Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Common S60 Problems - Solutions Only

Views : 249806

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 13:58   #1
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Default Common S60 Problems - Solutions Only

Here's a few common problems that come up on the forum, with solutions where possible. Feel free to add your own or correct me, too! Some may apply to the V70 as well...

Note: please don't use this thread to ask about problems - only use it to post solutions you've found.

Door lock popping up - usually on early cars (up to 02?) Currently requires replacement lock although Volvo may pay 50% up to 4 years old.

Power steering fluid loss - either failure of the hose or seam going on the tank. Known problem by Volvo

Air con cutting in after about an hour when parked - normal, it's the system drying itself out.

"Clunk" when moving off - on cars up to MY04 - it's the ABS system test. Doesn't happen on MY05 and later

Turning Circle very poor - it's an S60. Live with it!

to be continued....

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C

Last edited by Alpha206; Nov 19th, 2008 at 22:16.
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:44   #2
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Haynes Manual for S60 - there isn't one. There is one for the "Mk 2" V70, so that may help if the problem is at the front of the car....

****update....The S60 Haynes Manual is now available to order - Book No. 4793.****

MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

Last edited by Alpha206; Feb 21st, 2009 at 18:34. Reason: Manual now available to order
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 13:12   #3
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Thanks to "oilburner" for this one:

"One shot" function causing window to get part way up and then "bounce" down:

Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this controls the door locks and window operation:

- Close all of the doors and bonnet.
- Key in position II engine not running.
- Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
- Release buttons.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.

This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

Worked for mine. I had the same problem after the electric mirror switch was replaced.

EDIT: This may or may not wipe out the settings for the auto-lock, I do not know for certain as mine doesn't do it!

You could also try locking and unlocking the car via the drivers door lock, this might do the same thing - but may also loose your settings, unless the auto-lock is controlled via another of the car's computers - it could be, I don't know for sure.

MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 19:43   #4
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Lights not flashing when locking car with remote - check all doors, bonnet & boot are fully shut; often opening boot/bonnet & slamming shut fixes this!

MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 18:39   #5
shimon340

Applies to R model only but sometimes standard S60s

Axle ping /clunk

Volvo tech bulletin issued as discussed in:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...=101873&page=1

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60005

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=21132
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shimon340 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 17:06   #6
Trevor Langfield

The engine starter is totally dead when the ignition key is turned on.

Solution;
Either have someone hold the key operated whilst you tap the starter motor body with a relatively heavy bar (or similar)
Or
Tap the starter motor body with a relatively heavy bar and then retry starting the car.

Obviously replacing the starter motor would be the best solution but as this problems tends to happen randomly and only on rare occasions, the above solutions have kept me going for over 5 years at no expense.
Trevor Langfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trevor Langfield For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 23:51   #7
switcher
switcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Langfield View Post
The engine starter is totally dead when the ignition key is turned on.

Solution;
Either have someone hold the key operated whilst you tap the starter motor body with a relatively heavy bar (or similar)
Or
Tap the starter motor body with a relatively heavy bar and then retry starting the car.

Obviously replacing the starter motor would be the best solution but as this problems tends to happen randomly and only on rare occasions, the above solutions have kept me going for over 5 years at no expense.
It is not the starter body which requires to be tapped whilst the key is turned to start position but the PRE-ENGAGED SOLENOID ATTACHED TO THE STARTER BODY. Problem is usually caused by the "solenoid" sticking. Tapping whilst energised often frees it. Was first shown this many years ago by AA patrolman when stuck with caravan and auto gearbox car Phew !!
switcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switcher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:04   #8
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by switcher View Post
It is not the starter body which requires to be tapped whilst the key is turned to start position but the PRE-ENGAGED SOLENOID ATTACHED TO THE STARTER BODY. Problem is usually caused by the "solenoid" sticking. Tapping whilst energised often frees it. Was first shown this many years ago by AA patrolman when stuck with caravan and auto gearbox car Phew !!
Seconded. I've had this happen twice - once when the car was fairly new and then again a year or so ago. Other symptoms are often that the car will start if left alone for a while (presumably cooling down frees the solenoid). Solution is take the wire off and clean it down properly.

Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJMurphy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 20:11   #9
pauldale

[QUOTE=Graeme Catnach;265959]Here's a few common problems that come up on the forum, with solutions where possible. Feel free to add your own or correct me, too! Some may apply to the V70 as well...

Power steering fluid loss - either failure of the hose or seam going on the tank. Known problem by Volvo

Thanks for the info Graeme.
I recently had a leak from the power steering reservoir / drain pipe of my S60 D5. (I got through about a litre of fluid in a month). After removing and cleaning the reservoir and pipe, I couldn't see any damage anywhere so just refitted, but tightened the hose-clip that bit extra. It's been fine for a week now. So I think it's worth checking before buying the parts.

Cheers
Paul
pauldale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pauldale For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:20   #10
GMcL
0's and 1's

Handbrake shoe linings separating.
They have just gone on my four and a half year old S60 D5. For some time now I have noticed a delayed release from the handbrake.
Last weekend I went to take the car out the garage to wash it, it had been sitting in the garage for a week in gear, handbrake off. The car would not move off as normal, right rear wheel locked solid. Eventually released after dragging for six feet out of the garage.
Contacted Volvo and told not to drive at speed as the now loose lining(s) could catch in the stub axle causing over one thousand pounds damage.
Car booked into local dealer for new set of rear discs, pads and shoes. Cost quoted at just under £400 before VOC discount.

Covered in this thread among others: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=64804

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:59. Reason: Added thread
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: