Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 s40 vibrating at speeds 30+ and upon accelerating

Views : 962

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2019, 21:38   #1
spluberry

Default 2009 s40 vibrating at speeds 30+ and upon accelerating

I have a 2009 s40 that has appx 120,000 miles on it--and I love it dearly. One of my wheel rims was cracked on the inside, which I got fixed a week ago (welding). It also is bent in two places. Unbeknownst to me, I should have gotten my wheels balanced and rotated when the tire was put back on).

Two days later, I was on a 7 hour road trip, and 2/3 of the way there, my car started to shake at high speeds. By the end, I could barely go above 55 without the car vibrating like crazy.

Now it is shaking upon acceleration as well as at 30mph and over.

I took it to the dealership today, and they diagnosed the problem as the following:
--front axles have excessive play
--front control arms are allowing excessive movement
--I need new tires (which I don't--not yet at least).

My car was not shaking like this until the fixed wheel was put on a few days ago. That's the only thing that has changed.

My question is this: is the dealership taking me for a ride? Wouldn't I have felt the front axles/control arms wearing out gradually instead of all of a sudden?

Would a new wheel/rim and balancing fix the vibration?

The estimate was about $4000 to do repairs + tires.

Thanks for any advice and help about this!
spluberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 23:28   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by spluberry View Post
I have a 2009 s40 that has appx 120,000 miles on it--and I love it dearly. One of my wheel rims was cracked on the inside, which I got fixed a week ago (welding). It also is bent in two places. Unbeknownst to me, I should have gotten my wheels balanced and rotated when the tire was put back on).

Two days later, I was on a 7 hour road trip, and 2/3 of the way there, my car started to shake at high speeds. By the end, I could barely go above 55 without the car vibrating like crazy.

Now it is shaking upon acceleration as well as at 30mph and over.

I took it to the dealership today, and they diagnosed the problem as the following:
--front axles have excessive play
--front control arms are allowing excessive movement
--I need new tires (which I don't--not yet at least).

My car was not shaking like this until the fixed wheel was put on a few days ago. That's the only thing that has changed.

My question is this: is the dealership taking me for a ride? Wouldn't I have felt the front axles/control arms wearing out gradually instead of all of a sudden?

Would a new wheel/rim and balancing fix the vibration?

The estimate was about $4000 to do repairs + tires.

Thanks for any advice and help about this!
lower control arms barely last 80k miles so if not been done before they almost certainly need doing. you can diagnose them visually and see the damaged bushing or when sharply hitting breaks you will feel the slight clunk as the car dives, and the bushing shifts. So most likely the garage is telling truth. In UK the arms are £75-£120 each plus fittting. 30 mins per side for an experienced mechanic. you WILL need an alignment after regardless what garage says.

drive shafts (axles) are also an iasue on these cars. they cause vibration under acceleration 40-70mph usually if the vibration starts to go away as you press through 70mph this means its likely driveshafts.

a buckled wheel will give terrible vibration and could damage the bearing and I suppose the axle if you drove a long way with a badly buckled wheel.

Volvo driveshafts will be several hundred dolars each and the after market ones are terrible.

If it was me I would go to a trusted garage. remove wheels have them checked for balance, buckles, damage and make sure tyres are true and round. This will be cheap (£40 for all 4 in uk). if all okay and no difference, then it could be what the garage says.

The other source of terrible vibration is the engine mounts. there are 3. one on ledt engine bay (prone to faliure). search youtube for focus mk2 engine mount vibration. this will show you how to check if this is the same issue you have. the s40 is basically the same car as the ford focus. if this is the issue, the u are lucky, cheapish to rectify.

good luck
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 10:11   #3
MDS40

Put the spare wheel on and go for a test drive.
That will prove it one way or the other.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 12:59   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

I'd just check that all the wheel nuts are correctly tightened up too.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 23:49   #5
12V50D3Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post

drive shafts (axles) are also an iasue on these cars. they cause vibration under acceleration 40-70mph usually if the vibration starts to go away as you press through 70mph this means its likely driveshafts.

good luck
This describes the issue im having perfectly, would driveshafts be easily diagnosed.. would a driveshaft from a focus st fit? As I have access to one in a breakers yard.
12V50D3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 00:55   #6
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12V50D3Auto View Post
This describes the issue im having perfectly, would driveshafts be easily diagnosed.. would a driveshaft from a focus st fit? As I have access to one in a breakers yard.
sometimes when you get under the car the cv boots are perished and you can see wear/play in the drive shaft, but not always for sure. Usually if the weels are all good, tyres are all good and bearings are all good (all easily checked) all thats left is the driveshafts. I think the focus ones may fit, but you will need to scour the forum/internet to match part numbers to be sure. You may need to do drive shaft oil seals on gear box at same time so have this incase. Oh and the axle bolts are single use, so get those too. Ive read its tricky figuring out which side axle is bad which complicates things.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 10:17   #7
sda2489

Oddly enough I have had the same problems, which I have just recently fixed. It took me one nearside second hand drive shaft and two brand new driveshafts (offside and nearside) to fix.

I believe in the end, it was the inner CV joint on the offside that was causing the horrendous vibrations under acceleration. The front end of the car would shake from side to side like you wouldn't believe.

I chose to buy aftermarket ones, they seem to be ok, time will tell. I didn't fancy shelling out several £100s, not knowing if it would actually fix the issue.

Lower arms are next of my list as they are getting tired too...

Si
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:17   #8
12V50D3Auto

I've had the cv boots replaced alright I don't know how long they were gone as I just bought the car recently and it was the first job I did.

For thread.

v50 D3 auto driveshaft p/n 36001449 drivers 440 euro and 36001461 passager 370 euro. Pricey enough from main dealer.
12V50D3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acceleration problem, s40, vibration, wheel rim