Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instrument Cluster Fault & Button Lighting

Views : 10366

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 19:46   #1
shaks

Default Instrument Cluster Fault & Button Lighting

Hi

I have two faults on my S60 D5 S 2002.
Since I bought my car bout 3 months ago my insturment cluster has had this fault:
1. The time clock keeps running backwards or forwards nearly all the time. Sometimes it starts working ok and I can set the time but other times you jest can't set it. It acts as if smebody is turning the button.
2. The trip counter doesn't work properly most of the time. It doesn't allow switching between T1 and T2 and zeroes itself regularly. if i press the button to switch between t1 and t2 it sometimes goes to zero instead and somtimes does nothing.
3. The parking brake light and seatbelt light in the instrument cluster don't come on when the brake is on and seatbelts are off most of the time. The lights all come on when the ignition is switched on but don't correctly show the parking brake is on.
All these problems sometimes go away. I have also found that pressing on the instrument cluster inbetween the two small displays then everthing sometimes starts working ok!! all the lights come on as they should and the time stops running back. It's as if there is a loose connection somewhere.
Any ideas?

One other problem I have is that the AC and air recirculate button in the climate control panel don't illuminate as if the bulb is out. Can these bulbs be changed and if so how?
shaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 20:35   #2
shaks

I managed to replace the bulb behind the ac/recirculate buttons but had no luck with the dim. Tried to take apart as it seems to be a bad connection/solder joint somewhere as it starts working sometimes but gave that up when i nearly wrecked the fuel guage.
Volvo want to diagnose the dash but will this help as I beleive the problem is physical. Why else would the problem temporarily go away when I poke bits of it?
Anybody know anybody near yorkshire who would either be able to supply a DIM cheaply or fix what I've got? Dealers want about 650 for the part + 34 for software + labour for programming. I told them I would fit myself on their site but I can't leave till it's programmed! but I don't want to pa about 750 for a slight fault. Why can't they make second hand dim's repgrommable to another car!!!
Shaks
shaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:51   #3
cphill22

Default Same Problem

I too have the same problem with an erratic clock and odometer T1 and T2, plus an additional bleep every now and again. As yet I have not made any progress resolving the problem either, and would be grateful if any one has any ideas how to fix!
cphill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 14:47   #4
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphill22 View Post
I too have the same problem with an erratic clock and odometer T1 and T2, plus an additional bleep every now and again. As yet I have not made any progress resolving the problem either, and would be grateful if any one has any ideas how to fix!
Remove the dash & resolder everything, even the joints that look ok ! that will cure it.
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 20:49   #5
jiffy176

I am having the same problem does anyone know anywhere that can fix this as I do not trust myself to remove the dash and solder.

Cheers
jiffy176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 22:24   #6
chrisg147

If you search 'dash failure' or 'dim failure' on here there are lots of posts with names mentioned of people who can fix. I have different symptoms but same root cause. I contacted http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/ who said:

"The total cost of the repair is £249 plus VAT delivery included. We only offer a full rebuild of the cluster as it has too many common faults. You can visit the workshop for repair, repair time 2.5 hours, removal and refit is plus £30 plus VAT"

that icludes a 2yr warranty btw

Going to get a second quote from local indie

Last edited by chrisg147; Mar 6th, 2009 at 22:25. Reason: added the bit about the warranty
chrisg147 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisg147 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 14:46   #7
jiffy176

Just had a look at the site and am awaiting a quote back from them.
For those that haven't done it removing the dash is really easy as I have had a got at it.
You need a set of star keys on a fairly long extender and a blunt plastic pointed implement.

First off to prevent the ABS warning light coming on which sometimes it does or doesnt disconnect the battery, then lower the steering wheel to the lower most position.

Slide the plastic tool in around the end of the black dash surround starting at the top and you will feel the trim pull away. once all of the top is loose, the surround is connected to the top of the steering column cowling. Use the plastic tool to slide between the two halves of the cowling so they separate. Once apart lift the front part of the top cowling as clear as you can from the bottom half. Now back to the surround and continue working your way around until the surround comes loose. Once it is all loose it is just a case of holding the cowling top half and the surround and wiggling them out.

Once the surround is out then use the star key and remove the 4 screws holding the DIM in.
Be careful with the top ones, not to drop down the dash.
Once the screws are out just slide the DIM out nice and steady toward you. Once out disconnect the green connector at the rear and you are done.

Install is a simple reverse of the above.

Takes about 5 mins to do.

Hope this might help someone

Jiff.
jiffy176 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jiffy176 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 23:04   #8
anthony3535

Hello, bought s60 yesterday all appeared v good, during the last jaunt, just a few hours ago on unlit roads, the instrument panel went completely black then came back on, and then a few miles later off again and has stayed off. Upsetting to say the least, the car drives great and looks in excellent condition. I noticed yester day when driving in the dark that the high beam light did not show imediately the high beam was switched on, it took about 2 seconds. It is a 2002 s60 d5 with 96k on it. I have been reading the net on this 'common problem'. Anyone delt with the rebuilders of these cluster / consoles i.e. Cluster Repair UK? If so are the any good?

Tony
anthony3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 20:48   #9
anthony3535

I contacted Cluster Repairs by phone on Monday, the lady on the phone was polite and said a tecy would phone me back on Tuesday afternoon. No one phoned. So I i'll probably leave the company alone as I feel this is a bad start. I spoke to my mechanic, he said that there is a firm in Manchester that do this work, I'm dropping the car off with him this Friday and he will explore further. I'll let you know how it goes. Car still running great despite flashing console, it comes to life occasionally! Has anyone had experience with the company Cluster Repair?
anthony3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 13:37   #10
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Have a read of this thread in particular the last page.

I have the exact same problem and I'm working my way through it at the mo

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53380