Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealer selling ex- "Volvocars uk employee scheme" v40

Views : 3599

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2015, 18:41   #1
danvan247

Default Dealer selling ex- "Volvocars uk employee scheme" v40

Hi,
Would that be a Volvo dealership dude thrashing 6000 miles out of a car registered 6 months ago or might it be a good deal (it's reasonably priced considering the extras) ?
Any experience of these gratefully received.
Thanks
danvan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 19:53   #2
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvan247 View Post
Hi,
Would that be a Volvo dealership dude thrashing 6000 miles out of a car registered 6 months ago or might it be a good deal (it's reasonably priced considering the extras) ?
Thanks
My S60 was bought like that and I haven't had any problems, now two years on. I got a great bargain as well.

In my opinion, if the price is right, go for it!
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 19:59   #3
danvan247

Smile

Thanks tickedon,
Good to hear. I guess with 2/3 of the warranty remaining that's a good thing and, yes, price looks really good , especially with extras I'd want anyway and it's the "right" colour (for me) ... and I was wrong - it's only got a couple of thousand miles under its belt.
I'm test driving at the weekend!
So excited not even watching the football...
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 21:39   #4
andymcp
Premier Member

I bought Mrs McP's V40 under the same conditions - part warranty left, low mileage, lots of extras, ex Volvo manager's car. Nothing amiss initially, although we did find out that one of the battery terminals was loose which caused some error messages and a recovery to dealer. But the main parts all work fine and it was a stonking bargain. Would buy the same again, no hesitation.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 23:51   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

This is very common practice and the way alot of dealers get there nearly new stock,

Its also a way of getting some pre registered cars out onto the market,

Dealers also run demos that are usually sold after 6 months,

There was talk of dealers running an insentive for employees to also run cars on like a sort of yearly lease thing a few years ago but it never went ahead altho believe it is common practice for alot of VAG dealers
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 03:41   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks
I have no idea what spec of car you are looking at, although I urge you to spec up a new car as you exactly want and fire off some emails to various dealers, once you get an idea of the discounts available for said spec, to see what a dealer can offer you on new. Whenever I buy anything high ticket, I know exactly what price I am happy with and simply offer that and do not budge. You will find a dealer somewhere that will play ball.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 17:07   #7
Fatlab

We have just picked up a 6 month old V40 XC T5 AWD with every extra fitted except the TV Tuner for £25,900 with only 5000 miles, that car was list at over £34,000 for the base car and £42,000 with all the extras.

It's an ex-management car apparently, the dealership said Volvo run closed auctions to off load their management and staff fleet hence why they get some very high specced cars.

At the end of the day we are really happy with the price as it is as new, perhaps we could have gotten a decent discount on a new one but even saving 2-3 grand was worth while as the boss will be running it for around 4 years.

Dave
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 18:00   #8
danvan247

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Now, I'll be honest and say that I am really not sure quite how to and how much I can haggle off the asking price without being laughed at( or will they do that anyway?!)

Do you reckon the dealer might drop by a £1000 or so on a car priced up at £25k or is their margin or whatever they call it so tight, ahem, that they won't budge that much?

I'll say that "I'll buy the car now if you make the price right " etc; the spec includes Xenium and other bits that would probably make the total cost (if you bought it new through online broker deal) about £33k
It' s the sapphire t5 in Eastbourne btw
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 21:33   #9
Fatlab

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Now, I'll be honest and say that I am really not sure quite how to and how much I can haggle off the asking price without being laughed at( or will they do that anyway?!)

Do you reckon the dealer might drop by a £1000 or so on a car priced up at £25k or is their margin or whatever they call it so tight, ahem, that they won't budge that much?

I'll say that "I'll buy the car now if you make the price right " etc; the spec includes Xenium and other bits that would probably make the total cost (if you bought it new through online broker deal) about £33k
It' s the sapphire t5 in Eastbourne btw
I guess the answer is 'it depends'. They will try and push Diamonbrite/Supaguard at around £350, GAP insurance at £399 both of which are big margin items for them. Similarly if you finance through them they will get a kick back.

I just went with a straight cash purchase, no PX, no extras and got a few quid off but there wasn't a grand on the table. Had it been the 2.5l T5 with the 6 speed box you were discussing you might be in with a shout but the new engine is quite desireable as far as the T5s go.
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 08:40   #10
HeliTV

Small word of warning. Volvo have a number of fleet buyback deals and some of these are with daily rental companies like enterprise. Now there should be no problem buying an ex daily rental these days, but it should be described as such. Worth checking the log book ERAC ltd is enterprise rent-a-car! Some dealers have been know to describe these as ex Volvo management cars.

How do I know - I bought one without knowing. When I found out, the main dealer was very reasonable and offered to replace it. I liked the car so ended up with a free extended warranty and free servicing...
HeliTV is offline   Reply With Quote