Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 steering column replacement

Views : 3450

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2014, 03:13   #1
SwedeXC90

Default XC90 steering column replacement

Hi there, thought I would see if anyone out there has had a similar issue with their steering rack falling apart. My 2008 XC90 D5 developed a clunking & squeaking noise when turning a corner the other day which got worse until a loud cracking noise came out of the steering column which then resulted in the steering wheel flopping about. A quick search on the net found that a common problem with Volvo's is their steering wheels coming loose so my initial thoughts was this is what had happened. Upon closer inspection after taking the shrouds and plastic mouldings revealed a nasty problem that is going to be both expensive and a pain in the proverbial to fix.

It seems the bottom bearing in the steering column has disintegrated resulting the shaft flopping about in the outer tube. The tell tale sign was the PLASTIC bearing cage and tiny ball bearings that feel into my hand when I removed the plastic cover. Frankly I am appalled that this has and can happen to a car that is 7 years old and never been in an accident and that cost $80k AUD new. Seriously, how can the bearings fall apart in a car that has only done 130,000 km's?

Anyway, not a hit on the web about this problem suggests that it is not common, unlike the loose steering wheel (how on the earth can this be a common problem?) so I guess I am going to have to work it out on my own. Only a mere $2,000 from Volvo for a new steering rack so I am going to hunt around for a wrecking XC90 and see if I can get one that way. It looks relatively easy to remove and replace so might save a few bucks doing this myself although I may not have the luxury of time so potentially off to my Volvo mechanic to fit.

My diagnosis of how this steering column issue occurred extends back to when I bought the car at 100,000km's when it had a terrible (and common by reading heaps of similar posts) vibration through the steering wheel and cabin of the car. Being a diesel it is a bit lumpy but this was different - so I started to look into it. The journey of replacing every single mount in the car started - replaced the easy ones first (top torque mount) then the bottom one, then the front pneumatic (round) one, then the right had side mount (one under the crank pulley) and the vibration was still there - actually worse. Then, with one mount to go I tried myself for 3 hours to replace the rear pneumatic (round) engine mount under the turbo. Just not possible without all sorts of equipment I didn't have so 3.5 hours of labour at the mechanic later it was done. I made sure I bought an aftermarket Bilstein mount, not a genuine Volvo one. Well, it had to be the hardest mount to change on any car I had ever seen but wow, the difference was amazing. Instantly the car was smooth again and it changed the way the whole car drove. The reason was the original mount had sagged so much the engine/gearbox had slumped down on its stoppers transferring every bit of engine vibration through the chassis.
So, getting back to the steering column bearing failure - I think a few years of this vibration had slowly smashed the plastic bearing cage and destroyed the bearing which just fell apart. That's my thoughts anyway.

So, have to find a new column and get it fitted so will let you know how I go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo xc90 Steeirng column failure #3.JPG (58.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo xc90 Steeirng column failure #1.JPG (26.5 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by SwedeXC90; Oct 18th, 2014 at 03:24.
SwedeXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SwedeXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 20:49   #2
GJB
Premier Member

Frankly I am appalled that this has and can happen to a car that is 7 years old and never been in an accident and that cost $80k AUD new. Seriously, how can the bearings fall apart in a car that has only done 130,000 km's?

You appear to have answered your own question nothing wrong with the design or construction of the column it was abuse from not dealing with the engine mounts when they required replacing(A real case of a stich in time saves nine)
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 00:16   #3
diro

I was in the same boat when i have bought mine last year. All engine pads been replaced. Steering rack was lose as well. Still works. Later dpf removal, egr off and than remap. After 6 months owning a car - DMF and clutch replacement. Clutch started slippering. Decided to replace the whole kit but I think it was not necessary because clutch kit was replaced before with the previuos car owner but mechanic did not good job enough. He fitted a clutch as normal instead of using special tool to reset a clutch and compress the spings before assembly the whole thing. I still could use old clutch simply resetting it and put back. But new kit was waiting to be fitted. Not happy with the new kit anyway. After some time pedal vibration developped. Suspect new LUK DMF. wish i bought SACHS

Last edited by diro; Oct 20th, 2014 at 00:20.
diro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 11:38   #4
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Ive just replaced the bearing on mine....

symptoms where hands on 12-6 9-3 and i had movement side to side. No moment pulling the steering wheel toward me, just rocking side to side.

