Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem starting

Views : 1702

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2010, 22:07   #1
soares71

Default Problem starting

Hi all,

we have an intermittent problem with our '98 V70 2.0. The problem happens when we try to start the car: it is hard to start the car and when it starts the engine sounds as if it is flooded and eventually dies and does not start at all afterwards. This has occured three or four times over the last few months. When the car starts fine the car drives perfectly and shows no signs of this problem.

Today we have tried to start the car and got it running after many attempts. When we then drove around the block the engine sounded and felt as if it was flooded. At some point it turned off and we weren't able to start it again despite trying for almost 30 min. Any ideas what this could be? Your suggestions would be very much appreciated - thanks!
soares71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 13:50   #2
soares71

Anyone any ideas? Wife might have to go to hopital any minute now to pop so very bad timing not to have a car... many thanks!!

PS: Tried starting the car agan this morning but doesn't start at all.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 14:23   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Cars don't start for a range of reasons.

1. Wrong starting technique - driver floods engine by pumping gas pedal during starting.

2. Electrical faults - ignition related

3. Electrical faults - engine management systems related

4. Lack of fuel.

With a modern Volvo, the problem is more likely to be at the simple end of the scale.

Not sure what you mean by the engine 'sounding flooded'. Do you mean that the when the car does start it is clearly running on fewer than it's five cylinders? A truly flooded engine is usually caused by the driver (see 1 above), and there'll often be a strong smell of petrol. On the fuel side of things, the most likely culprits are a faulty fuel pump or a blocked filter, both of which will prevent fuel reaching the engine.

On the electrical ignition front, the most probable causes are worn out spark plugs, HT leads, rotor arm and distributor cap.

On the electrical management systems front, the most probable causes are a dodgy battery, a faulty engine sensor (there are a number, the precise details of which vary according to model), or a faulty ignition switch.

Apart from the non-starting are there any other symptoms or clues? Are any of the car's warning lights illuminated? When and by whom was the car last serviced?

If you're mechanically minded, get yourself a Haynes manual and service the ignition basics - it's cheap and easy to do. If not then join the AA or RAC - their patrols are very good at tracing basic ignition and fuel faults.

My gut feeling is for a fairly simple ignition fault that will be cured by a basic service.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 14:53   #4
soares71

Hi jack,

thanks for the comprehensive answer.

I also have a gut feeling it is an electrical problem. The only warning light that came on was the service light which came on on the same day we experienced this problem for the first time (coincidence?). That day the car started kind of ok but drove a bit 'rocky'. After about 3 miles on the highway it turned off when stopping at a traffic light and wouldn't turn on again for ca 45 minutes. Only when I disconnected and reconnected the battery it suddenly started again and it then drove fine. Now it sometimes drives quite 'rocky' for a few miles. When you then switch it off and restart it sometimes (quite often) is fine.

What I meant with 'sounded flooded' is that it drove as if it was - but there was no strong smell of petrol.

We bought the car last year and haven't serviced it since as we don't drive much, but according to docs we got from previous owner it was last serviced in 2007 and spark plugs were changed as part of this. Mileage then was 117 418 miles, now about 160 000. It was service by previous owner ever since it ws new at a Volvo garage.

I am quite enthusiastic mechanically and have done quite a few jobs around cars before. I also have the Haynes service/repair manual. I would therefore like to try as much as possible myself before I bring it to a garage. My problem is that I am not that good with technical terms/language.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 14:59   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

If your mileage figures are correct you have done 42,500 miles on a set of plugs, they should be changed every 30,000 so I would start with a new set of spark plugs before you go too far - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 15:33   #6
soares71

Default mileage

sorry. just double check again, the milage is 132K.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 21:13   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile Service intervals

These cars are supposed to be serviced every 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

If it hasn't seen a service in 3 years and 15,000 miles then that might go some way to explaining the problem.

Cars are designed to be used, and those that are only used infrequently and for shorter journeys need to be serviced just as much as their high-mileage brethren. Service items such as anti-freeze, oil, brake fluid, tyres, filters etc all deteriorate both with age and with use.

Volvos are hugely reliable, well-built quality cars, but they do need regular and appropriate service attention. Look after the car and it will look after you.

That the car seems to run well after you disconnected and reconnected the battery suggests some further investigation there is merited. The service reminder light is just that.........!

A full Volvo history is good, but the standard schedule doesn't include new HT leads, distributor cap or rotor. In my experience all these need to be replaced every 40 or 50 thousand miles.

If it's a pre-ETM car that is good. I'd highly recommend you dust off that Haynes book, take a toddle up to Halfords for some plugs, leads, a new rotor and dissy cap, an air filter, an oil filter and some decent 10/40 oil. If you don't fancy grubbing under the car many garages will do an oil change for you for £30 or £40. While you're at Halfords, they'll do a free battery and charging circuit test.

Congratulations on the imminent new arrival. You've got a great family car - do the family a favour and get it serviced!

Good luck

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jan 16th, 2010 at 21:17.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: