Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 or V60

Views : 1138

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread : tomsteetley

Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 10:47   #11
tomsteetley

Ok so I'm now feeling fairly certain I have my heart set on a V60 diesel automatic D4 2014-2016

From time to time I have to drive down long bumpy farm tracks visiting clients. With this in mind should I keep clear of the Rdesign? Does anyone have experience driving both the standard and Rdesign? As much as I like the look of the Rdesign I'm thinking maybe I should stick with the standard for comfort. Probably less chance of the rims getting curbed as my wife gets to grips with driving (she's got her test coming up)
tomsteetley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 11:40   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsteetley View Post
Ok so I'm now feeling fairly certain I have my heart set on a V60 diesel automatic D4 2014-2016

From time to time I have to drive down long bumpy farm tracks visiting clients. With this in mind should I keep clear of the Rdesign? Does anyone have experience driving both the standard and Rdesign? As much as I like the look of the Rdesign I'm thinking maybe I should stick with the standard for comfort. Probably less chance of the rims getting curbed as my wife gets to grips with driving (she's got her test coming up)
I wouldn’t touch the D4 with a barge pole, that’s if it’s a 4 cylinder D4. They suffer from oil consumption issues, EGR issues, EGR cooler problems. They made modifications in 2017, so if you really want a D4, go for a 2017 plate onwards. That being said, I still think you’re better off with a 5 cylinder engine. If ULEZ doesn’t matter, the 5 cylinder D5 is more frugal… just a better engine, although dearer on road tax and fuel consumption isn’t as good. The 5 cylinder D5 is the best engine Volvo ever made.

If you want comfort, then standard suspension is better for you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 17:14   #13
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I wouldn’t touch the D4 with a barge pole, that’s if it’s a 4 cylinder D4. They suffer from oil consumption issues, EGR issues, EGR cooler problems. They made modifications in 2017, so if you really want a D4, go for a 2017 plate onwards. That being said, I still think you’re better off with a 5 cylinder engine. If ULEZ doesn’t matter, the 5 cylinder D5 is more frugal… just a better engine, although dearer on road tax and fuel consumption isn’t as good. The 5 cylinder D5 is the best engine Volvo ever made.

If you want comfort, then standard suspension is better for you.
The standard suspension cars also have greater ground clearance than the R Design, so that might also be important for you.

Some 16-reg and 66-reg cars have engines with the redesigned pistons and rings, but some don't. Hence, obtaining the engine number is essential. When looking for my good lady's current car, I identified possible candidates, and in every case and whatever the year, I asked for the engine number just to be certain.

I would also encourage test driving both the D3 and the D4 to work out which one has the more suitable driving characteristics, especially when wanting to move off in a hurry (if that's an important consideration). I just found the D3 to be slightly more driver-friendly under such circumstances.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 16:02   #14
tomsteetley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
The standard suspension cars also have greater ground clearance than the R Design, so that might also be important for you.

Some 16-reg and 66-reg cars have engines with the redesigned pistons and rings, but some don't. Hence, obtaining the engine number is essential. When looking for my good lady's current car, I identified possible candidates, and in every case and whatever the year, I asked for the engine number just to be certain.

I would also encourage test driving both the D3 and the D4 to work out which one has the more suitable driving characteristics, especially when wanting to move off in a hurry (if that's an important consideration). I just found the D3 to be slightly more driver-friendly under such circumstances.
Thank you! I do appreciate the D4 is the riskier option. But the speedier acceleration and fuel economy is really tempting!

Once I acquire the engine number where can I check details on piston and rings?

Last edited by tomsteetley; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 16:11.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 07:32   #15
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you! I do appreciate the D4 is the riskier option. But the speedier acceleration and fuel economy is really tempting!

Once I acquire the engine number where can I check details on piston and rings?
Are you asking whether or not it's possible to establish if an earlier engine has been given new pistons and rings?

If so, my guess would be that you would need to be shown paperwork. There'll be no obvious external evidence. Even then, that particular repair isn't 100% guaranteed to work. There might still be scored cylinder walls or knackered valve stem oil seals etc.

If the engine number is higher than the magic number, then you shouldn't need to worry about that work having been done.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:50   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Another downside to the R-Design cars is they have lower profile tyres which are more puncture prone (on farm tracks), expensive and generally don't last as long... you might want to look at a V60 CC? If you get a V60CC the AWD models have the 5-cylinder engine regardless of designation.

I had a 2016 (16-plate) XC60 D4 FWD (VEA) which was a company car, I had it to 54k miles and the chap who had it after me bought it at the end of the lease and still has it now - that car now has over 160k on it and no oil consumption or EGR issues. Only a few cars are affected, it's just that you only get to hear about the ones that go wrong....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 4th, 2024 at 08:53.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 12:27   #17
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Quote:
I can echo Tannaton’s experience with regard to the VEA D4. I had a slightly earlier 65 plate XC60 FWD R-Design from new, and at 2 years old had the EGR and Cooler replaced with the latest spec versions, (I doubt there are many early VEA engines out there that haven’t had these replaced). Aside from this issue the car was serviced on time, every time at the specified mileage, and never missed a beat.

My brother has the car now, apart from needing the usual tyres and brakes the car was utterly reliable, and still going strong to date. The VEA D4 has always been my engine of choice, it has just the right blend of performance with enough power and torque, a good mile muncher.

Another thing to ponder, if you are looking at 2014 cars, this is where the newer facelift cars were introduced and the new VEA engines began making a appearance. This gives you the choice of pre-faclift with 5 cylinder FWD (163 bhp) and six speed Geartronic or facelift VEA 2lt with (181bhp) and slightly later on the D4 VEA became available with the new 8 speed geartronic.

Models - 2014 V60 - Technical Data - Volvo Cars Global Media Newsroom.pdf

Models - 2016 V60 - Technical Data - Volvo Car UK Media Newsroom.pdf
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 09:52   #18
tomsteetley

Thoughts on this one?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404238969732
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 10:01   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Lovely....

It's the facelift model with the new dash and much improved Sensus - I think this is the best system ever as it's up to date but no touch screen!

It's the "Lux" so you have the much nicer TFT instruments (you can change the format/theme) and class leading ABL Xenon headlamps. And it will be a good drive being D5.

Only thing I don't like (which is a personal preference) is the light interior, gets dirty quickly, but that's because I'm a mucky scruffy oik.

I went from a 2015 XC60 back to a 2011 XC90 a year ago as very occasionally I need a 7 seater but I do miss sensus. The voice commands work very well too.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:05.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 11:40   #20
tomsteetley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Lovely....

It's the facelift model with the new dash and much improved Sensus - I think this is the best system ever as it's up to date but no touch screen!

It's the "Lux" so you have the much nicer TFT instruments (you can change the format/theme) and class leading ABL Xenon headlamps. And it will be a good drive being D5.

Only thing I don't like (which is a personal preference) is the light interior, gets dirty quickly, but that's because I'm a mucky scruffy oik.

I went from a 2015 XC60 back to a 2011 XC90 a year ago as very occasionally I need a 7 seater but I do miss sensus. The voice commands work very well too.
Thank you. I’m also not a fan of the beige/cream interior. I’m finding it very hard to find a car that ticks all the boxes.

I’m a surfer so I’d quite likely put seat covers on the front seats anyway but I still can’t help but think I’d find the cream interior distracting.