Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water getting into passenger footwell

Views : 11614

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2015, 17:54   #11
tomgauld

Default xc60 water leak front passenger well

I have the same problem with a water leak but cannot locate the source it seems ok when I'm driving but leaks when stationary in heavy rain.
tomgauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 11:36   #12
Model flyer
Master Member

Do you have a sunroof ? If you do then check the drain tubes as since I cleaned them I have not had a leak . I cleaned mine with some plastic tubing used for radio control model aircraft control linkages . They are not expensive but any similar type of tubing will do.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 09:53   #13
somersetmale

Default 2012 XC60 Water Ingress.

Hi guys,

Have been reading various messages about water ingress on XC60's as I have experienced the same problem recently.
First time was when I got in my car after work (it had been raining quite heavily) and as I put my hand on the gear-stick a drop of water landed on it.
When I looked up, I could see water dripping from the light cluster and there was a pool of water around the gear-stick boot.
The next time was after a day of particularly heavy rain. Went to my car after work and found the drivers mat 'full' of water.
After doing some research, I understand if you have a sunroof that the drain channels can get blocked and cause water to overflow around the roof drainage rail and into the upholstered area at the top of the windscreen.
I have seen where some-one had this happen and they removed the cover to the A pillar and discovered the drain tube has a join where it enters the dashboard and the join had separated. This allowed the water to drain into the footwell instead of being carried outside as intended.
I have poured water in the channels with the roof open (to better see what happens) and while water runs out on the passenger side and is discharged beneath the car, nothing happened on the drivers side.
Unless I have some proof to suggest otherwise, I am assuming the drivers side drain tube is blocked and that the passengers side is not adequate to take the water away quickly enough on its own. So intend finding something suitable to clear the blockage (I don't possess an air compressor) and see what develops. Will post again once I have tried this.
somersetmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 16:43   #14
Ian Fraser

Angry Water in footwell XC60

Being new to the forum, I hope I am doing this correctly.
I have had water in the drivers footwell. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to sort out. They have told me that the 'drains' from the windscreen area are probably blocked and need clearing. They also want to charge me £850 for the work.
I have not seen anywhere in the Volvo Owners Handbook or elsewhere, any information about drains from the windscreen area - or anywhere else- that need clearing. Should this not be part of the Annual Maintenance Schedule carried out by the Dealer or should this be something that an owner can do.
I have only had the car for four years, will this be something that happens every 3 - 4 years?
I think that there must be a design fault in the XC60 that should therefore be dealt with at the cost to Volvo. As the dealer already knew of such problems and new how to fix it, let alone already having a price for the work, is proof that they are aware of such problems.
Ian Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 20:25   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Thumbs down £850

That is a ludicrous sum of money for unblocking a drain line which shouldn't have been blocked in the first place. I tend to think of Volvo owners being decent people but I'm beginning to feel that Volvo dealers are no better than any bunch of unethical opportunistic parasites.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 09:10   #16
somersetmale

Default Water in Footwell - Update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetmale View Post
Hi guys,

