.

Not the least of which is... Do these cars have an alarm as standard? Because mine came with no fobs, and an aftermarket looking flashing led thing stuck on an A post.

Central locking works fine, but I want an alarm and the convenience of remote locking. And I'd prefer not to have the inconvenience of a dormant factory fit system waking up when I'm god knows where!
That "aftermarket looking flashing LED thing stuck to the A pillar" is in fact a Volvo factory alarm!

I think it's Guard1 but might well be wrong, i belive you can get aftermarket fobs or even genuine ones at a reasonable price and program them to the alarm but there are several other people who know the system better than me. It would help them enormously if you could give details of the MY, exact model and year so they could narrow down which you're most likely to have.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 09:21   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That "aftermarket looking flashing LED thing stuck to the A pillar" is in fact a Volvo factory alarm!

I think it's Guard1 but might well be wrong, i belive you can get aftermarket fobs or even genuine ones at a reasonable price and program them to the alarm but there are several other people who know the system better than me. It would help them enormously if you could give details of the MY, exact model and year so they could narrow down which you're most likely to have.
It could very well be, 'L.S.'. On the other hand, it could equally well be something that someone has added to MIMIC an alarm. My '91(H) 944 GLE was not equipped with an alarm, so, on the advice of the supplying dealer, I aaked him to fit a flashing LED for just that purpose. Even then, while car alarms were largely ignored, the reasoning went that the implied presence of one might just be enough to cause a casual, opportunist thief to move on to a 'softer' target.

Regards, John.
Old May 15th, 2021, 11:44   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

If the LED thing on the A-pilar is triangular with a button on it then you almost certainly have a Volvoguard 1 alarm as others have suggested. They were fitted to cars up to about 1995. Either factory or as a dealer option.

The Volvo fobs looked like the attached picture. They are quite rare now but crop up on eBay periodically.

There are several things that fail and cause people to abandon the system. Inside the fob is a 1MHz ceramic resonator which comes detached from the PCB. This results in the fob not working and the LED not illuminating. The fob can be easily opened and the component either re-soldered or replaced. Inside the triangular thing in the car is a small blue Murata variable capacitor which tunes the receiving circuit. This goes out of spec. Some have effected permanent repairs just by adjusting this capacitor. However, I found it had become unstable and wouldn’t stay in tune so I replaced it in my 1994 Wentworth. Relatively easy to do in situ if you’re a bit nifty with a soldering iron.

More detail on fob repair.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253183

More detail on receiver repair.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200312
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A4A4F259-8B66-4FF9-BAF2-9A7991CBE18F.jpeg (113.5 KB, 5 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 11:53   #5
Exasperant

Triangular with a button?

I just grabbed pics, and... It sounds like it then!

My concern is not so much how to get it working as how to stop it working when I don't have any fob plipper thing to turn it off. Although if it could be made to work again it might save me installing something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlashyFront.jpg (150.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FlashySide.jpg (116.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ultrasonic.jpg (163.1 KB, 10 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exasperant For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 16:46   #6
J liddy

If your car volvo guard 1 fuse is under bonnet around suspension strut area passenger6 side or above your knee drivers side .see other posts by me
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 17:29   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Check out Hawk alarms. The remotes on our S70 both fell to bits, so I got a Hawk central locking module. It was a doddle to fit, and has worked perfectly for years now. They also do full alarm systems. The company were incredibly helpful and were even able to supply a wiring diagram for the S70.

https://www.hawkcaralarm.com

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 18:13   #8
Exasperant

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Check out Hawk alarms. The remotes on our S70 both fell to bits, so I got a Hawk central locking module.
Cheers
Jack
I seem to remember getting one of their alarms ages ago, it had the features I wanted but you couldn't soft chirp the siren when arming/ dearming. It's still in a box somewhere, I went with a Hornet or Viper thing cheap off Feebay in the end.

Irritatingly, I have another Hornet or whatever, sold as "Avital", somewhere. Bought for a project it never got fitted to, and trying to think where it got hidden. Can order them from the US for about £70 all in, allegedly, and they've got pretty much everything I'm after, inc soft chirpy. But I'm reluctant to buy something I should already have!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exasperant For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2021, 23:45   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

If you get the Volvoguard 1 working it has a configurable option for an audible acknowledgment. They generally only have horns rather a siren though. This is good because the backup batteries in Volvo sirens eventually decay and destroy the siren. The basic horns don’t have this weakness.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: