Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

there now saying theyve asked there solicitor (poor refurb)

Views : 1074

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:41   #1
Cypher007
Master Member

Default there now saying theyve asked there solicitor (poor refurb)

its getting uggly. the owner phoned up today asking who id got advice from and telling me he would be taking legal advice. hes saying that they had to buy in the paint special get the wheel spectrum analysed, and thats why it was £52.87 per wheel for front face only. but as i pointed out to him my friend already got quoted the above, he says well that would be for standard silver finish? hes now stopped work on the wheel he has until i tell him what i want to do. any ideas?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 17:03   #2
Cypher007
Master Member

Default RE: there now saying theyve asked there solicitor (poor refurb)

hes now refusing to give me back the one titan that hes currently got of mine. ive tried police and the tso and there about as useful as a chocolate teapot. the tso said its a police matter and the police say its a civil matter. the upshot of all this is im a titan down and dont know what to do. one option is to let the credit card people sort it but they wont get my titan back, and i think he knows this. how much are secondhand titans?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Old May 28th, 2004, 17:11   #3
spitdiss

go to your local CAB and ask for advice for a claim in the small claims court

take him to court for the total cost involved

prats like him do not normaly attend so you get a ruling in your favour by defalt

when he does not pay you get the court to send in the baliffs

small claims are set up for you to not involve solicitors so are user friendly and dont usaly use too much legal jargon so do not be afraid of his threat of counter suing with his solicitor as he would have to take you to the small claims to sue you !
Old May 28th, 2004, 18:04   #4
Billy Sasterd

Cypher,

In my own experience, people who say the have spoken to their solicitor, usually haven't. One of the greatest tools that I have ever used with disputes is a dictaphone or some other recording device. If you can get other people to ring or call in the shop and get quoted £45/whole wheel or whatever and record it, several times if possible.

Then go to the shop, preferably when it is full and ask that the wheels be done properly for free. If he then insists that he quoted you front's only, ask him why he has quoted several independent witnesses (who will appear on your behalf in court if necessary) why he has quoted full whell prices.

You will likely get a " you will have to prove it" response. Then just play him a little taster of your recording and tell him you are going to persue the matter in the county court. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have done this and it has never failed yet and has saved me many thousands of pounds.

The quickest result I got was with one pratt who knackered up my new computer (long story) during upgrade and it cost me nearly £600 to get it fixed properly. I kept calm at all times, recorded lots of his conversations and did just as I said above. Shop full of people, asked for payment (yet again) no response, told him I was going to court and handed him a letter stating that.

I asked him if all the customers in the shop knew he did not know much about computers and he was really a builder (as this was one conversation I had with him and he admitted his lack of expertise) I whipped out my dictaphone and played it in front of his customers and walked out of the shop (followed by a few bemused customers) and went home.

As I pulled up onto my drive, he pulled up behind me and I thought it was going to a fist fight (yes please!). He produced his cheque book and wrote out a cheque for the full amount and apologised unreservedly, despite several months of saying he was not resposible and willing to go to court. And this guy had just won entrepreneur of the year in Bolton. This was just one of many occasions when a tape recorder has proven more valuable than anything. I was once given a bill by a garage for nearly £2000 (Two Thousand) when I only owed £36 and the tape saved the day once again. Lovely!

Keep calm, be stealthy, record everything you can.

Good luck

Chris

Old May 28th, 2004, 19:05   #5
doorman

If you need to take court action, you can do it on line now, check out this site http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/ I used it and got a positive result.
Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 20:54   #6
Cypher007
Master Member

ive already got one friend to do this, and when i bought this up in the conversation he said that that quote was for a standard silver finish not the special colour i had, and also said they had to have it spectrum analysed to match it. but id supplied the colour code, which they said they couldnt cross reference? also this doesnt help with getting back my titan. maybe the performance section could hold a meeting there and show him what £45+vat gets you, and also worry other customers until he gives me back my titan and a refund. so how about it guys can ya help?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Old May 28th, 2004, 22:09   #7
Billy Sasterd

Well, if you want your Titan back, you will have to pay the price and argue the point later, but make sure you make it clear on any paperwork that you are paying under duress.

If you supplied the paint code, and he could not match or whatever, it is his duty to contact you before carrying out the work, and especially if the work will cost more than he told you at first.

Go right through the sequence of events with him:- does he agree you supply the paint code, ask him why he did not contact you etc. be very polite but make sure you get it on tape. You will be surprised how these people back down when they finally realise their game is up.

I have a s##t kitchen company who just very badly fitted a kitchen in my home and I have had to get my own contractors to do the job properly as they had refused to which has cost me £2000. They are claiming the contractor does not work for them and that I engaged the duff contractor myself, but guess what, I have the duff contractor on tape admitting that they contracted him, not me (which I obviously already knew).

The threatening letter for the court will be going out shortly from me, then I will let them hear a portion of the tape before they try to finally defend themselves in court (this has been ongoing since last October). Want to bet they don't go to court and will pay up???

If you know you are right, don't back down! Just treat it like a long game of patience.

Chris
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:56   #8
cootuk
Premier Member

What was the original contract for?...I know it's impossible to prove what was said verbally (unless recorded) so does he have any literature/pictures or published pricing structure?
Did he show you any examples of work he has done, that you could reasonably expect your Titans to be done the same standard?
These would help in a court case.
How much have you paid so far, and how much do you owe?

So he had to buy in the paint specially....tough for him. If you gave him a paint code and he agreed to that then surely that is his problem. If it involved extra work then he should have warned you and given you a choice if that would be seen as reasonable.

If it was me I'd maybe bite the bullet and pay just to get the alloys back. It would also mean he can't set debt collectors on to you (if he gets really arsy about it). Then I'd take him to the Small Claims Court. At this stage I wouldn't want him to touch the alloys again given his previous efforts.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:35   #9
Cypher007
Master Member

i dont think he has any literature, as when i asked for a business card he said hed run out? everything was verbal, ive paid £211.48 so far, and hes only got one titan at the mo which he says he was half way through when he got the letter i sent. he wants another £10+vat for each wheel. i accidentally cought the edge of one the other day with the volvo wheel wrench and it chipped off the edge of the paint :(. you can still see some kirbing through the paint, its that thin.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Old May 29th, 2004, 14:17   #10
cootuk
Premier Member

Shouldn't he have refurbed the cyrbing as well, or did you just ask for them to be overpainted?
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote