Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Purdy (warning long post)

Views : 2932

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 08:41   #1
Blue 8
Premier Member

Arrow Purdy (warning long post)

As a few of you know ive been out and about of late looking for a 855 T5 but after 2 months plus of searching we decided to stop for a multitude of reasons, mainly though none we see had been all that well looked after and would of really cost to bring back to the condition i like, properly a lot more than the car would ever be worth, plus to-date it has cost us over £300 in petrol lone driving around looking at sheds and we just cant afford that.

So here`s the deal , we are moving some time next year from our little terraced house to a semi house with a garage, as our home has only the two bedrooms and we now need a three bed, so we decided that what we would do is buy a 855 NA sell our 854 the reason for this is that we need an estate because of our dog plus the kiddies bikes the 854 we have now is a fantastic car but sadly just does not full fill our needs :-( and then once we have moved and have our garage we will buy the best we can afford 850/V "R" .

The story moves on.

Whilst searching though the net we came a cross a full history ed 855 GLT 2.5 20v Auto up for sell for a low price , the thing that draw us to it was simply the colour we both really liked the colour not even sure what its called lol i think is a Met light blue (Teal maybe?) only trouble was it was a 300 mile trip? but the car had a low asking price and we are not a loaded family and was going to use the money we have saved in our emergency fund, leaving what little bit of money we do have in the bank , so on the spur of the moment we did something that we never thought we would , we tossed a coin heads we would without even looking at the car we would take a chance and buy it drive the distance pay our money and bring her home, tails we would forget it and just look locally for a NA 855.

It was Heads, so yesterday at 3pm we set of me the wife and the two children to buy and bring home this car that we haven`t even seen and know very little about, really not knowing what to expect, 5hours later after being stuck in jam after jam we got there and there she was sitting on the fellas drive, and first impression was pleasantly pleased, ok its not Mint lol but we wasn`t expecting it to be, but with a little bit of time & TLC & help for you fellas it could be a really nice car again, the car looks to have spent most of its later life sitting, from what we can tell in the last 5/6 years its only covered about 1000 miles , moss in most of the rubbers, rear windows slow and tight, hinges stiff , that sort of thing, yet its had a full Volvo service every year , costs from £400 - £650 each time what did surprised us was the amount of history that come with her and the amount of money that has been ploughed into her , wads and wads or bills / service / and general items right back from day 1 as far as we can tell.

Anyways after the money change over, we were off time now 8:30pm me in the chuckle bus (854) and my wife in Purdy, how will she do ? its a long way home, well after about 100 miles of 80mph + driving and a 1/4 of an hour jam we stopped at a service`s so the little ones could use the toilet, so once parked over i go to the wife waiting to hear the verdict so far, no problems at all she said , no rattles no shakes, gear change smooth, and apart from the heater fans all seems to be working ok.

Rest over back on the road, at 1:45 am we`re now back home and Purdy did not miss a beat

After closer inspection this morning she is in need of a bit of TLC nothing major that i can see thus far, just time spent on cleaning / lubing moving parts / and fixing a few things that are broken.

Where i do need help is in finding a set of rear lights, for some reason the ones on the car have gone all hazy/stared and a milky white colour , so if any kind sole has a set and wants to drop me a pm please please do

The other thing is the heater fans , they only work on setting 4 which leads me to think that the resistor pack as packed up? so i need to source one of these as well, plus find out where it is located ?

I will also post up a thread in the wanted section as im sure there are many bits im going to be after for her , roof rails, rear spoiler Nooooooo only joking well at the moment anyways but there are im sure a few bits im going to need

As soon as i can i will post up some pics

Thanks for reading fellas

Andy

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy

Last edited by Blue 8; Jun 13th, 2009 at 09:09.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 09:07   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

First suggestion for the rear lights is E-bay, although i would also take a look at This web site for some replacements (normal and "style" types) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 09:16   #3
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
First suggestion for the rear lights is E-bay, although i would also take a look at This web site for some replacements (normal and "style" types) - Mike
Cheers for that Mike, but sadly much more than we can afford at the moment, if i cant source a set from any of the guys on here i`ll have a watch on Ebay

Ive even got a complete Stainless Steel engine dress up kit , which i will be posting up for sale soon, so maybe i can strike up a deal with someone for some bits and bobs that i need for that ? pics of it can be seen in my sig link below.

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:21   #4
saturnuranus
VOC Member

I just 'upgraded' to clear rear light's from a V70 so I have the two upper sections, but not the lower ones. You can have the top ones for just the cost of postage if ya like
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:22   #5
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnuranus View Post
I just 'upgraded' to clear rear light's from a V70 so I have the two upper sections, but not the lower ones. You can have the top ones for just the cost of postage if ya like
(Wife here x) thankyou very much, i`ll get Andy to pm you, he`s out playing with the new car at the moment ;-)

Lisa

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 16:16   #6
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnuranus View Post
Cheers fella

Upper lamps now sorted , big thanks to saturnuranus

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 16:26   #7
the alarming man
V.O.C MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Cheers fella

Upper lamps now sorted , big thanks to saturnuranus
come on what about the pics?????...you could do a before and after??
the alarming man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 19:13   #8
mario850
Vovlo lover

the fan speed selector problem is a pain to get to but easy to solve what you need to do is remover the glove box and behind it is a small blue(i think) relay and it is probably loose i had this proble on mine not long back but be warned the glove box is a to get out if its any thing like mine if the relay is shot then i have a spare which if you cover the postage you can have mate just have to remember where i put it now as i have loads of parts for the 855 like relays and switchs and oh a full interior as well lol

as for the lights i was told to try polishing them with tooth paste strange i now but its meant to work or a light metal polish
Past-> L Reg 945 2.0 HPT Wentworth.
mario850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 19:22   #9
the alarming man
V.O.C MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario850 View Post
the fan speed selector problem is a pain to get to but easy to solve what you need to do is remover the glove box and behind it is a small blue(i think) relay and it is probably loose i had this proble on mine not long back but be warned the glove box is a to get out if its any thing like mine if the relay is shot then i have a spare which if you cover the postage you can have mate just have to remember where i put it now as i have loads of parts for the 855 like relays and switchs and oh a full interior as well lol

as for the lights i was told to try polishing them with tooth paste strange i now but its meant to work or a light metal polish
funny you say that about tooth paste some one told me to do that with my lights...never did,although then saying that it works on teeth..lol:thumbs_up
the alarming man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 19:33   #10
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario850 View Post

Off to have a look now