Pig getting the air bag off, but one that was off, I replaced the bearing from a local supplier. Steering has not a bit of vibration thru it now, at all.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 16:21   #5
Andree79

hi , how did you solve the problem with the steering column ? Did you just change the bearing or the whole steering column ?
Andree79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 04:29   #6
kwahodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeXC90 View Post
Hi there, thought I would see if anyone out there has had a similar issue with their steering rack falling apart. My 2008 XC90 D5 developed a clunking & squeaking noise when turning a corner the other day which got worse until a loud cracking noise came out of the steering column which then resulted in the steering wheel flopping about. A quick search on the net found that a common problem with Volvo's is their steering wheels coming loose so my initial thoughts was this is what had happened. Upon closer inspection after taking the shrouds and plastic mouldings revealed a nasty problem that is going to be both expensive and a pain in the proverbial to fix.

It seems the bottom bearing in the steering column has disintegrated resulting the shaft flopping about in the outer tube. The tell tale sign was the PLASTIC bearing cage and tiny ball bearings that feel into my hand when I removed the plastic cover. Frankly I am appalled that this has and can happen to a car that is 7 years old and never been in an accident and that cost $80k AUD new. Seriously, how can the bearings fall apart in a car that has only done 130,000 km's?

Anyway, not a hit on the web about this problem suggests that it is not common, unlike the loose steering wheel (how on the earth can this be a common problem?) so I guess I am going to have to work it out on my own. Only a mere $2,000 from Volvo for a new steering rack so I am going to hunt around for a wrecking XC90 and see if I can get one that way. It looks relatively easy to remove and replace so might save a few bucks doing this myself although I may not have the luxury of time so potentially off to my Volvo mechanic to fit.

My diagnosis of how this steering column issue occurred extends back to when I bought the car at 100,000km's when it had a terrible (and common by reading heaps of similar posts) vibration through the steering wheel and cabin of the car. Being a diesel it is a bit lumpy but this was different - so I started to look into it. The journey of replacing every single mount in the car started - replaced the easy ones first (top torque mount) then the bottom one, then the front pneumatic (round) one, then the right had side mount (one under the crank pulley) and the vibration was still there - actually worse. Then, with one mount to go I tried myself for 3 hours to replace the rear pneumatic (round) engine mount under the turbo. Just not possible without all sorts of equipment I didn't have so 3.5 hours of labour at the mechanic later it was done. I made sure I bought an aftermarket Bilstein mount, not a genuine Volvo one. Well, it had to be the hardest mount to change on any car I had ever seen but wow, the difference was amazing. Instantly the car was smooth again and it changed the way the whole car drove. The reason was the original mount had sagged so much the engine/gearbox had slumped down on its stoppers transferring every bit of engine vibration through the chassis.
So, getting back to the steering column bearing failure - I think a few years of this vibration had slowly smashed the plastic bearing cage and destroyed the bearing which just fell apart. That's my thoughts anyway.

So, have to find a new column and get it fitted so will let you know how I go.
Hey @SwedeXC90, I know I'm responding to a very old post, however, did you ever get this resolved? Did you have to change the column and if you did, how hard/easy was it? I have the exact same issue with my 2006 XC90. Previous owner had aftermarket engine mounts and the car has always had some vibration since we got it. Im replacing the mounts with OEM ones but the steering wheel is really squeaky at slow turns and found some small ball bearings on the footwell.
Cheers!
Steve
kwahodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 10:01   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

OP was last online 6 months ago - he will not have read your question.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering column, vibration