Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 644724

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2022, 06:37   #501
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
As a bit of a giggle, I suggest Alan uses the Cottingham Road out of Corby as the level, straight, road to test the accuracy of the speedo against the GPS. By the time he reaches Wilbarston he will have a very accurate reading. Return home via the Welland valley and approach Corby via Rockingham hill - that would give a good comparison between driving on a level road versus a steep gradient.
Wonderful. The hill at Rockingham Castle has a 12% slope - I cycle up it occasionally, by the time I get to the sign the world has gone into reverse as I fight against gravity so I have plenty of time to read it!

The hill wouldn't make much difference to most GPS receivers though. Generally they will be set up to measure the slope distance (and measure the z coordinate by triangulation to the constellation) rather than the distance over the geoid.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 21st, 2022 at 06:40. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 17:05   #502
Othen
Premier Member

Default Amazon Driving Attire

... almost the correct attire for driving an Amazon (I should be wearing a collar and tie of course):

:-)
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 17:24   #503
Snow White

Default Fedora Style

You should be in a period detective drama! So typical and totally appropriate. Is that David Bailey working around here again?
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 17:52   #504
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Very smart, Alan! Why not go all the way and make it a Dickie Bow? Eat your heart out, Morse! J.
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 13:30   #505
Splinelube

[ ]Very smart, Alan! Why not go all the way and make it a Dickie Bow? Eat your heart out, Morse! J.[/QUOTE]

Is it not unfortunate that Morse had to settle for a Jag?
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Splinelube For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 13:56   #506
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinelube View Post
[ ]Very smart, Alan! Why not go all the way and make it a Dickie Bow? Eat your heart out, Morse! J.
Is it not unfortunate that Morse had to settle for a Jag?[/QUOTE]

It depends which side of the steering wheel you are. For Morse, he wouldn't have had anything but a Mk2 Jag, anything else wouldn't have been quintessentially British in his view. Also it was one of the fastest (if not the fastest) mass produced cars of its time, ideal for chasing the bad guys (usually also in a Mk2 Jag because they were fast back then) who chose it for the "pace, grace and space" - pace to outrun the rozzers, grace to hold the road and outdrive them and space to hold the loot and a few shooters incase things got a bit heavy.

Perhaps if Morse was Swedish he might have had a 123GT instead or maybe a P1800 but that had already been associated with Simon Templar aka "The Saint" but which also metamorphisised into a Jag XJ-S in the "Return of the Saint".

Then again, the actor who played Morse was seen ~10-15 years earlier hoofing round the streets of London in a Granada in a different detective series so who knows?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 14:42   #507
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

There is an apocryphal tale that the TV company first approached Jaguar for the use of an 'E' Type when planning the first series of 'The Saint'. Jaguar, thinking that they had little need of the product placement, declined, whereupon they approached Volvo, who were more than happy to provide the P1800. The Saint has since been linked inexorably with the latter car, and Jaguar missed an invaluable opportunity. The provision of an XJS was a belated attempt to redress the balance, but with limited success.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 15:36   #508
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
There is an apocryphal tale that the TV company first approached Jaguar for the use of an 'E' Type when planning the first series of 'The Saint'. Jaguar, thinking that they had little need of the product placement, declined, whereupon they approached Volvo, who were more than happy to provide the P1800. The Saint has since been linked inexorably with the latter car, and Jaguar missed an invaluable opportunity. The provision of an XJS was a belated attempt to redress the balance, but with limited success.

Regards, John.
I've heard that one as told by Roger Moore and he bought one of the first P1800s used in the series and kept it. There was a TV program a few years ago interviewing him and this was mentioned.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 18:49   #509
Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've heard that one as told by Roger Moore and he bought one of the first P1800s used in the series and kept it. There was a TV program a few years ago interviewing him and this was mentioned.

This is true, The Producer of ‘The Saint’ tried to get a Jaguar but they couldn’t supply any for a couple of months and a car was needed within a week for the filming schedule .
When an alternative car was sought the Producer said “His heart skipped a beat, when he saw the P1800.” ( An emotion I can quite relate to!).
The P1800 was bought, at full price, from the Volvo London Agency and within days filming commenced within the week.
Roger Moore was so enamoured with the P1800 he kept them as his personal cars for many years. All, of course, had a halo! 😇

Last edited by Snow White; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 19:01.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 19:30   #510
Splinelube

Roger Moore must have been quite a high class - not socially - straight forward individual. I have viewed many many of his interviews from both side of the Atlantic and in not one instance did he indicate a leschievious (sp?) lifestyle unlike so many others. He had and has my respect.
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Splinelube For This Useful Post: