Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P0420 code

Views : 668

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 15:00   #1
mies123

Unhappy P0420 code

Hello!

My check engine light came on and after scanning it I got the lovely P0420 code (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold)

I don't believe my cat is shot because I haven't noticed any power loss or weird smells coming from the exhaust.

Could I be so lucky that I only have a bad o2 sensor?

I have reset the code twice but it seems to come on after driving 60 miles or so...

Thanks for all the suggestions in advance
mies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 19:15   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Hello ,first thing to ask is does your car only go on short journeys ? , If so I would suggest 30 -40 minutes driving at 60 MPH ( 100 KPH ) to burn off any built up deposits on matrix . I see this issue many times when performing an MOT test (an annual safety inspection in the UK , your equivalent is katsastus i think ) .

The increase in heat & gas flow should burn off any deposits on the matrix , allowing it to work more efficiently . If you have or know someone who has a dealer level scanner or similar , look at the signal pattern being generated . The waveform should change quickly & slightly , the tips of the waveforms are close together , failing sensors become deeper & farther apart as they fail to react quickly enough

Hope this helps
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 20:15   #3
mies123

The car is driven almost daily and the trips usually are about 30-40 minutes long with speeds over 60 mph.

I do not have access to a proper scanner to look into the o2 sensor wavelengths.

I have a parts car s40 2002 which I could use to get a spare catalytic converter from but I'm concerned if it fits the v40 exhaust or do I have to weld it in.
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 23:00   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

No idea if it's just a coincidence, but mine was throwing this code even after I changed the catalytic converter (it was knackered in my case, I already knew that) but I cleaned my maf and also my map sensor with contact cleaner, and I've not had the code come back in over 500 miles.
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 23:43   #5
mies123

I said earlier on this thread that I didn't have any weird smells coming from the exhaust but on a further inspection I'm noticing a smell of unburnt gas when coming to a stop for example on a stoplight.

Did you notice anything similar when you knew your cat was a goner?