Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

123GT--handbrake cable after rear end swap

Views : 1084

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2021, 13:52   #11
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Higher quality and much stronger axles are available as direct replacements that go a long way to reduce any breakages that might occur. Rallying would benefit most from fitting those. Redrilling the flanges back to the early PCD would, I think, severely compromise their strength in that area. I think they usually break where the spline meets the plain shaft? I've never actually seen one. Point taken about slightly easier servicing but that is more useful for competition where those with ocd might take everything apart after each event or at least with some regularity. Now days brakes are lucky to get checked every 10k miles. Normally if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Once again I stated the original axle shafts and brakes are ok for regular use - the weakness and breakage occurs for the most part when road racing on pavement.

I'm aware of the new replacement axles that are available, I don't believe that the alloy used in them will solve to problem in racing. The issue is the design which is prone to breakage under hard use. Not only on Volvo axles but those used by other manufacturers of the same type. Ford axles with the same construction suffer from the same breakage.

Re-drilling the flanges doesn't weaken them enough to cause a problem, as it is fairly common to drill extra holes in the flanges to lighten them for racing. I've never heard of or have seen any of these axles breaking at the splines or at the hub or flange. Dana the manufacturer changed the design to 28 smaller splines which leaves the the root diameter larger in that area larger than that on the early coarse-splined axles. However any axle is subject to breakage in this area when used for drag racing.

Last edited by Vintagewrench; May 16th, 2021 at 13:54.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2021, 19:58   #12
Vintagewrench

Derek, I posted this photo of a complete Dana 30 with a limited-slip diff that was used in a (US) SCCA regional championship winning 1967 1800s from '67 on to show you the effort that has been put into keeping axles from breaking here in the US. It has hubs that have been lengthened inward (the shiney area) to add support the axle all the way up to the bearing to prevent them from breaking in that spot. It uses standard Volvo hubs and has heavy-duty Ford taxicab brake drums.

I am considering selling this historic axle as a package probably next year if anyone in the US might be interested, it is located in Vermont.

Today racers and hi-performance enthusiasts use 1800E/ES axles that are the same width as the Amazon and P1800/1800s. Others use 140 series and 240 axles but both are wider.

I run the HVRRS - Historic Volvo Racing & Rally Society on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/groups/232999844689051/ A member started a post on broken Dana 27 axles recently and other members have responded. I've copy and pasted the question and replies below.

Loris Mariotto - Hi all. Where is the weak point on a spicer 27 diff for motorsport applications (circuit)? Is it the taper where the drum fits? Thanks.

Carl Helmetag - You’ll find out pretty quickly if you don’t keep the axle nuts tight.

(122S) Mike Wynosky - Yes I had one snap off in a race and watched the wheel pass me on the track

(544) Richard Reynolds - I almost rolled it when my wheel passed me on the track, mine broke a the key way, tryed custom made Ford axles, they also broke. Now have a 30 axle, the donor was 240, no problems with that combo.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post: