Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ERAD fault

Views : 13876

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2022, 01:20   #11
moh770

Question Volvo want £10,664.58 for Erad & replacing adaptive lights

Hi guys,

Please help, I have a 2019 Volvo xc90 inscription pro and it was juddering (shaking) at like 5-10mph and 40-50mph, I got the turtle come up on the dash limiting my speed, and I took the car to Paul rigby Volvo in Birmingham, they said the issue is with ERADً (electric rear axle drive) and I need an ERAD transmission, Erad motor and erad inverter replacing, is that all one thing and they are making it sound bigger than what it is, they said £7452.15 for parts and £1024 (ex vat) for labour, coming to a total of £8680.95 for the work, which I think is insane, also my adaptive lights came up with an error and they said they want £1631 to replace them and £184.32 (ex vat) for labour. The total cost for both inc labour and vat came to £10,664.58 inc vat, can someone knowledgable tell me if they are having me on please because this seems insane!
moh770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 01:26   #12
moh770

Question Volvo want £8,680.95 for Erad

Hi guys,

Please help, I have a 2019 Volvo xc90 inscription pro and it was juddering (shaking) at like 5-10mph and 40-50mph, I got the turtle come up on the dash limiting my speed, and I took the car to Paul rigby Volvo in Birmingham, they said the issue is with ERADً (electric rear axle drive) and I need an ERAD transmission, Erad motor and erad inverter replacing, is that all one thing and they are making it sound bigger than what it is, they said £7452.15 for parts and £1024 (ex vat) for labour, coming to a total of £8680.95 for the work, which I think is insane, also my adaptive lights came up with an error and they said they want £1631 to replace them and £184.32 (ex vat) for labour. The total cost for both inc labour and vat came to £10,664.58 inc vat, can someone knowledgable tell me if they are having me on please because this seems insane!
moh770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 09:38   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moh770 View Post
Hi guys,

ERAD failures have typically been the clutch packs. Volvo reengineered these parts and these different parts have been used for a number of years to rebuild the ERAD. Mine had this done. This is typically about a 3k GBP job. Your complete ERAD could of course have failed, but this has not been the typical failure route.

It is also worth noting that when I had a battery overheating issue, as the batteries cut electric drive this caused a very severe and sudden judder, it felt like a drive train failure but in fact was the batteries cutting out. This was eventually diagnosed as a failure of the AC pump which forms part of the cooling system.

The other thing to ask is have you actually noticed a problem with the headlights or did the garage just tell you they were broken? I ask because often when there is a fault in one part of the car and an unexpected shut down it throws fault codes from unrelated areas where there is no fault. Again in my example of an overheating battery, I too got a fault code for the headlights. There was no fault with my lights.

I think you need to do some more digging with the garage and see what real diagnosis they have done. Have they just read the codes or have they done proper diagnosis? These are complicated cars with interconnecting systems and need proper detailed diagnosis from competent and trained technicians. Unfortunately not all main dealers are at that level of competence (but I pass no judgement on your dealer - I have no experience with them at all).

As a final comment I also own a motorhome and read a motorhome magazine called MMM. In a recent issue there a was long story about someone who had repeated problems with their van and it had been back and forth to Peugeot multiple times and had parts replaced according to the fault codes. The customer was at the end of their tether and actually wrote to the magazine for advice on how to reject their new motorhome. The technical advice received from the magazine expert identified an earthing strap which had not been tightened and since then the van has been flawless. All the dealer did was replace parts according to fault codes. When the technical expert at MMM did was systematically fault find using the described symptoms and their experience. The dealer spent a fortune of time and money to achieve nothing and nearly had to buy the van back. The fix cost basically nothing.

Make sure you have proper diagnosis before spending any money.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 09:54   #14
S90
IT Guru

All the stress I see here this is causing people is why I never own a modern car out of warranty.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 10:25   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
All the stress I see here this is causing people is why I never own a modern car out of warranty.
Which is fine, but at 6 years old and 140k miles in my case it is impossible to find a warranty provider.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 10:27   #16
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Which is fine, but at 6 years old and 140k miles in my case it is impossible to find a warranty provider.
I mean I get rid of them at 3yrs old, I would never keep a car out of warranty.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 11:59   #17
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
I mean I get rid of them at 3yrs old, I would never keep a car out of warranty.
Sure, but then you get hit with another 3 years of high depreciation. I guess for you the predictable cost of depreciation is better than the unpredictable cost of repairs. Ultimately though you will end up paying one way or another.

For me, over 3.5 years and 55k miles since I bought my car off the lease company, depreciation has been about 8k (estimated) and all repairs,servicing, tyres, insurance have been 17k (as accurately recorded by me). If I had bought a new T8 back in March 2019 instead I reckon it would have cost me a lot more than 25k over that period and mileage.

Oh and seeing as that 17k was running at about 6k up until my engine change, I was doing really well until about 6 months ago. But even with the massively painful engine bill, averaged over the period it actually looks quite acceptable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:15   #18
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Sure, but then you get hit with another 3 years of high depreciation. I guess for you the predictable cost of depreciation is better than the unpredictable cost of repairs. Ultimately though you will end up paying one way or another.

For me, over 3.5 years and 55k miles since I bought my car off the lease company, depreciation has been about 8k (estimated) and all repairs,servicing, tyres, insurance have been 17k (as accurately recorded by me). If I had bought a new T8 back in March 2019 instead I reckon it would have cost me a lot more than 25k over that period and mileage.

Oh and seeing as that 17k was running at about 6k up until my engine change, I was doing really well until about 6 months ago. But even with the massively painful engine bill, averaged over the period it actually looks quite acceptable.

Yup, horses for courses.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 13:10   #19
Vinesh

Quote:
Hi guys,

I would get another opinion from another garage - Paul Rigby Brum in my experience were not great - Solihull are better.
Vinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinesh For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 19:52   #20
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Surely with a car that age (full service history???) Volvo should cover it or at the very least cover the majority with a goodwill gesture. Wasn't there mention on here previously Volvo were covering ERAD's for 4? or 5? years??

Quote:
Hi guys,