Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 144 Boot Key. 1974.

Views : 760

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2021, 20:30   #1
blackrabbit

Default Volvo 144 Boot Key. 1974.

Hello
Could anyone advise me please.....
I need to source and then have cut a key for the boot on my 1974 Volvo 144.
Would anyone know as how this could be done?
Thank you.
blackrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 00:21   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Hello
Could anyone advise me please.....
I need to source and then have cut a key for the boot on my 1974 Volvo 144.
Would anyone know as how this could be done?
Thank you.
Are you able to remove the boot lock from the car? If so a good locksmith should be able to cut a key to the lock.

If memory serves, the door key and boot key are one and the same, only the ignition key was different - long time since i had a 1973 facelift 144 though so might be wrong.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 04:29   #3
blackrabbit

Default Volvo 144 Boot Key. 1974

Hello Dave
Thank you for your reply.
You are correct the door and boot key are the same on a late 144.
The problem is the keys were left in the ignition,to stop the steering lock engaging and at the moment I cannot open the doors to get them.
The boot is locked shut so I cannot remove the lock.Would you know if there is anyway a key could be cut from a chassis number/ lock number etc?

Many thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackrabbit For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:27   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello Dave
Thank you for your reply.
You are correct the door and boot key are the same on a late 144.
The problem is the keys were left in the ignition,to stop the steering lock engaging and at the moment I cannot open the doors to get them.
The boot is locked shut so I cannot remove the lock.Would you know if there is anyway a key could be cut from a chassis number/ lock number etc?

Many thanks.
I know a couple of years back when i enquired at my local parts dept, they could do it from the VIN, was about £30 if memory serves for the laser cut key on my 760 - hopefully yours should be cheaper than that though!

However there is a caveat - once the key has been cut, it can't be uncut so the key is yours. If the locks have been changed at any point in time you have a useless key and still can't get in.

Asking a possibly silly question, if the keys are in the ignition, how are you going to get them through the boot?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 7th, 2021, 17:06   #5
blackrabbit

Default Volvo 144 . Boot Key. 1974.

Hello Dave
Thank you for the info on the key.
The doors are unlocked but the car is pinned in so tight I cannot open them. Clearing a space around the car is not an option at the moment. Plus the windows are closed tight so no access that way
The need is to get into the boot to gain access to its contents. A replacement key seems the only option at the moment.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to blackrabbit For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2021, 17:39   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The doors are unlocked but the car is pinned in so tight I cannot open them.
You might not be able to open the doors but what about someone smaller and skiinier like a small child?

Kids can often get through amazingly small gaps that adults can't even think of getting through (i remember i used to get through some scarily narrow gaps as a kid) so if you can beg, buy, borrow or steal a kid (actually - NO!!!! Don't buy or steal one! ) that understands the mission of retrieving the keys you could be onto a winner!

Might cost you in terms of choclate, ice cream or similar ut it might be a solution?

Old May 7th, 2021, 18:54   #7
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Hello Dave
Thank you for the info on the key.
The doors are unlocked but the car is pinned in so tight I cannot open them. Clearing a space around the car is not an option at the moment. Plus the windows are closed tight so no access that way
The need is to get into the boot to gain access to its contents. A replacement key seems the only option at the moment.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
Quote:
The need is to get into the boot to gain access to its contents.
I am probably missing something in the interpretation; but, if gain access to its 'contents' means gaining access to the passenger compartment through the boot, I don't think that is going to happen.

I have a 1971 so it may be different than the 1974 on these details; but, on my 1971 142 two details prevent access to the passenger compartment from the boot. The first is the way the seat back is mounted you cannot get it to release from the boot. The second is that even if you could get the seat back out of the way there is a webbed X brace across the opening from the trunk into the passenger compartment. Even a small child would have trouble getting through the openings in that X brace.

I am having trouble picturing your situation - can't get in through the doors because of restricted access; but, you can presumable get access to the trunk? If you have have room behind the vehicle, give consideration to the possibility of jacking up the back of the car, placing the wheels on a set of vehicle dollys

https://www.amazon.ca/WEN-73017-Vehi...0409649&sr=8-6

and then pull / tow the car out from behind to access the doors.

I think the generate a key from the VIN is a feature that applies to more modern cars that have there VINs stored in electronic databases. Not to vintage cars where the company has gone through a couple of ownership changes. If you really do need to just get into the boot the option may be to drill out the lock cylinder. That won't be inexpensive; but, replacements used to be available.

I am still having trouble picturing the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" that results in this post. To bad that movie title has already been taken.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2021, 20:31   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've just had a thought and i'll probably be able to hear you swearing from here if i'm right - the boot has a turn-button release, have you tried it to find out if it's unlocked?