Have been reading various messages about water ingress on XC60's as I have experienced the same problem recently.
First time was when I got in my car after work (it had been raining quite heavily) and as I put my hand on the gear-stick a drop of water landed on it.
When I looked up, I could see water dripping from the light cluster and there was a pool of water around the gear-stick boot.
The next time was after a day of particularly heavy rain. Went to my car after work and found the drivers mat 'full' of water.
After doing some research, I understand if you have a sunroof that the drain channels can get blocked and cause water to overflow around the roof drainage rail and into the upholstered area at the top of the windscreen.
I have seen where some-one had this happen and they removed the cover to the A pillar and discovered the drain tube has a join where it enters the dashboard and the join had separated. This allowed the water to drain into the footwell instead of being carried outside as intended.
I have poured water in the channels with the roof open (to better see what happens) and while water runs out on the passenger side and is discharged beneath the car, nothing happened on the drivers side.
Unless I have some proof to suggest otherwise, I am assuming the drivers side drain tube is blocked and that the passengers side is not adequate to take the water away quickly enough on its own. So intend finding something suitable to clear the blockage (I don't possess an air compressor) and see what develops. Will post again once I have tried this.
Just to update anyone interested in this thread.
Last week we had heavy rain and my footwell was flooded again. I phoned my local Volvo dealership and they arranged for me to take the car in.
When I did this, I was kept waiting over an hour for them to diagnose where the water was coming from.
Eventually the chap came with the news saying the water ingress was as a result of the drainage pipe from the sunroof not exiting outside the car, but some exiting where the wiring loom connects to the door and some running down inside the car. He asked if I had had a problem with the electrics sunroof to which I said no. He then said, you will need to bring it back for us to deal with the problem, but in the meantime do not try to use the sunroof. (I noticed that the sunscreen (electric was partly open. It was closed when I left the car.)
On the way home, I could smell a new smell, but it wasn't so strong to identify. On opening the car the next morning after being shut up all night, I immediately recognised the smell as burnt wiring.
I rang the garage as soon as I knew they were open and spoke to the guy I had previously dealt with, I assume a supervisor, who said, leave it with me and I will get back to you soon. About 15 minutes later I received a phone call from their bodyshop manager who told me not to drive the car and they would arrange for it to be collected and provide a courtesy car. That the service dept. manager had seen a circular stating that some cars suffering this condition with water running down the wiring loom risking a fire hazard. When I asked who was going to pay for this, he said that the car was out of warranty , but there was an avenue of recourse they could investigate. i.e. Volvo to pay.
Since this, I have spoken to the Bodyshop manager and he has informed me that the drainage pipe which is in two pieces had come adrift and that they had reconnected this and were currently drying out the carpets. Once this was done they would check the electrics, but thought it would only be a fuse. I get the feeling they think I am stupid as the whole point of having fuses is to avoid wiring catching fire. If it was just a fuse, there would have been no smell of burnt wiring. We have yet to resolve who will pay for their work, but sense they are trying to play down the responsibility that ought to lie with Volvo over poor design of a system that they have known for years is fraught with potential problems.
I am seeking advice in advance of how I can seek recompense should they say I have to pay. Anyone who has a similar experience, please advise .
somersetmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 01:43   #17
Gazzza

Mrs V50 had same fault....
And indeed it was the pipe from the sunroof that had come off / blocked etc.

Went in and ordered 2 new ones all fitted and no more flooded footwell that was 2yrs ago

if blocked with mud ... dirt ... i was thinking hose pipe with some force or...

Mr muscle drain unblocker LOL

or air pipe from compressor to clean it out ...
Old May 8th, 2021, 11:22   #18
miccurr

Just reading through this thread, my car has drips of water landing on the gear nob, dropping from the internal light. I’m guessing it’s coming from the tailgate and running forward. Seen a clip on YouTube where a fella stuck a sealing strip from a p2 car above the hinges of the tailgate. My car doesn’t have a sunroof. Passenger footwell soaked also. Anyone solved this?
miccurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:16   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

While I don't necessarily agree that the water dripping onto the gear lever is coming from the tailgate, water ingress is a tricky problem and the source of such problems is not always obvious. However if you do want to put a sealing strip on the tailgate to stop possible water ingress into the hinges, you do not have to use a Volvo component to do the job. I had a roll of window frame sealing "rubber" strip which I chose to use as it was brown and colour coded the paintwork better than the Volvo black strip. I fitted it and it does what the Volvo part would have done at a fraction of the cost (nothing if you figure this was a scrap leftover piece of sealing strip), out of sight and if seen, colour coded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210508_120832.jpg (59.4 KB, 99 views)
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:57   #20
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccurr View Post
Just reading through this thread, my car has drips of water landing on the gear nob, dropping from the internal light. I’m guessing it’s coming from the tailgate and running forward. Seen a clip on YouTube where a fella stuck a sealing strip from a p2 car above the hinges of the tailgate. My car doesn’t have a sunroof. Passenger footwell soaked also. Anyone solved this?
Its likely to be your windscreen bond failing, at the top of the screen. Very common on P3 Volvo's - there's a sticky on page 1 of this forum. There are other causes of water ingress, like the OP's tale of woe, but your symptoms are classic windscreen bond failure so I'd look into that first.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote