Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration at speed

Views : 1228

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2021, 22:38   #1
Lerichard

Default Vibration at speed

I am currently chasing the cause of a vibration at speed in my V70.

The car is a 2005 2.4D 163 E3 with the 5sp Geartronic auto, fwd. 121k on the clock.

The car's vibration presents similar to that of an out-of-balance or buckled wheel. It becomes noticeable around 35-40mph and at its most abrupt at 75mph. It is felt mostly through the steering wheel but throughout the car generally, making it unpleasant to drive and uncomfortable to ride it. It is dependent on road speed, not engine speed, most obviously under throttle load but also present on light throttle/overrun/braking.

I found that a couple of the alloys (Orestes 17") were buckled so were replaced and the whole set re-balanced, but the issue persisted. Unfortunately this wheel swapping has resulted in 4 different tyres (which I hate) but at least all are in good condition.

Subsequent research pointed to driveshafts and tired bushes as potential causes, so I have had replaced both front wishbones (which were original and tired) with Lemforder replacements, and both driveshafts with new SKF items. Frustratingly this hasn't sorted the issue.

I recently replaced the lower engine torque mount as the inner bush was shot, but no improvement resulted. The top engine mount has a bit of play, so may get replaced at some point. The 3 main mounts appear OK from my limited inspection.The engine itself is a peach so I suspect no issue there.

I'm less trusting of the gearbox since becoming increasingly aware of the AW55-50's fragility since buying the car. On the move there are no issues with the box - it shifts smoothly enough with no odd behaviour. When shifting between PRND at standstill there's some vibration when engaging gear but nothing I would deem excessive given the car's mileage. There is a very slight delay in the box engaging drive when pulling away after sitting stationary with the footbrake applied, and being too hasty results in a thud. I understand the box drops itself into neutral when stationary so suspect this is a quirk rather than an issue.

Incidentally, I recently carried out an autobox fluid change - the deposited fluid wasn't excessively dark or burnt-smelling and there was no swarf on the plug. The fluid level before and after have been measured as correct via the dipstick.

So I've reached a bit of an impasse. I can't help but suspect a gearbox/diff issue as I'm running out of ideas. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Lerichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:03   #2
Bashy
Aged Member

The speeds you mention suggest wheel balance to me, starting around 40 and peaking around 70, mines more noticeable through my phone holder as its quite mild so i have exactly the same issue and it started after a pothole or 4, i am yet to get them balanced, prob get sorted at the end of the week.
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:46   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

what was it that caused the buckling of the original wheels, do you know? or which wheels they were

makes me wonder if anything else was damaged at the same time

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 14:07   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Inspect the tie rod ends as they do wear.

My '07 V70 base runs fine but the original dealership did replace ONE TIE ROD END during the 70K the OO owned it.

Also, my V70 has its original struts. They are making noise and 115K+ is more than enough distance for them to wear out.

I have near me a stretch of road which is wavy perpendicularly to the direction of travel. Any car I've owned will do the "rhythmic wobble" on it. My '02 was in good shape and it'd wobble there too. As the '02 aged the wobble worsened.
New struts fixed the problem.

I know this doesn't prove anything but struts seem to get overlooked.

There are people who put struts on the same pedestal as their dear Mum's home cooking. By that I mean they defend struts as a super part which must last 200K and beyond. Seriously, on one board a poster insisted struts HAD to last well over 150K even though the job I was about to do (and had posted on myself) involved one badly leaking strut. It was time to do both, NO QUESTION.

Worn shocks and struts allow little bumps to repeat rhythmically.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 21:43   #5
Lerichard

Thanks for the responses so far.

Since posting I have had a four wheel alignment check and adjustment carried out. I was told the front wheels were both toeing in which has been corrected. No significant adjustment to the rear required. The upshot was a marked improvement on the car's steering and stability but no change to the vibration.

I've bought another set of wheels which will soon be fitted once I've given them a refresh. They are a 16" 5-spoke design from a basic S60 and look nice and straight. As well as perhaps solving my vibration issue, I'm anticipating an improvement to the ride quality which I find very disappointing for a big luxo-barge.

My mechanic has suggested using a DTI to check the discs and hub flanges are all true if the change of wheels yields no improvement.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 06:54   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Lift each of the 4 wheels one at a time and grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock and "pull-push" with some force. See if there is any play. It may be wheel bearing or tie rods (on front wheels). Another test if you can lift the car, grab the inner left CV joint near the transmission and see if it wobbles inside the transmission. This would be a carrier bearing. Also may keep in mind that not all garages balance the wheels correctly, may try another place. A unballanced rear wheel will cause chassis vibrations, front ones steering vibrations. May be a combination of the two, of course. For the hub flanges, if there is any slight bent non visible to the eye - usually if someone hit with a hammer trying to remove the wheel bearing, the wheel lugs will loosen up while driving, so you will know it.

Side note, I had a situation when there was rust on the tire belt (from an old rim), a mechanic cleaned this rust which dropped inside the tire, the tire was then mounted with the rust bits inside - could hear this by rolling the tire on the ground. It was impossible to balance on an electronic machine

Last edited by oragex; May 23rd, 2021 at 06:58.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:59   #7
SimonTh

I had the same issue on my previous S60 D5 I change wheels and various

suspension parts on the front suspension and also auto gearbox oil changes.

I eventually found the cause and it was a sticking front brake caliper.

Replaced both front calipers vibration had gone.

Hope this helps.
SimonTh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SimonTh For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2021, 20:45   #8
Lerichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTh View Post
I had the same issue on my previous S60 D5 I change wheels and various

suspension parts on the front suspension and also auto gearbox oil changes.

I eventually found the cause and it was a sticking front brake caliper.

Replaced both front calipers vibration had gone.

Hope this helps.
The car had a new front caliper about 18 months ago, before I bought the car. There's no suggestion of the discs being changed in the paperwork however. None of the usual signs of sticking caliper are presenting themselves (they did before I replaced a rear caliper for this reason), however it is something I'm keeping in mind, as well as warped discs.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 21:06   #9
Lerichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Lift each of the 4 wheels one at a time and grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock and "pull-push" with some force. See if there is any play. It may be wheel bearing or tie rods (on front wheels). Another test if you can lift the car, grab the inner left CV joint near the transmission and see if it wobbles inside the transmission. This would be a carrier bearing. Also may keep in mind that not all garages balance the wheels correctly, may try another place. A unballanced rear wheel will cause chassis vibrations, front ones steering vibrations. May be a combination of the two, of course. For the hub flanges, if there is any slight bent non visible to the eye - usually if someone hit with a hammer trying to remove the wheel bearing, the wheel lugs will loosen up while driving, so you will know it.
The usual 'rock the wheel at 9-3 and 12-6' bearing checks have been carried out already and yielded no suspect results.
I noticed today while out driving the car makes a metallic scuffing sound while going round tight-ish right hand corners. I recognised the noise as one I've heard previously but had dismissed as the tyre catching the arch liner or something. But now I'm thinking it's something more sinister, as noises presenting like that can be wheel bearing-related, so this will elicit some further investigation.

Tags
vibration