Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What can I expect to pay

Views : 586

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 07:48   #1
chrisf1

Default What can I expect to pay

What can I expect to pay for labour to have timing belt, water pump tensioners etc changed on my 2006 D5 XC90 thanks Chris
chrisf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 14:29   #2
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf1 View Post
What can I expect to pay for labour to have timing belt, water pump tensioners etc changed on my 2006 D5 XC90 thanks Chris
I had a quote from Volvo recently for an all belt change with tensioner and pulley at £474

It has been said on here that you you shouldn't change the water pump unless you are having problems with it. The replacement pump (if non volvo) is often of a poorer quality and may cause problems.
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2021, 14:39   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf1 View Post
I did mine myself in the drive, as cam belts etc go it’s a pretty easy job so worth considering. I would imagine if you were doing it on a refgular basis you would be doing the whole lot in 1.5 hours with absolute ease!

Everyone tells you to not change the water pump. There is lots of Volvo ‘Lore’ BS out there. I think what people forget is this.
- the belt is changed at 108K, so even if it is good there is no guarantee that it will be at 216,000 miles (next change).
- genuine pumps are only about £60 all in.
- it’s a 10 minute job.

To not change the pump you must be totally poor (which is fine) or be very open about a potential breakdown etc., so ignore what people say.

1.5hours Labour and £125 quid or so for genuine kit. £250-350 all in.

One bit of advice I will give is that people are right not to remove a top quality water pump then replace with a pattern part, get genuine Volvo.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:39   #4
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
To not change the pump you must be totally poor (which is fine) or be very open about a potential breakdown etc., so ignore what people say.

The Volvo water pumps are a different thing than say, a BMW or Honda water pump. The original Volvo ones last over 200000 miles with the right coolant. Most Volvo dealers suggest replacing the original pump at the second timing belt only, so it's not BS. Of course, anyone is free to replace the parts they want, only a water pump is not that easy to remove, and of course it adds a coolant drain and correct burp procedure. It's NOT a 10 minutes job by any standard.

Last edited by oragex; May 11th, 2021 at 12:42.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 14:14   #5
Danielpsmith
Master Member

If it helps my broken engine that came out of mine was on 193000 miles and the water pump was still perfectly smooth on it.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 16:14   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Oh go on then, I'll bite....

Quote:
Everyone tells you to not change the water pump. There is lots of Volvo ‘Lore’ BS out there.
Not BS at all. Find a forum thread where the original pump has failed before the second timing belt change when all belt and pulleys have been changed on schedule. .

Quote:
the belt is changed at 108K, so even if it is good there is no guarantee that it will be at 216,000 miles (next change).
Simple answer..... Yes it will be fine.
Never even considered changing the pump on several 200+k D5s with their original pump.

Quote:
To not change the pump you must be totally poor
Lol, not true. Much like prematurely changing a pump only a third into its life doesn't mean you're rich.
Not changing the pump just means that you understand and appreciate its quality and the many years and examples of non failure.
By your rationale, someone who doesn't change their tyres or their oil every 3000 must be poor.

Quote:
One bit of advice I will give is that people are right not to remove a top quality water pump then replace with a pattern part, get genuine Volvo.
It has a reputation for being a top quality pump because it does not need changing.
If you do change it at 96k, you're relegating it to being a bog standard, average pump.
You can't have it both ways.

For all of your sage advice, not a single mention of the auxiliary belt and pulleys which will trash your engine long before a water pump will.

I also noticed that you didn't mention changing the alternator clutch pulley.
Now that is a D5 killer with plenty of examples and would be a much better use of your money..... assuming you're rich enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 16:49   #7
oragex
Premier Member

I would add that it costs nothing to just spin the pump by hand while the belt is off. A 2 seconds check that should give a good idea about the pump condition.
Old May 11th, 2021, 17:11   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I would add that it costs nothing to just spin the pump by hand while the belt is off. A 2 seconds check that should give a good idea about the pump condition.
Agreed.
I don't think anyone has suggested that it shouldn't be replaced under any circumstances more that it's not necessary to replace it in nearly all circumstances.

In my timing belt video and with every timing belt change, I check the coolant pump and I'm happy with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 17:16   #9
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Did my timing belt at 95K - checked the water pump as suggested, all good.
Now at 145K all fine.

BTW I did change Auxiliary belt and tensioner but have yet to change Alternator clutch pulley - hmmm, I need to check it!

I love this car - my wife does most of the driving, around 25K per year and apart from servicing no additional major costs. I did change the gearbox fluid at around 90K so this must have helped. I do have the rocker cover leak around the swirl arm but this has been same for nearly 70K so not in a hurry to fix it!!

I think they do like being driven which is possibly why ours is doing so well - I am not sure would be the same if you are just pottering about.

Last edited by XJSDriver; May 11th, 2021 at 17:21.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote