Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 Cross Country V70 - Alternator question

Views : 636

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2021, 05:37   #1
kymg

Default 2002 Cross Country V70 - Alternator question

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Cross Country V70 petrol. It is the turbo engine.

I have a rattley alternator. I am not sure whether it is bearings or the pulley.

I have seen that the pulley can be replaced however that was on a Diesel engine.

Pulling theses things out can be a cow of a job and one that I am not looking forward to so any suggestions re pulleys would be appreciated
kymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:43   #2
oragex
Premier Member

You can remove the alternator this way https://youtu.be/zlp6qvYBJMU
Be sure to inspect all other pulleys while there

Old May 12th, 2021, 14:07   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

How many miles are on your 2002?
My '02's regulator went out at ~185K.
I skipped R&Ring the regulator. A starter / alternator shop near me rebuilt it.

Removing your turbo boost pipe is the only added step over a non-turbo.
I don't think it's a cow nor pig of a job.
Identify the rebuilder good garages use and just bring it to them.

The freewheel removal tool is simple and affordable but all that static bending in a confined space whilst trying to muscle unfamiliar hardware just to change the pulley would be a bear.

While it's easier to do on a bench, it's still a very awkward job without hold-down jigs etc.

You're much better served by a quality rebuild. You get new everything.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 22:29   #4
kymg

Hi and thank you for the responses.

When the car starts, there is a rattle from the alternator. It is more or less continuous then as the car warms up it becomes less pronounced - rattle for a second then stop, then rattle for a second or two then stop. It rattles when the accelerator is applied, then stops.

The car has done 172,000 kilometres so I don’t think it should have given up the ghost just yet.

Unfortunately it is going to be difficult job because I cannot feel let alone see the rear clamp on the turbo. And some bright spark has tightened the front clamp on the so that I may have to take the radiator to undo it.

I will need to buy a new alternator I suspect. At least that way it has a warranty and it will have a longer life.

Agin that is for your help.
Old May 13th, 2021, 21:13   #5
myfirstv70

Default Don't be too hasty...

I'll bet you a beer it's your alternator pulley.....it's cheap and easy to replace with a special tool even in the car but I would probably get a garage to do it....
HTH,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 21:51   #6
kymg

Default Getting one.

Volvos of this vintage are a bit thin on the ground here in the Antipodes and so are spare parts at an affordable price. E.g. $48.00AUD for one brake calliper spring clip.

So getting a pulley may be tricky however I will look and see what I can find.

If it is the pulley I will owe you a beer.
Old May 14th, 2021, 03:38   #7
oilit
All the gear - no idea

if you go down the replacement alternator route, there were two different types on my 2000 p2 t5 -the wrong one will not fit down the gap the old one came out of :-( - don't ask me how I found out.
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 20:58   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

alternator pulleys are not specific to just volvo try cross referance on parts it will be common to other vehicles
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 12:40   #9
kymg

Well it seems like it is the pulley.

And here is the kicker. A separate pulley is not available in Australia and so an entire alternator is required.

The labour to install the pulley would be the same at the alternator is the same.

I had another look at it yesterday. It is an absolute pig of a job.

Much as I resent having to pay for labour as I do most of the work on the car myself, I am kinda thinking I will be more than happy to have someone do it.

I will a quiet car on Wednesday afternoon.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:17   #10
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

You'd think <108K miles (172Kkm) is early for an alternator to go but you must remember your vehicle is 20 years old. The "one-way" pawls in the freewheel pulley may have broken or the bearing may have dried out. This is happening to the alternator's bearings too. They use good grease but grease flows and gets dirty.

Did you select new or rebuilt? Come Wednesday night please post what finally got done and how much it costcha.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote